Football Gameplan's 2012 Draft Grades Special - Packers

EmDiggy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Good afternoon Packers fans! Here's my Draft Grades video for you guys!

Enjoy!

Em

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I've seen the grade of "B" be a fairly common grade for this draft. Yet, many say they love Worthy, Hayward, and even Perry. The main 'concern' I've heard about Perry is his transition to outside linebacker and dropping in coverage. Considering the amount of non-base defense the Packers play, Perry's main job will be to rush the passer and with his athleticism, he should be effective in doing so. To me, that makes three solid-to-great picks (the video even calls Perry a "steal) in the first three players, a great value pick in LB Manning (some had him as high as the 2nd round), and at least one late round guy with potential to be solid depth in LT Datko. To me, that's definitely seems like a "A-" grade and at worst a "B+."

I've said it before, but I think the concerns with Perry are way over blown in terms of his coverage ability. As long as he can provide some pass rush, it will be a really good pick. That then frees up Woodson and CM3 to be the "rover" guys that opposing offenses have to guess what they're going to do each play. Given CM3's coverage ability, this seems like an ideal situation.

So yes, a B seems a little harsh to me, but "draft grades" are nothing more than initial impressions (not sure why that's so often misunderstood). Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Hopefully these guys can stay healthy and prove their worth sooner rather than later!

OP
OP
E

EmDiggy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen the grade of "B" be a fairly common grade for this draft. Yet, many say they love Worthy, Hayward, and even Perry. The main 'concern' I've heard about Perry is his transition to outside linebacker and dropping in coverage. Considering the amount of non-base defense the Packers play, Perry's main job will be to rush the passer and with his athleticism, he should be effective in doing so. To me, that makes three solid-to-great picks (the video even calls Perry a "steal) in the first three players, a great value pick in LB Manning (some had him as high as the 2nd round), and at least one late round guy with potential to be solid depth in LT Datko. To me, that's definitely seems like a "A-" grade and at worst a "B+."

I've said it before, but I think the concerns with Perry are way over blown in terms of his coverage ability. As long as he can provide some pass rush, it will be a really good pick. That then frees up Woodson and CM3 to be the "rover" guys that opposing offenses have to guess what they're going to do each play. Given CM3's coverage ability, this seems like an ideal situation.

So yes, a B seems a little harsh to me, but "draft grades" are nothing more than initial impressions (not sure why that's so often misunderstood). Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Hopefully these guys can stay healthy and prove their worth sooner rather than later!

Agreed!! Draft Grades are mostly the grading of the talent of the pick with the need/selection. I think Datko has the potential to be the real sleeper/steal of this class

Members online