For Those Concerned About Our Pass Defense

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
There have been 33 300+ yd games so far this season. This is the most ever. It represents a 50% increase over last year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

I think it is a combination of issues. First no OTA's, short camp, no two-a-days. The two a days are when the D gels with each other and the coverage. Reduced padded practices mean poor tackling technique. New rules and enforcements regarding QB's and receivers. Fewer dropped balls because of monster hits, Rushers not being able to run thru the QB (essentially moving Pro football closer to flag football.)

My feeling is that by about week 5 things will be settling down but we are still going to see higher yardage games than we have in the past.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Passing 300 yards in a game is not a significant stat anymore like it was in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Thank Roger Goodell for getting easy on the rules for that.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Bogart. That's actually not that bad of a stat even for an elite D such as ours. Teams today are pass happy anymore, we don't see the running game as we did a decade ago. Maybe the reason our run D is so good is because of lack of running plays.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been 33 300+ yd games so far this season. This is the most ever. It represents a 50% increase over last year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

I think it is a combination of issues. First no OTA's, short camp, no two-a-days. The two a days are when the D gels with each other and the coverage. Reduced padded practices mean poor tackling technique. New rules and enforcements regarding QB's and receivers. Fewer dropped balls because of monster hits, Rushers not being able to run thru the QB (essentially moving Pro football closer to flag football.)

My feeling is that by about week 5 things will be settling down but we are still going to see higher yardage games than we have in the past.
Agreed 100%. GREAT post.

Would also add the longer field position which QBs are working with, due to the new kickoff rules. They're getting more yardage as a result.

And I altered the title.

PS.: To all: if you want something from the mods, anything, be it a change of title, or whatever, just click on the "report" post, and then it'll prompt you to say what's wrong.

That way, all mods will absolutely see it, and someone will take care of it.

Just posting a request for Rob or for the mods on a post can get lost sometimes. There's too much traffic in this site, we try but sometimes we can't see all of them...

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just wish we could play Jay Cutler every week :p

But yeah I agree. The pass defense will get together, with the lockout defenses haven't had as much time to get their instincts honed again for the regular season. They actually did pretty well against the Bears this week.

But as far as I'm concerned, they can give up a thousand yards a game as long as we win.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I trust that Capers will deal with this as the season goes on. I still have concerns though.