First half mistakes doom Packers

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know most of the forums focus will be on TT, MM, and Capers since thats how it usually goes.

Not saying they aren't a part of the loss at all, especially since the defense was overmatched as far as talent.

However, the biggest difference to me though is this game was all the preventable mistakes in the first half.

1) Crosby miss
2) Rip fumble
3) Ryan not recovering a fumble
4) Evan not getting a pick
5) Linsely whipped to set up 3rd and 20, leading to a pick.

Without those errors, it's likely a 17 - 10 or even better score at half and it's a ball game.

Instead it's 24 - 0 and the game is essentially over.

Can't win in the NFC Championship without mistakes like those.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know most of the forums focus will be on TT, MM, and Capers since thats how it usually goes.

Not saying they aren't a part of the loss at all, especially since the defense was overmatched as far as talent.

However, the biggest difference to me though is this game was all the preventable mistakes in the first half.

1) Crosby miss
2) Rip fumble

Without those errors, it's likely a 17 - 10 or even better score at half and it's a ball game.

And as bad as the defense was today people need to not overlook the fact that the offense was horrid as well and could not finish off any drives

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

1) Crosby miss
2) Rip fumble

Agree, but the pick was essentially a punt though.

Definitely shot ourselves in the foot too much.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And as bad as the defense was today people need to not overlook the fact that the offense was horrid as well and could not finish off any drives
I agree. We didnt have it on either side of the ball.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how the defense was not prepared enough for this. Where were those guys when it counted?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how the defense was not prepared enough for this. Where were those guys when it counted?
Atlanta has been lighting up everyone. Our d has overmatched. We knew that going in. Our offense put up zero,zero points in the first half. That isn't even close to good enough against this Atlanta team.

Not excusing the defense at all, they weren't good. But then barely adequate was the best I could hope for. We needed our offense today, and it wasn't there. Mistakes hurt, and Atlanta made us pay

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It is pointed out every day

The guys in the back are not starters and not even 3td stringers..

Troy pointed out.. Gunter runs 4.7...an undrafted fa.

Jones 4.3 1st round..

No coaching can fix that

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of Capers' 3-4 variations. I despise soft zones. Anyway, Carl hit it right on the head.

Rip's fumble was nothing short of heartbreaking when you look at the replays. 5 guys can't take him down...and a 6th guy is doing nothing but ripping at the ball. Happens a lot to that type of back - I love that kid. Tough as nails.

As McCarthy said. Can't win at this time of the season with those kinds of mistakes. Still... 4-6 and ending up 1 win from the Super Bowl with essentially a MASH unit

D

Deleted member 6794

True, with Thompson being responsible for the lack of talent on defense.

There´s no doubt the offense played terrible as well. Entering this game it was pretty obvious they had to perform at an elite level for the Packers to have a chance.

The defense completely lacks talent and therefore it was to be expected the Falcons would score a ton of points against them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they don't completely lack talent and the Falcons score a ton of points on lots of people. Losing Brice right out of the gate, even though young and not great, hampered us. We've been going with 3 safeties to make up for our lack of DB's and with some success. that was out the window after the kickoff. Then we lost Hyde in the 2nd quarter. Then we lost Jake Ryan in the 2nd half.

We knew we weren't strong on defense none of that helped at all. Toss in an offense that is expected to perform, that once again didn't. Zero, a big fat Zero for points in the first half. 2nd half didn't start much better.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our defense was ok. We simply aren't the caliber of team that Atlanta is. They got the breaks this time and we didn't. Our team is good! Theirs is great!

D

Deleted member 6794

No, it is not ok to give up 44 points. My meaning was that our defense was totally over matched by a superior team :(

True, therefore the defense has to be significantly improved this offseason.

pfcmsh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, therefore the defense has to be significantly improved this offseason.
Exactly. I would start with the coordinator and work my way down. I do not think that Mathews is the player he once was. I think he plays just well enough to start and is trying to prolong his career. He was terrific when he first started. Our entire defense needs overhauling. You make a great point.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly. I would start with the coordinator and work my way down. I do not think that Mathews is the player he once was. I think he plays just well enough to start and is trying to prolong his career. He was terrific when he first started. Our entire defense needs overhauling. You make a great point.
He has a muscle torn from shoulder to his chest..

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our receivers were dealing with injuries but played anyway. If adams and gmo were fully functional I believe they would have rested Jordy. Looking at Rod's expression before the game he didn't have that relaxed look to him and it seemed something was bothering him.

Despite the offense and their lack luster performance in the first half, the defense just blew it from the start of the game.

Ryan took apart our weak secondary, and that is what a good QB does. He took advantage of it. However, our run D was great as usual!

Rip's fumble? We did not need that with the momentum Atlanta had. :cry: I credit the guy who ripped the ball more than I do blaming Rip.

Anyway....congrats to Falcons for winning, and now they face Brady. Hopefully it's a good and close game unlike the two games we witnessed this Sunday.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts