Free Agency Thread

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 in '18, none in '19 or '20, 1 in '21 (although it was Amari, so maybe call it none), 3 in '22 and '23
Thanks Half. Much worse than I thought. And yeah, I don't count Amari so that's none in 3 straight years. Kinda strange for Gluten because, if anything, he usually is looking ahead with the draft. He certainly upped his BA in the last two years.

Seems like no one in the FO ever anticipated Adams wanting out. He's not nearly as vocal as Rodgers (well, who is?) but as I recall, he wasn't crazy about communication with the FO either. I know the party line is that he left to play with his buddy Carr in LV. I think that's only part of the story. He was personally just done in GB, and the cupboards were pretty bare. (And if I recall, the Packers countered LV with more money, like $30 mil/year.)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Ryan Pope was the only guy that didn't ring a bell for me. You must not watch much preseason football?
I remember about 5 of these guys, and I don't watch any PS football anymore. Interesting that this is where Sternberger and Amari Rodgers landed - guys who spent a few seasons on the active roster.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Ryan Pope was the only guy that didn't ring a bell for me. You must not watch much preseason football?
Outside of #5-7. which we painful to remember, have to agree that only folks bored enough to really watch PS games would have heard of most of the rest. :)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of #5-7. which we painful to remember, have to agree that only folks bored enough to really watch PS games would have heard of most of the rest. :)
I consider myself a lifelong, diehard fan of the Packers. But the pre-season? I gotta believe there are better ways to evaluate talent and cut down on injuries. But hey, people pay to see the games, sellouts at Lambeau. I get that these games are v important for guys on the bubble.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
3 in '18, none in '19 or '20, 1 in '21 (although it was Amari, so maybe call it none), 3 in '22 and '23

I would say that the 3 Gute drafted in 2018 would be closer to "one", with those 3 being:

- J'Mon Moore : 4th round
- MVS: 5th round
- EQ: 6th round

I looked up J'Mon to see what he has been up to. Surprisingly, he bounced around for cups of coffee with 3 other NFL and 3 USFL teams and last June the NJ Generals suspended and released him. His official stats in 5 or 6 years of "Pro Footbal" is 2 catches for 15 yards and 1 fumble, "all" with the Packers. That my friends is what I call a "true bust".

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess it isn't just PS games that made me familiar with most of the names, was also just staying interested in the Packers day to day roster, whether it was at 53, 90 or even who was on the PS.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say that the 3 Gute drafted in 2018 would be closer to "one", with those 3 being:

I looked up J'Mon to see what he has been up to. Surprisingly, he bounced around for cups of coffee with 3 other NFL and 3 USFL teams and last June the NJ Generals suspended and released him. His official stats in 5 or 6 years of "Pro Footbal" is 2 catches for 15 yards and 1 fumble, "all" with the Packers. That my friends is what I call a "true bust".

Sometimes you get a fourth-round bust (Moore) and sometimes you get a seventh-round steal (Carrington Valentine & Rasheed Walker).

On balance, I think Gutey has done a better-than-average job.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sometimes you get a fourth-round bust (Moore) and sometimes you get a seventh-round steal (Carrington Valentine & Rasheed Walker).

On balance, I think Gutey has done a better-than-average job.
I wasn't attempting to "evaluate" Gute, to do that, one would want to look at ALL of his decisions since he joined the club. All I was pointing out was that the Packers/Gute used 3 picks on WR's in his first draft and besides MVS, they really didn't do much to help improve the Packers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The announcers don't do a very good job of pointing out who the different players are in preseason. So I kind of have to watch for a standout play and try to figure out what kind of competition they are playing against. Like a pass rusher against a lineman. But I'm not really that invested in all the players that are in the mob. Most of the players in the UFL seem to have been part of the mob. Tough for me to see who is doing a really good job on one take with announcers jabbering about who knows what. But yeah, I watch preseason Packers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my experience, the announcers stop jabbering about nonsense when a player makes a good play. Since you're looking to see someone differentiate themselves from the rest of the about-to-be-cut crowd, I feel like you don't need to study anybody too hard. Just look for the standouts.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't attempting to "evaluate" Gute, to do that, one would want to look at ALL of his decisions since he joined the club. All I was pointing out was that the Packers/Gute used 3 picks on WR's in his first draft and besides MVS, they really didn't do much to help improve the Packers.

I agree, they turned out not to be great picks, although two of them are hanging on (barely) in the NFL.

Last season they were able to get Reed & Wicks, also Heath and Melton as free agents. The year before they drafted Watson, Doubs & Toure. Maybe there's a learning curve...He seems to be doing better as of late.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree, they turned out not to be great picks, although two of them are hanging on (barely) in the NFL.

Last season they were able to get Reed & Wicks, also Heath and Melton as free agents. The year before they drafted Watson, Doubs & Toure. Maybe there's a learning curve...He seems to be doing better as of late.
I agree, as far as WR's go, in general Gute has been pretty good or at least around 50/50. I would add Dubose and Amari Rodgers to the list of hits and misses. Kind of the same with TE's. Sternberger and Deguara were duds and so far both Musgrave and Kraft look like they could be smart picks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tough for me to see who is doing a really good job on one take with announcers jabbering about who knows what. But yeah, I watch preseason Packers.
Watching Preseason is much like watching the draft, for announcers and fans. Lot's of hoopla over the "big names" and once they are "done", all that is left is the interesting side stories of the lessor knowns.

Personally, I love watching the final half of preseason games. You get to see guys that didn't get much attention in the draft or in the UDFA signings. Some of these guys really standout and make the team. Malik Heath is one I remember from last year. UDFA thought to just be another camp body on the 90. Practice Squad at best. He started catching eyes at camp and preseason and then he makes the 53 man roster.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So now we are discounting picks because they didn't work out just to further the agenda that Gute ignored the WR room. For the record I've been saying that pretty much about the Packers GMs since Jennings left as I know you have also Poker. Still, when a GM makes a pick you gotta count it as trying even if the guy ends up sucking.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
13 straight games, preferably includes all playoff and SB games. ;)

The problem(s) with lingering injuries like he has had, aren't just the missed games. It's a bunch of things.

- Missed Practices
- Availability unknown
- Roster spot
- coming back too soon
- playing, but not 100%

Throw in the fact that he and Love are just beginning to develop chemistry, which takes time at practice and in games.

At least with an ACL, broken bone, cracked ribs, etc. there is some known healing time and usually you come back when you are 100%. Soft tissue injuries like Watson's can be a lingering cloud over a person, especially an athlete, waiting to spring up at anytime. So until he can play at 100%, with few, if any hammy issues, it's always going to plague his NFL career.

Watson could potentially have a OBJ-like career.

Great production when healthy, obsolete when he isn't.

GB has been utilizing him as a downfield threat, but at 6' 4" around 215-220 lbs, he could be quite effective as a blocker and working the middle of the field opposite Reed.

When he's not 100%, he doesn't see the field, and that's a disservice to the other WRs that battle game in and game out.

This 3rd year is vital, and will determine his future and (critically) his perception around the league.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, as far as WR's go, in general Gute has been pretty good or at least around 50/50. I would add Dubose and Amari Rodgers to the list of hits and misses. Kind of the same with TE's. Sternberger and Deguara were duds and so far both Musgrave and Kraft look like they could be smart picks.

Deguara was at least useful, although not what you hoped for in a third-rounder.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So now we are discounting picks because they didn't work out just to further the agenda that Gute ignored the WR room. For the record I've been saying that pretty much about the Packers GMs since Jennings left as I know you have also Poker. Still, when a GM makes a pick you gotta count it as trying even if the guy ends up sucking.
I agree, effort and results are 2 different things.

In regards to the receiving room, Gute failed more at results, up until 2022. However, I think we can both agree that prior to the Watson pick, TT and Gute's efforts to improve the receiving room were lukewarm, at best. Neither GM invested much of the Packers resources into the WR or TE position since Adams (WR) and Jimmy Graham (TE). I would call what they did over that 8-9 year time period, "lack of strong effort". When I say resources, I mean draft picks (using value) and Free Agent signings, using money spent.

I look at quality, not quantity. Draft pick quality would be a 1st or 2nd round when it comes to a WR. FA quality would be starting WR money. Neither TT or Gute made those kinds of investments since Adams. I don't consider a smattering of 3rd - 7th round picks and a bunch of UDFA's as much of an effort or investment into the receiving room.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
And therein lies the biggest problem. Most everyone, even at the moment when this pick was made, was commenting how it was way too high for him.
Agreed...If they would have used a day 3 pick on Deguara, his lack of production in Green Bay wouldn't be as big of a deal

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And therein lies the biggest problem. Most everyone, even at the moment when this pick was made, was commenting how it was way too high for him.

By like a round. He was a very athletic and productive college prospect that most saw an early Day 3 pick minimum (4th/5th). That young man was being utilized out the gate and then his rookie year injury happened. It has also been confirmed he and Aaron were NOT compatible with each other. Sure I didn't see a 3rd round grade, but I fully expected Gute/GB was going to do all they could to give MLF a H Back type for his offense as it is used a lot.

I wouldn't be shocked one bit to see Deguara see continued mild success and be an NFL H Back role TE for years to come...sometimes you just stall or both sides need a new environment.

I happen to believe Deguara was everything MLF wanted, but simply put wasn't worth investing further in value wise. Between Dillon and other rostered players or draftees they felt they could easily replace his role.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed...If they would have used a day 3 pick on Deguara, his lack of production in Green Bay wouldn't be as big of a deal

Picking him in the 3rd instead of the 4th doesn't matter as much as people feel. Folks only feel this way because the draft is split into 3 days...and those nights between seem to ooze somekind of value that intensifies the difference between the last pick of the 3rd and the first pick of the 4th more than any two picks in the draft.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Picking him in the 3rd instead of the 4th doesn't matter as much as people feel. Folks only feel this way because the draft is split into 3 days...and those nights between seem to ooze somekind of value that intensifies the difference between the last pick of the 3rd and the first pick of the 4th more than any two picks in the draft.
That draft was just crazy to begin with. Drafting Love, Dillon and Deguara with their first 3 selections, had everyone going off the deepend.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, I think we can both agree that prior to the Watson pick, TT and Gute's efforts to improve the receiving room were lukewarm, at best. Neither GM invested much of the Packers resources into the WR or TE position since Adams (WR) and Jimmy Graham (TE). I would call what they did over that 8-9 year time period, "lack of strong effort". When I say resources, I mean draft picks (using value) and Free Agent signings, using money spent.

They neglect the WR/TE room because they didn't care or did they just decide not to throw valuable resources at WR/TE because the biggest barrier to a WR/TE's success in GB was in how they would mesh from a personality standpoint with Rodgers so why expend capital on a 1st if Aaron wasn't going to like a guy and basically freeze them out? Easier to stomach with a 7th rounder or UDFA.

Last edited: