1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Flynn or Scott who is it

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Getting ready for the big news..

2. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483
    @TomSilverstein: #Packers are keeping both Flynn and Tolzien, according to a league source.

3. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +850
    Wow! Good news I would think...but I'm sure i'll hear otherwise...;)

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Interesting

5. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Rumor is more than expected ir players which left open another spot

6. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    My guess is someone wanted a trade but wouldn't meet TTs price. Hoping to get someone else or try to wait him out.

7. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Something doesn't fit. You cut Banjo AND Rolle and most likely another baller or two and open up a 3rd QB spot?

8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,746
    It's simple. You must have 3 QBs in the domain that have at least familiarity with the system. #3 might actually have to play.

Rettig was a stiff.

It's too late to sign a guy to the practice squad; he would not be able to play this year for lack of training.

9. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,802
    Better safe than sorry, I guess.

10. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483
    If true then the whole Brett thing never would have happened

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,643
    I'm fine with keeping both Flynn and Tolzien. Hopefully none of them will get any meaningful snaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Last year Tolzien was signed to the PS after last cuts. Wallace went to the 53. How different would the season have been if Wallace isn't injured in his 1st start so that Tolzien doesn't HAVE TO play? Say Wallace bombs out after 3-4 games. Would Flynn have been brought back in the off season? TT then draft a QB in rounds 6 or 7? Or say Wallace is competent for 5-7 games. He get resigned?

13. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,746
    Please cite an example where the Packers' #3 QB was a practice squad guy picked up at the last minute, consequently having no experience in the system and little in the league on the eve of week 1.

14. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,631
    See previous post or think aaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllll the way back to last season. Scott Tolzien ring a bell?

• Like Like x 1
  15. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    There is an obvious difference between being objective in setting up the roster and then being emotional in letting players go who you have come to know and have seen work their arse off. If Thompson and McCarthy were emotional in making roster decisions it would follow that they would repeatedly have one of the oldest rosters in the league. Instead of course, they repeatedly let older players go and repeatedly have one of the youngest rosters in the league. And that’s Thompson’s philosophy – build through the draft – which he is as disciplined and objective in following as any GM in the league.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I don’t favor keeping Kuhn but because they did doesn’t mean their decision was based on emotion; he knows the offense as well as anyone on the roster with the possible exception of Rodgers. Bush is still a STs ace and can provide “deep” backup at CB and S. He also excels at blitzing. IOW, there are objective reasons to keep them even if fans disagree. They did offer Jennings a multi-year deal but they also refused to go higher to keep him. They determined his value to the team and unemotionally let him walk. Raji wanted more than they offered and when he was ready to come back to the team, they unemotionally took that offer off the table and made him earn his next payday. Keeping Flynn and Tolzien is just smart and it’s relatively low cost. As HRE points out, they almost always go into a season with two backup QBs who have been trained in their system. Usually one is on the PS but that option isn’t available this year. Keeping Harrell and Sherrod “too long” had/has nothing to do with emotion – toward the end of each player’s contract it became a low risk proposition – the big money was already spent. Both were first rounders, at that point may as well see if they begin to fulfill their potential.
    You’re kidding, or you should be. Here are your words I responded to:
    There is no nuance about “many factors” in the bolded sentence. And that Thompson has stated more than once for a reliance on youth is it’s a young man’s game and they prefer players who haven’t been taught bad habits from other NFL teams. And it’s cost and cap friendly. There are logical and unemotional reasons for all of your examples and the big picture remains unchallenged by you: Staying one of the youngest teams in the league means saying goodbye to vets more often than other teams. Because they have to deal with players on a human level does not mean they are emotional about making roster decisions. Thompson's philosophy of draft and develop, discipline in sticking to his draft board, and maintaining one of the youngest rosters in the league speak to the opposite.

17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,746
    You win the prize for the correct answer!

And how do you think that worked out?

Not 12 months have passed since the Packers had to go 3 deep at the position with a PS player without off season work with the team, with clearly unsatisfying results.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  18. Joe Nor Cal Packer

Joe Nor Cal Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +122
    A lot of comments about players being kept for "emotional" reasons. I don't buy that. This is a business they are in and the business is winning. TT believes draft and develop is the best way to do that. The Packers consistently are one of the youngest teams in the NFL. That doesn't happen if you keep players just because you like them and can't let them go. It also makes sense to maintain a certain amount of leadership on the team, and I think that better explains why they keep some players - Hawk and Driver come to mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. 60six

60six DIE HARD

Ratings:
    +65
    Disagree.......a FB is a blocker, nothing more......and Kuhn is good at what he does. Why waste a draft pick on just a blocker.

The FB postion has been fazed out in the NFL......the staff played it right, bring in a FA and see how it plays out in camp

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Here's a concept you have struggled with more than once during your brief participation on this board: The person advancing an idea has the responsibility to back it up. You initially brought up the idea of emotion but it is you that hasn't backed it up. For each instance you claimed they did something out of emotion, I posted a reason emotion played no part in it. What you haven't and can't address is the big picture. As Joe Nor Cal Packer echoed what I posted above, a GM can't have trouble emotionally letting players go and repeatedly have one of the youngest rosters in the league.

BTW, what Kuhn brings that no rookie could is his vast knowledge of the offense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    I like that Wolf and Thompson have some emotion when they were the GM. It's the Green Bay Packers not the NY Giants.

22. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    jennings and raji "offers" were rumors. No solid proof.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    link from the packers confirming offer?

24. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,643
    I don´t like the Packers to spend a draft pick on a fullback. A team can pick up a FB off the street and have a reliable player at the position for years. Just take a look at how the Packers acquired Kuhn.

25. Eli Haugen

Eli Haugen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +255
    I think Flynn has more value here than on another team. And Tolzien is just too good to just discard. Couple more years in the GB QB school, and he could be very good. Either way, I like 3 QBs on the roster. Favre, Hasselbeck, Brunell. That was a good feeling. Even if Favre never missed a game, and the two were never needed, it was nice comfort zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.