For non WI resident Packers fans...dont you hate THIS question?

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a longtime born and raised Pennsylvanian...my dad grew up in the Lombardi era, so naturally became a Packers fan and that was passed down to me (as it will be with our children). But I really really don't understand when I mention to someone that Im a Packers fan I always get "Oh, are you from there?".
Do you REALLY have to be a resident of Wisconsin to be a Packers fan? You NEVER ask a Cowboys fan if they are from Texas, or a 9ers fan if they are from California etc. With such a rich history why do people assume Packers fans are only from WI? Whaddup with that?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh, I get it all the time. "You're from New Jersey and you're a Packer fan???" Like I could only be a Giants or Jets fan.

Reaction score
Your right.. I've been asked that many times.. I'm native to WI so I say.. "ever since that Brett Favre guy texted.. I've been a fan" They generally shake their heads and leave me alone after that..

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I am just the opposite. Growing up 30 miles from Green Bay no one can understand how it is possible that I became a Vikings fan. They think there must be something wrong with me. I should have been Packer fan because I grew up so close to Green Bay.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just the opposite. Growing up 30 miles from Green Bay no one can understand how it is possible that I became a Vikings fan. They think there must be something wrong with me. I should have been Packer fan because I grew up so close to Green Bay.

How did you end up a Vikings fan?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've lived most of my life in New York(Although I'm currently in Vermont) and I always get asked that. I don't see why it's so weird to be a Packers fan, anyway. It's not like I'm a Jaguars fan. The Packers are a nationally popular team, with a long run of success. They are all over the country, yet people act surprised.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He's related the story several times here. He was tragically dropped on his head as a child on a purple rug and he just hasn’t been … quite right … since. :D However, the location of his birth has made one of the more reasonable Vikings fans (a very small group).

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
He's related the story several times here. He was tragically dropped on his head as a child on a purple rug and he just hasn’t been … quite right … since. :D However, the location of his birth has made one of the more reasonable Vikings fans (a very small group).
Actually I was thrown against a purple wall! :)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Comes from a combination of being teased by Packer fans because I stuttered, a new color TV and watching a game between the Viking and the Packers, my love of the color purple at the time, and how much the Vikings winning annoyed the Packer fans at school. Mostly I don't blame those Packer fans that teased me, being a Viking fan in Packer country made me stand out. Which being a runt at the time, I never did. It would have been a lot harder had the Packers been consistent winners after Lombardi left, but they did me a favor by sucking for 20 years.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really have that problem in Northern, North East Iowa you're either a Packers fan or Vikings fan. Though I do have the problem when ever i'm in Wisconsin and everyone assumes i'm a Iowa Hawkeyes fan.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
So this happens to other Pack fans? I get asked that ALL the time! I've never even been to Wisconsin!!
Well, I have to say, anyone who has never been to Wisconsin, it's your loss. I would move back in a heartbeat if my wife could take the cold winter weather. I do go back on a regular basis to visit family, who are still trying to convert me to being a Packer fan.

And remember, the last word in Wisconsin, is sin. :devilish::D

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I have to say, anyone who has never been to Wisconsin, it's your loss. I would move back in a heartbeat if my wife could take the cold winter weather. I do go back on a regular basis to visit family, who are still trying to convert me to being a Packer fan.

And remember, the last word in Wisconsin, is sin. :devilish::D
I was born in Mankato Minnesota!! I remember the freezing winters! Wisconsin winters are just as cold.. I hope to go to a game at Lambeau some day. As of now I am stationed in San Diego but make trips to Hawaii. I am used to the warm weather now.

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I now live in Argentina... most never watch football here and most never heard of the Packers. But most men are interested in learning a bit about the rules of "American Football" as they call it.

Raptorman... I have run into 1 Vikings fan here, young guy from Argentina that loves American Football. I will see an occasional jersey or tee shirt (maybe 1 time a month) for a team. NBA is much more popular here... they like/understand baseball even less than American Football.

Obviously my family here is now Packers fans... but only my father in law watches a game now and then.

But I did grow up close to Green Bay... so obvious how I became a fan.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before I even clicked on the thread, I knew what the question was going to be. Living in the south, I've been asked that, especially since the majority of people are Cowboys fans in my area.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comes from a combination of being teased by Packer fans because I stuttered, a new color TV and watching a game between the Viking and the Packers, my love of the color purple at the time, and how much the Vikings winning annoyed the Packer fans at school. Mostly I don't blame those Packer fans that teased me, being a Viking fan in Packer country made me stand out. Which being a runt at the time, I never did. It would have been a lot harder had the Packers been consistent winners after Lombardi left, but they did me a favor by sucking for 20 years.

Thanks for the explanation Raptor.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
A lot of people pronounce it with a "sun" sound. "wis con sun" So many think the spelling is son, not sin. Idiots I tell you.
Absolutely.

And then there's the unfortunately popular wes-con-sun (as opposed to east-con-sun I guess).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. That's sick. I'm convinced there IS something seriously wrong with you.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a Cubs fan in Wisconsin which baffles people even though the explanation is simple. If I wanted to watch a baseball team growing up it was either the Braves or the Cubs on tv. Brewers? Never saw them on tv on a regular basis.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fortunately most of us "Yoopers" in Michigans Upper Peninsula Are Packers fans so it's usually only the odd Lions fan that will ask such a ridiculous question in an attempt to put us in our place.

Members online

Latest posts