Franks to the Jets ?

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tight end Bubba Franks, cast aside by the Green Bay Packers after eight seasons with the team, could still be wearing a green uniform in 2008.

According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the New York Jets are close to signing Franks. An announcement could come as early as Monday.

The Jets reportedly considered drafting Franks in 2000, when the team had four first-round picks. Instead, he was taken by the Packers with the fourteenth overall selection. The Jets drafted tight end Anthony Becht with their fourth and final first-round selection that year.

After starting 14 games in 2006, Franks fell out of favor in Green Bay. Supplanted by Donald Lee, Franks appeared in only eight games in 2007, and started only once.

Despite being a three-time Pro Bowler, Franks’ highest receiving yardage came in 2002, when he gained 442 yards on a career-high 54 receptions.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
The Jets had (4) Four First Round Picks in 2000? I do not remember that.

Boy they sure built a future dynasty with that opportunity.

heh, I know, right? Can you imagine ole Teddy with four first round picks?

wow.

Reaction score
This move isn't all that surprising considering the Jets have been looking to improve their blocking. I wish Bubba the best of luck.

Raider Pride said:

heh, I know, right? Can you imagine ole Teddy with four first round picks?

wow.

When I read the first post part about the Jets having 4 first round picks, my first thought was "imagine Ted with 4 picks in the top 32 picks.

That'd be sweet.

On the other hand, it's hard to believe the Jets didn't get more out of that draft.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
When I read the first post part about the Jets having 4 first round picks, my first thought was "imagine Ted with 4 picks in the top 32 picks.

That'd be sweet.

Ted would trade down and end up with all 32 picks in the 7th round.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and now its official. from cbs sportsline:

--TE Bubba Frank has agreed to a one-year, $1.7 million deal with the Jets. Franks has been slowed in recent years by knee problems, but remains a strong blocking tight end and the Jets hope he will provide a receiving threat opposite starter Chris Baker as well.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They can have him... let him drop balls in NY

Well, he appears to have his old hands back. However, his speed has declined to the point my retired next door neighbor can cover him.

b_mckendry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am glad for Bubba. He spent his time well in GB. He needed to move on and have a new opportunity. I am happy Donald Lee and I feel he will be a great replacement for Bubba.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I watched the Seattle playoff game again tonight, and Franks was really laying the wood to defenders and was a big reason Grant broke some of his runs.

I will miss his blocking. I really hope we get another big blocker for next season.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

That'd be sweet.

Ted would trade down and end up with all 32 picks in the 7th round.
LOL

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chan Pennington, Anthony Becht.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jets have had a notorious dodgy relationship with the draft but Mangini seems to be getting it right recently.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be strange to see Bubba in a different uniform. I always thought he was drafted too high for his talent level, but he was a solid player who gave good effort. With the recent injuries, though, it was time to move on.