Free agency mock

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just did a free agency mock. Cut hawk and jones of corse. Resigned Bulaga and cobb of corse. Also resigned Raji and Guion, Williams and house, Tolzien and Lattimore. Added Vernon Davis at a cap number of 3.5 million and Percy harvin at a cap number of 4.2 million.

And I started thinking adding harvin for a reasonable cap number while keeping cobb, though had to pay him 10m per over 4, would be insane. Can you imagine having a four wide set with nelson and adams outside and harvin and cobb in the slots. There is no team in the league that could cover those guys not even the seahawks. Whoever has that 4th corner matched up on them on any given play is having a big day. On top of that imagine lining Cobb and harvin up as split backs on either side of rodgers. Teams haven't been able to figure out how to cover Cobb out of the backfield it would be ugly watching them try to cover harvin and Cobb out of the back field on the same play. Either of them is a huge threat to take the hand off, split out wide or to the slot, or come out of the back field on any route. Then you have the return game harvin becomes your primary returner alongside Hyde. And then come playoff time you put Cobb and harvin back deep on kickoffs uh oh that's trouble.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Thompson signing Davis and Harvin while ignoring the defense is pure fantasy IMO, even if you don’t consider that Harvin has played an average of about 7.5 games/season over the last three seasons. And I think you neglected the most important factors in your mock: What do you suppose the cap consequences of re-signing Bulaga, Cobb, Williams, and House would be? Not only this year but going forward?

BTW, I do like Cobb lining up in the backfield but much more for the difficulty it causes Ds in covering him. His production rushing dropped this season: According to nfl.com, over the last three regular seasons, Cobb has gone from 10 rushing attempts for 13.2 ypc, to 4 for 19.5 ypc, to 11 attempts for 3.4 ypc. Very small samples but still… I'm still waiting for him to take a toss right and throw the ball to Jordy for a TD. :D

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
percy harvin a cancer, if cobb resigns then theres no need for him. cobb/nelson/adams/janis i think are a good wr core. TE maybe vernon davis but he don't like to block. I think we need 1 (SHUTDOWN CORNER) and address the LB core.

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all both Vernon Davis and Percy Harvin are still under contract with their respective teams. While it's possible they'll get released I don't want the Packers to pursue any of them.

Richard Rodgers nearly had as many receptions and receiving yards during his rookie season than Davis had in 2014 and I'd rather take Cobb over Harvin any day.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all both Vernon Davis and Percy Harvin are still under contract with their respective teams. While it's possible they'll get released I don't want the Packers to pursue any of them.

Richard Rodgers nearly had as many receptions and receiving yards during his rookie season than Davis had in 2014 and I'd rather take Cobb over Harvin any day.

I couldn't want Vernon Davis less. Can't stand him

PackfansNW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather get a middle linebacker in free agency and take best available in the draft for once.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
By all means lets sign someone with Percy Harvin like skills, oh wait....we may sign Cobb. From everything I have read, Harvin is not a team player and this is what got him sent to the Jets from Seattle and probably why the Visqueens gave up on him as well. Not to mention his inability to stay healthy. Sign Cobb, use a mid round draft on another WR and I think we are set at this position.

Also, don't forget about Jared Abbrederis who will be back from a torn ACL. I think he will give the #4 spot a run for its money, if not the #3

D

Deleted member 6794

I would rather get a middle linebacker in free agency and take best available in the draft for once.

There aren't a lot of free agents available at the position who the Packers should consider. Probably Ray Maualuga and Brandon Spikes being the best of the group.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There aren't a lot of free agents available at the position who the Packers should consider. Probably Ray Maualuga and Brandon Spikes being the best of the group.

I really think the Patrick Willis thing, assuming he becomes available via trade of course, is something we must explore.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a mock through fanspeak if I remember correctly and obviously in their opinion both those guys got released. Harvin is better out of the backfield than Cobb while Cobb is clearly the better WR. I understand Cobb has similar unique skill set as harvin although harvin is faster. Point being that skill set has proven to be hard to cover in the packers offense and having two of those guys would multiple the problem opposing defenses face. As for the harvin is a cancer part. The packers are immune to that when's the last time the packers had a cancer in the locker room problem? Brett Favre? And to say that would be a stretch. From Andre Rison to Koren Robinson troubled WRs fit in when they come to Green Bay. I imagine having Favre and now rodgers throwing you the ball cures a lot.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for salary cap :
Cobb got 4 years 40 million, 20 million guranteed
Laga got 4 years 28 million 14 million guranteed
Harvin got 3 years 13.5 million 6.75 million guranteed
Davis 3 years 12 million 6 million guranteed
House 4 years 12 million 6 million guranteed
Williams 3 years 18 million 9 million guranteed
Raji 1 year 2 million
Guion 2 years 4 million 2 million guranteed
Tolzien 3 years 3 million 1.5 million guranteed
Lattimore 2 years 2 million 1 million guranteed

In the first one I did resigned all same guys and only signed one free agent Jason Pierre Paul for 4 years 40 million 20 million guranteed. 2nd seems more TT like because both Davis and harvin were cut and thus dont count when compensatory picks are awarded. Anyways point is we need to find a real threat of a kick returner and a seam threat TE.

D

Deleted member 6794

As for salary cap :
Raji 1 year 2 million

In the first one I did resigned all same guys and only signed one free agent Jason Pierre Paul for 4 years 40 million 20 million guranteed. 2nd seems more TT like because both Davis and harvin were cut and thus dont count when compensatory picks are awarded. Anyways point is we need to find a real threat of a kick returner and a seam threat TE.

That would result in $40.5 million counting against the cap for next season (based on average salary as you didn't provide how the deals were structured). There's no way the Packers will have that much cap space available.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go check it out for yourself everyone fit beneath the cap. Still had 5 million to sign draft picks plus another 3-4 million for in season flexibility.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cap is set at 145 m for 2015-16
Packers start 19,617,642 beneath cap with a 7,791,106 m carryover from 2014
All of which is correct except the 145 which is an educated guess on their part because cap has not been set yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

Go check it out for yourself everyone fit beneath the cap. Still had 5 million to sign draft picks plus another 3-4 million for in season flexibility.

I tried it with the numbers you provided. It leaves the Packers with $2.7 million cap space after re-signing their own free agents, not enough to sign either Harvin or Davis.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll theorize that at least 75% of the non-guaranteed portion is in the last year salary of the multi-year contracts with a majority of the guaranteed $ as a signing bonus or 2nd year roster bonus.
Too long of a contract for Tramonster with much too high a signing bonus.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for salary cap :
Raji 1 year 2 million

Cobb sounds about right.

I wouldn't want anything to do with Harvin, but I doubt that would be enough even assuming he's cut.

No thanks on Davis. Cameron would be a much better option IMO.

House won't be that cheap I'm afraid to keep him for $3M a year, though I wouldn't want to risk a big offer. Williams seems about right on a per year basis, but I'd prefer a 2 year deal at most.

No arguments with Raji, Guion, or Tolzien. And I think they probably move on from Lattimore. Likely they'll clean house at ILB other than Barrington.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brandon Spikes is pure garbage in coverage. Hes a one trick pony two down LB who is a run stuffer.

We need speed at ILB and someone who can make plays all over the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

Brandon Spikes is pure garbage in coverage. Hes a one trick pony two down LB who is a run stuffer.

We need speed at ILB and someone who can make plays all over the field.

Spikes is great stopping the run though. With the Packers playing a lot of dime packages on obvious passing downs he wouldn't have to drop into coverage a lot of times.

Members online

No members online now.