Folks we are a young team....

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
What more do you expect for a young team.. we will have days where we make some stupid or careless plays...

But what really sank the boat was the veterans on the team making the same type of mistakes..

Favre's silly throw.. WHY?

Woodson.. fumbles the ball... then laugh about it.. Careless!!

Tauscher and Clifton making mistakes... Chad blew a couple of blocks and Mark a bad holding penalty..

Barnett with a bad penalty... even though the Wolffe had a hold of his as well... he knew it right away...

MM is only in his second year... he will have bad games as well, but if he is the coach we thought... he will learn from this game.

This might be a blessing in the long run.. we will be focused this week. Next week will be telling whether we are for real or not.. can we come back out and stand again.

Reaction score
I agree, this may be a blessing in disguise.

The fact is that we were undisciplined, and it wasn't just this week. It's been a reoccurring problem, and hopefully this loss sets the wheels in motion to fix things.

I hope McCarthy sorts out our turnover problem (at least the fumbling problem).

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What more do you expect for a young team.. we will have days where we make some stupid or careless plays...

But what really sank the boat was the veterans on the team making the same type of mistakes..

Favre's silly throw.. WHY?

Woodson.. fumbles the ball... then laugh about it.. Careless!!

Tauscher and Clifton making mistakes... Chad blew a couple of blocks and Mark a bad holding penalty..

Barnett with a bad penalty... even though the Wolffe had a hold of his as well... he knew it right away...

MM is only in his second year... he will have bad games as well, but if he is the coach we thought... he will learn from this game.

This might be a blessing in the long run.. we will be focused this week. Next week will be telling whether we are for real or not.. can we come back out and stand again.

I hear what you are saying Pack93z but McCarthy is the leader. It is his job to make the playcalls that give the guys the best chance to succeed. He didn't do that.

Mistakes happen every game. The coach cannot let the mistakes take him out of his gameplan. I just feel McCarthy needs to be somewhat more aggressive and get a grip on his emotions.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
I hear what you are saying Pack93z but McCarthy is the leader. It is his job to make the playcalls that give the guys the best chance to succeed. He didn't do that.

Mistakes happen every game. The coach cannot let the mistakes take him out of his gameplan. I just feel McCarthy needs to be somewhat more aggressive and get a grip on his emotions.

I agree that MM shouldn't let it affect him, but alas he is a really a 2nd year HC that has never played a larger game trying to provide a knockout shot to the Bears and take a strangle-hold on the division. He is part of the youth of this team.. to me, this will be telling how good of a coach he really is. Does he learn from it, provide the leadership this week to recoop the emotions of this young team and come out focused for Washington next week.

Can he hold it together... it should be telling.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB94SACKEM said:

I agree that MM shouldn't let it affect him, but alas he is a really a 2nd year HC that has never played a larger game trying to provide a knockout shot to the Bears and take a strangle-hold on the division. He is part of the youth of this team.. to me, this will be telling how good of a coach he really is. Does he learn from it, provide the leadership this week to recoop the emotions of this young team and come out focused for Washington next week.

Can he hold it together... it should be telling.

Agreed, I don't dislike McCarthy at all. I just don't know if he is ever going to be able to have the Brass Balls you need to get the job done. He gets rattled very easily and it seems the team feeds off of it.

He's on his game when things are going well, but when faced with adversity he gets rattled. He's young, maybe it will come with experience.

I am just really down on his playcall tonight

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't put it all on MM...no doubt ignoring his wrs for last 30 mins was awful...

but players need to own up too...brett, barnett and woodson made SSSTTTTUUUPPPIIIIDDDDD game changing plays. You can maybe blame stuff like that on the coach w/ rooks, but not 5+ year nfl vets

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't put it all on MM...no doubt ignoring his wrs for last 30 mins was awful...

but players need to own up too...brett, barnett and woodson made SSSTTTTUUUPPPIIIIDDDDD game changing plays. You can maybe blame stuff like that on the coach w/ rooks, but not 5+ year nfl vets

McCarthy got his own team rattled when he started playing not to lose. The players feed off of that. There were silly penalties by veterans but many many more by the young players. I don't put this on any one mistake, by veteran or young guy, but the entire 2nd half gameplan made it near impossible to pull out a win. MM let the mistakes effect him, that is why I hold MM more accountable

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
being young is not an excuse for not winning a game that was in our hands.

I agree, but in youth, lack of experience and silly mistakes from veterans.. it isn't a winning combination..

A little humble pie was served... now will we return next week and spit it back out?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
musccy said:
McCarthy got his own team rattled when he started playing not to lose. The players feed off of that. There were silly penalties by veterans but many many more by the young players.

PENALTY on GB-37-A.Rouse ( kick off)
PENALTY on GB-99-C.Williams, Illegal Formation
PENALTY on GB-31-A.Harris, Face Mask
PENALTY on GB-80-D.Driver, Offensive Pass Interference
PENALTY on GB-9-J.Ryan, Delay of Game
PENALTY on GB-56-N.Barnett, Illegal Contact
PENALTY on GB-31-A.Harris, Illegal Use of Hands, 5 yards, enforced at CHI 46 - No Play.
Penalty on GB, Defensive 12 On-field
PENALTY on GB-37-A.Rouse, Offensive Holding, 9 yards, enforced at GB 19. ( kick off)
PENALTY on GB-24-J.Bush, Player Out of Bounds on Punt
Barnett). PENALTY on GB-56-N.Barnett, Face Mask
PENALTY on GB-65-M.Tauscher<<< was 1st real back breaker, went from 1st and ten on 23 to 1st and 20 on the 13>>>

PENALTY on GB-72-J.Spitz, Offensive Holding <<< was 2nd and 3, then went to 2nd and 20 at GB 23>>>

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks for the penalty info ltp! Basically a 50/50 mix of vet to young guy penalties.

MM certainly contributed to the collapse, but I still think that vets need to know better...barnett just shoves the rb out of bounds rather than "hog collaring" and facemasking him, and the pack get the ball back with decent field position. woodson is less careless w/ the football and we have the ball at the 40, etc.

Bottom line, about everyone except for Crosby and maybe the water boy should be blamed for this loss.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About half and half. And how many Offensive Breakdowns did we have with th O-line in the 2nd half? How many missed tackles did Bush have? 2 fumbles by Jones. Who gave up the game winning TD?

The young guys hurt us here, that is expected. The veterans made mistakes, again expected. Are you really going to blame Barnett for the Facemask? The William lining up over the center was a ******* call as well. Harris and Woodson are going to get penalties when they are pressing.

I'm not laying the blame on the penalties. I'm laying the blame on the lack of being able to overcome penalties with the nail biting, "we might lose" playcall.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The young guys hurt us here, that is expected. The veterans made mistakes, again expected. Are you really going to blame Barnett for the Facemask? The William lining up over the center was a ******* call as well. Harris and Woodson are going to get penalties when they are pressing.

I'm not laying the blame on the penalties. I'm laying the blame on the lack of being able to overcome penalties with the nail biting, "we might lose" playcall.

Uh, that facemask was pretty huge, or so it seemed at the time. It was the difference between a punt and a first down at midfield, if I remember (but I cannot remember how that drive ended). That shouldn't take away from Barnett's performance, it seemed to me he was having a huge game.

But anyway, don't underestimate all of the penalties as a whole. It was enormous, many of them were at crucial times. The "over center" crap was total BS, but other stuff, like the holding penalties, etc. really killed us and need to be addressed. I'm sure they will be.. coaches hate that kind of stuff, it kills em.

Members online

Latest posts