Free agency mock

D

Deleted member 6794

I get that. Again, I'm not saying the Packers should give him a massive contract. But it's foolish to think either Rodgers or Quarless have the same upside of Davis. Davis is only a couple years removed from being one of the top TEs in the NFL. It's a real possibility that much of his drop-off is because he has a QB who can't throw well and he played on an offense that emphasized the run.

Quarless has been in the NFL long enough, on a team that has had a revolving door at TE, to show what kind of player he is. Reliable but his ceiling is low. Rodgers was pretty good in the redzone but he didn't exactly stretch the middle of the field (he didn't get much work at all outside the twenty). Rodgers wil probably improve but Davis is far more athletic and could probably put in a career year playing with Rodgers.

49ers GM Trent Baalke said at the Combine that Davis will stay with the Niners, so no reason to talk about it anymore.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well now that Davis is off the table, we should talk about JJ Watt coming back to his home state! :coffee:

H

HardRightEdge

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
BTW, I linked the "signing their own" jsonline article in post #59. And with regard to the cap and planning ahead, I trust Thompson and Russ Ball, VP of Football Administration/Player Finance (my guess is Murphy has little to do with it).

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just did a free agency mock. Cut hawk and jones of corse. Resigned Bulaga and cobb of corse. Also resigned Raji and Guion, Williams and house, Tolzien and Lattimore. Added Vernon Davis at a cap number of 3.5 million and Percy harvin at a cap number of 4.2 million.

And I started thinking adding harvin for a reasonable cap number while keeping cobb, though had to pay him 10m per over 4, would be insane. Can you imagine having a four wide set with nelson and adams outside and harvin and cobb in the slots. There is no team in the league that could cover those guys not even the seahawks. Whoever has that 4th corner matched up on them on any given play is having a big day. On top of that imagine lining Cobb and harvin up as split backs on either side of rodgers. Teams haven't been able to figure out how to cover Cobb out of the backfield it would be ugly watching them try to cover harvin and Cobb out of the back field on the same play. Either of them is a huge threat to take the hand off, split out wide or to the slot, or come out of the back field on any route. Then you have the return game harvin becomes your primary returner alongside Hyde. And then come playoff time you put Cobb and harvin back deep on kickoffs uh oh that's trouble.

No way am I res-igning Raji if I'm the GM. Too injury prone, and had 1 good year in the league nothing else. Guion will be gone for at least 4 games this season, so we better get a discount from him. I agree with the other resigns. As far as Davis, I'm not sure here, but I understand your thought. I just wonder which Vernon Davis we get, Jim Harbaugh's player or Mike Singletary's? Also Percy Harvin? To do what? Get migraines all season?

H

HardRightEdge

....(my guess is Murphy has little to do with it).
I'd say that's a fair assessment. His past guidance flowing downhill seems to have been related to cash considerations, not cap, as one would expect from the CEO. His name has come up from time to time in the context of having sufficient funds to sign players.

As a football operation, cap is paramount. As a business that balances paying players (and everybody else), stadium expansions and buying $1 million gas stations, cash flow is at the fore.

D

Deleted member 6794

No way am I res-igning Raji if I'm the GM. Too injury prone, and had 1 good year in the league nothing else. Guion will be gone for at least 4 games this season, so we better get a discount from him. I agree with the other resigns. As far as Davis, I'm not sure here, but I understand your thought. I just wonder which Vernon Davis we get, Jim Harbaugh's player or Mike Singletary's? Also Percy Harvin? To do what? Get migraines all season?

I would be fine with bringing both Raji and Guion back for deals near the veteran minimum. Nevertheless the position should be addressed early in the draft.

Once again, 49ers GM Trent Baalke said during the combine that Vernon Davis will stay in San Francisco (he's still under contract).

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair though, Kap took a major step back last season. He tried too hard to be a pocket passer and sucked horribly at it.
I personally think he's a gimmick player who has been thoroughly decoded. He's a very poor passer. I have a cousin and a brother-in-law who are niner fans and they both now admit they let the wrong QB go 2 years ago.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think he's a gimmick player who has been thoroughly decoded. He's a very poor passer. I have a cousin and a brother-in-law who are niner fans and they both now admit they let the wrong QB go 2 years ago.

To be fair, I'm not sure Alex Smith was the 'right' QB either.

Cwoodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? Quarless is what he is, stable but no upside. Rodgers could be an average tight end but his upside is also limited. Davis is a boom or bust guy but if he resurrects his career with an actual quarterback then Davis could again be one of the top five tight ends in the nfl. Do you honestly think Quarless or Rodgers have that upside?
I agree that Davis has a much better chance of being a difference maker in GB but I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay him what it would take to get him to come to GB.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any speculated dollar amount on what it would take to acquire Davis is pretty irrelevant at this point as he is under contract and at this time apparently not going to be released.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just did a free agency mock. Cut hawk and jones of corse. Resigned Bulaga and cobb of corse. Also resigned Raji and Guion, Williams and house, Tolzien and Lattimore. Added Vernon Davis at a cap number of 3.5 million and Percy harvin at a cap number of 4.2 million.

And I started thinking adding harvin for a reasonable cap number while keeping cobb, though had to pay him 10m per over 4, would be insane. Can you imagine having a four wide set with nelson and adams outside and harvin and cobb in the slots. There is no team in the league that could cover those guys not even the seahawks. Whoever has that 4th corner matched up on them on any given play is having a big day. On top of that imagine lining Cobb and harvin up as split backs on either side of rodgers. Teams haven't been able to figure out how to cover Cobb out of the backfield it would be ugly watching them try to cover harvin and Cobb out of the back field on the same play. Either of them is a huge threat to take the hand off, split out wide or to the slot, or come out of the back field on any route. Then you have the return game harvin becomes your primary returner alongside Hyde. And then come playoff time you put Cobb and harvin back deep on kickoffs uh oh that's trouble.

I don't think Ted is going to change his spots, and I'm grateful for that. One guy that might draw some interest from the Pack is Dan Williams, DT with the Cardinals last year. He's only 27 (a year younger than Raji) and would fit in nicely at nose tackle. If BJ looks elsewhere and Guion is suspended, he could be one free agent worth acquiring.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think Ted is going to change his spots, and I'm grateful for that. One guy that might draw some interest from the Pack is Dan Williams, DT with the Cardinals last year. He's only 27 (a year younger than Raji) and would fit in nicely at nose tackle. If BJ looks elsewhere and Guion is suspended, he could be one free agent worth acquiring.

Williams would be a great addition but unfortunately I expect him to demand a huge contract.

Members online

Latest posts