Five knee-jerk reactions to Packers first training camp practice

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk looked great his rookie year IMO. He came into the screen like john lynch used to... Horizontal, and head first! After the first year that stopped, and he seemed to settle in for a long career instead of a great one... It worked too.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk looked great his rookie year IMO. He came into the screen like john lynch used to... Horizontal, and head first! After the first year that stopped, and he seemed to settle in for a long career instead of a great one... It worked too.

It worked for him I guess. He had a long healthy career and made money. Didn't work out so well for out D over the long haul.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting he wasn't trying to be better. He was a pro if nothing else.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawks problem was he was the #5 pick overall and he never lived up to it. If he would have been drafted in any other round but the first, and maybe even in the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the first he would have been considered a good pick.

His production is not what you hope for or expect with a top 5 or 10 pick so he was a bust but there have been lots of top 5 picks that have given their team a lot less than what Hawk gave us. I expected and hoped for more but as adambr2 says at the time he was pretty much a no brainer pick. Just like Mandarich was way back when.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have a hard time criticizing the Hawk pick. He disappointed, but at the time it was seen as a no brainer pick around the league for us at 5.

It's true Hawk was considered a top 10 prospect at the time of the 2006 draft. Taking a look back it was a weak draft overall.

Hawks problem was he was the #5 pick overall and he never lived up to it. If he would have been drafted in any other round but the first, and maybe even in the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the first he would have been considered a good pick.

His production is not what you hope for or expect with a top 5 or 10 pick so he was a bust but there have been lots of top 5 picks that have given their team a lot less than what Hawk gave us.

Hawk was a consummate pro but his production would only have justified spending a mid-round pick at best on him.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both are going through the league´s concussion protocol as of now. With more than a month to go before the regular season opener I don´t see any reason one of them will be put on IR because of it.
The reason is that they will be stored for next season instead of being released. But we will see.

D

Deleted member 6794

The reason is that they will be stored for next season instead of being released. But we will see.

That only would be an option if neither of Abbrederis and Coxson would be able to return to practice before the start of the regular season. I don't expect that to happen.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That only would be an option if neither of Abbrederis and Coxson would be able to return to practice before the start of the regular season. I don't expect that to happen.
I agree, I think it's time to get on the field, for abbrederis anyway. Coxson is just a rookie right?, but still, they're going to want to see some more. If a concussion is keeping someone on the the sideline for an entire training camp, i'd let them go anyway.

White just doesn't get me that excited as a number 5. I have a feeling all his positive press is as much about Janis not performing and Abbrederis not being available as it is on how he actually looks.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, I think it's time to get on the field, for abbrederis anyway. Coxson is just a rookie right?, but still, they're going to want to see some more. If a concussion is keeping someone on the the sideline for an entire training camp, i'd let them go anyway.

First of all Coxson has to show something to the coaching staff for them to even consider keeping him around. Abbrederis has to get on the field and finally prove he´s capable of staying healthy. Otherwise it doesn´t make sense to keep him around either.

White just doesn't get me that excited as a number 5. I have a feeling all his positive press is as much about Janis not performing and Abbrederis not being available as it is on how he actually looks.

White has caught almost everything thrown his way during camp so far. It sure has helped that Janis hasn´t progressed that much and Abbrederis has been injured but he has benefitted from getting more reps.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
White has caught almost everything thrown his way during camp so far. It sure has helped that Janis hasn´t progressed that much and Abbrederis has been injured but he has benefitted from getting more reps.
That's what they tell us, I haven't seen him this year, so i have nothing to go off of. Maybe he has progressed tremendously from where he was. I guess we'll find out when they get on the field, but seeing him in the past just never made me think he was any more than maybe a bit better than guys that weren't ever going to play anyway. and all offseason we've heard about Janis making strides and now the few reports i've read, paint a much different picture. And Abbrederis can't get on the field.

It's early in camp and there's plenty of time for someone to step up and take it. It appears there's plenty of room for someone to step up and take it too. I hope this is a case of White really performing and running great routes and catching every ball, but part of me thinks all this positive press is just as much about a talented, athletic guy that hasn't put it together yet and a smart hard worker that can't stay on the field and putting pressure on them to see how they respond. If they respond.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's what they tell us, I haven't seen him this year, so i have nothing to go off of. Maybe he has progressed tremendously from where he was. I guess we'll find out when they get on the field, but seeing him in the past just never made me think he was any more than maybe a bit better than guys that weren't ever going to play anyway. and all offseason we've heard about Janis making strides and now the few reports i've read, paint a much different picture. And Abbrederis can't get on the field.

It's early in camp and there's plenty of time for someone to step up and take it. It appears there's plenty of room for someone to step up and take it too. I hope this is a case of White really performing and running great routes and catching every ball, but part of me thinks all this positive press is just as much about a talented, athletic guy that hasn't put it together yet and a smart hard worker that can't stay on the field and putting pressure on them to see how they respond. If they respond.

I agree that I want to see him play in preseason games before I get excited about White as well. I´m not able to attend training camp practices so the reports from various sources are the only information I get about it. White seems to be stronger which results in a better performace after the catch. As long as he can´t do it in games though it doesn´t mean anything.

I don´t think the reports about White having a great camp have anything to do with lighting a fire under Abbrederis or Janis though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Robert Tahan contributes to Packers Notes when he can make it to TC practices. Both of these reports are more than a week old and of course just one person’s opinion. From July 31st:
Myles White, aka Mr. August, is once again making plays in training camp. After two practices, the third-year wide receiver has been the most impressive pass catcher not named Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb or Davante Adams. Unfortunately, the third-year pro from Louisiana Tech still reminds me of a baseball player who excels in Triple A, but struggles in the majors. There’s just something missing. He’s pretty good at everything, but not really good at anything. That’s why I can see White outplaying many of his fellow young receivers this summer, and still getting demoted in September.
http://packersnotes.com/2015/07/backup-qbs-are-struggling/

From August 1st:
I have serious doubts whether Jeff Janis can ever be a No. 1 or even a No. 2 wide receiver at this level. He isn’t overly explosive off the line or sudden in his breaks. But if used correctly, his size and speed should make him a useful role player on offense and a stud on special teams…
http://packersnotes.com/2015/08/ringo-could-be-daniels-2-0/

While both reports have negative elements, IMO it doesn't negate either player's ability to contribute as a #5 WR and STs player. Being "pretty good at everything" isn't negative for a WR at the bottom of the depth chart. And neither is having serious doubts Janis can ever be a No. 1 or 2. He doesn't have to be.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all Coxson has to show something to the coaching staff for them to even consider keeping him around. Abbrederis has to get on the field and finally prove he´s capable of staying healthy. Otherwise it doesn´t make sense to keep him around either.

What's the problem with Janis? I haven't been following that closely and thought he was close to a lock. Injury or just not playing well?

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robert Tahan contributes to Packers Notes when he can make it to TC practices. Both of these reports are more than a week old and of course just one person’s opinion. From July 31st:
http://packersnotes.com/2015/07/backup-qbs-are-struggling/

From August 1st: http://packersnotes.com/2015/08/ringo-could-be-daniels-2-0/

While both reports have negative elements, IMO it doesn't negate either player's ability to contribute as a #5 WR and STs player. Being "pretty good at everything" isn't negative for a WR at the bottom of the depth chart. And neither is having serious doubts Janis can ever be a No. 1 or 2. He doesn't have to be.
Agree I never envisioned Janis as more than a 4 or 5 but able to stretch the secondary with his speed in multiple WR sets. And be a gunner on STs. Actually it would be good if that came true. But I hear he's struggling in camp. Any insight on that?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There is Talk about Janis in this thread.. I recalled another one from last year.

No baiting intended. Opinions can change over time..

Ignored till I felt things settled

Shall we bring up your email how you never wanted to come back?

It's okay that you changed your mind and be allowed back, but I can't change my mind

D

Deleted member 6794

What's the problem with Janis? I haven't been following that closely and thought he was close to a lock. Injury or just not playing well?

Here´s a link to an article in today´s Journal Sentinel about Janis´ struggles in camp so far. The biggest issues seem to be him body catching a lot of balls and not being smooth when there´s a lot of sudden change in movement during routes.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...struggling-in-camp-b99555431z1-321698201.html

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here´s a link to an article in today´s Journal Sentinel about Janis´ struggles in camp so far. The biggest issues seem to be him body catching a lot of balls and not being smooth when there´s a lot of sudden change in movement during routes.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...struggling-in-camp-b99555431z1-321698201.html
Thanks. He looked good last night, as he did last year in pre-season. He does seem to be very fast off the line of scrimmage if the defender plays off. He just blew past some defender last night on that touchdown. It was also a perfect throw. The body catching is a bad habit that I hope could be fixed. But if he can't move smoothly in his routes he becomes a one-trick pony, and that's easily defended by bumping him off the line.

I'm undecided on the guy. He is both tall AND fast and Gb could use some of that. He looks taller than Nelson but that may or may not be true. The thing though is if they cut him, who else is having a good enough preseason to take that spot? Abbrederis in injury prone - so much so that he can't play enough to ***** his talent. I don't know enough about the other WRs to know if there's someone better.

Finally I'm reading that White played well last night. Maybe I missed it. I saw him drop at least two passes, and he seems timid if a hit is imminent. I'm not sure but I'm not in White's corner. I still think it will be Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery and Janis. If there is a sixth, who do you think has the edge so far?

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So be it then.
Don't worry about it GoPGo. I don't know about longtimefan but there are others on the forum who seem to like disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, or they have opinions that they feel are above being challenged or changed. I'm here to learn as well as express my own opinion, but that seems to draw ire from some who seem to want to always be right. Whatever. With them I've just ignored the disagreement and ask a question here and there. The constant back and forth is silly and I'm embarassed I ever got sucked into it in the first place.

I like this forum in spite of these problems. Just wish there was a little more mutual support rather than some very evident insecurity.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks. He looked good last night, as he did last year in pre-season. He does seem to be very fast off the line of scrimmage if the defender plays off. He just blew past some defender last night on that touchdown. It was also a perfect throw. The body catching is a bad habit that I hope could be fixed. But if he can't move smoothly in his routes he becomes a one-trick pony, and that's easily defended by bumping him off the line.

There have been a lot of great body-catching WRs over the years. Most recently, Wes Welker comes to mind. Gary Clark was another. So was Lynn Swan. I'll less concerned about how a guy catches the ball than I am that he catches the ball.

Finally I'm reading that White played well last night. Maybe I missed it. I saw him drop at least two passes, and he seems timid if a hit is imminent. I'm not sure but I'm not in White's corner. I still think it will be Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery and Janis. If there is a sixth, who do you think has the edge so far?

I'd say White has a tenuous hold on that spot right now, but could easily lose it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm undecided on the guy. He is both tall AND fast and Gb could use some of that. He looks taller than Nelson but that may or may not be true. The thing though is if they cut him, who else is having a good enough preseason to take that spot? Abbrederis in injury prone - so much so that he can't play enough to ***** his talent. I don't know enough about the other WRs to know if there's someone better.

There's no doubt in my mind that Janis has the speed to get separation against a lot of corners in the NFL and that body catching the ball isn't an issue as long as he's wide open.

He has to prove that he's capable of increasing his catch radius to haul in contested catches though as well as improve his short to intermediate route running. Otherwise teams would provide the corner covering Janis with safety help over the top and shut him down.

I'm convinced Janis will make the team, we'll see if he gets any significant playing time in the regular season.

I wasn't impressed with White vs. the Patriots at all. It seems he has made a ton of plays in practice but if that success doesn't translate to preseason games he won't make the team. Larry Pinkard was a bit of a surprise during the game, if not for an overthrown ball by Hundley he would have had two long catches.

There have been a lot of great body-catching WRs over the years. Most recently, Wes Welker comes to mind. Gary Clark was another. So was Lynn Swan. I'll less concerned about how a guy catches the ball than I am that he catches the ball.

Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to body catch balls with a cornerback in close coverage. As long as he's wide open he should be fine but I want to see him make some tough catches as well. The second pass he caught on Thursday is what I want to see more often during the preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to body catch balls with a cornerback in close coverage. As long as he's wide open he should be fine but I want to see him make some tough catches as well. The second pass he caught on Thursday is what I want to see more often during the preseason.

Do you know when exactly that second catch was? I must have been distracted at that moment and I'd like to see it.

Members online

Latest posts