Few Stats From 2021 Regular Season Which May Surprise You...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read a few articles, reviewed statlines myself and just thought some may enjoy some items in the rear view mirror many might not realize from the 2021 season:

First a few from an article over at Packerswire:

17, or the total number of passes dropped by Packers pass-catchers this season. They dropped 30 last season. Davante Adams had only four on 166 total targets. Allen Lazard (3) and Aaron Jones (4) weren’t perfect, but Marcedes Lewis, Randall Cobb and Marquez Valdes-Scantling were (0 drops on 114 targets). CAN SOME OF YOU READ THAT LAST BIT, AND THEN RE-READ IT - MVS HAD ZERO CREDITED DROPS

The Packers were the second-best tackling unit in 2021, missing only 93 tackles over 17 games.

249 pressures, or the amount created by the quartet of Rashan Gary (81), Kenny Clark (64), Preston Smith (62) and Dean Lowry (42). The Packers were the only team in the NFL with two interior rushers producing at least 40 pressures and two edge rushers producing at least 60 pressures. The Packers had only 251 total pressures as a team all of last season.

--------

AJ Dillon, despite only being the starter in two games to Jones' 15, he was the Packers leading rusher this year.

We were also I believe, announcer said it in the Lions game, the only team with two 1,000 total yard running backs that each rushed for 700 yards as part of that. *Jones had more TDs through the air than on the ground.

Aaron Rodgers was the only "receiver" on the team to have a negative yards per catch and yards total for the year.

Mason Crosby hit a higher percentage of field goals over 50 yards than he did than between 30 and 49 yards.

Rashan Gary after missing 12.5% of tackle chances rookie year, lowering that to 2.8% last year...this year dude did something almost impossible at 0.00%.

Quarterbacks on the Packers accounted for 35% or 6 of the 17 total fumbles by a player this year. Running backs only accounted for 4 total or 23.5%

Only two players had over 1,000 snaps this year - Runyan and Newman....it was Aaron's first year not hitting that mark since 2017, which wasn't a full year for him due to injury.

Last edited:

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That tackling stat is a real shocker.

Do all those numbers add up to a Super Bowl win?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO opinion, the good stat teams lose and somebody else muscles their way in (2011 Packers). That said, there is no reason that we shouldn't win the SB except for just the randomness of the any-given-Sunday mantra.

Rashan Gary has really evolved into a great player. Our DEs still need to hold the edges while they pursue their sack numbers, but overall it has been impressive.

D

Deleted member 6794

Quarterbacks on the Packers accounted for 35% or 6 of the 17 total fumbles by a player this year. Running backs only accounted for 4 total or 23.5%

Love was responsible for three of them despite seeing limited action.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think "pressures" is a pseudo stat. How many times do you see a qb get pressured only to step up into the pocket or scramble to make a big completion or run for a first down? Sacks will stop a drive much more reliably than pressures or hits. For years, CM3 pressured the qb only to have him step up into the pocket and complete a big throw for a first down. While pressures and hits are better than nothing, sacks are the name of the game.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think "pressures" is a pseudo stat. How many times do you see a qb get pressured only to step up into the pocket or scramble to make a big completion or run for a first down? Sacks will stop a drive much more reliably than pressures or hits. For years, CM3 pressured the qb only to have him step up into the pocket and complete a big throw for a first down. While pressures and hits are better than nothing, sacks are the name of the game.

Never heard anyone say to the contrary honestly. However I highly doubt you’ll ever find a good player that has say 10 sacks without a ton of pressures in season. Pressures represent forcing a QB off the plan, which is massive to the chess game of stopping offenses.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listened to Larry the Rock interview Matt LaFleur this week. He pulled out a couple of other interesting stats:

1. LaFleur is 2 for 2 in divisional playoff games after securing the first round bye (Seahawks in 2019 and Rams in 2020)
2. The Packers did not get called for any penalties in the Detroit Lions game (the Lions only got two)
3. The 2021 Packers got flagged for only 69 penalties all season - a new Packers record
4. In LaFleur's three seasons, the Packers have committed 13 or fewer turnovers each year. Something never done in NFL history

I am not a fan of all the minutia stats, but they are worth recognizing how poised and disciplined his teams have been. I believe that he also has not lost back-to-back games yet either. Great coach so far with the potential to become even greater.

Reaction score
I thought about that. As I researched the leaderboard. I needed only to get to #1. Micah Parsons 19% pressures. He is the 2021 DROY.

Just look at #12. When not pressured his stats are astronomical. I want to say he’s something like 20TD-0INT in the NFC North from a clean pocket.
(Division with the Sack leading Bears). Obviously, you’d like to finish those pressures off with a nice Sack, but I think the first step is getting all up into the pocket.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read a few articles, reviewed statlines myself and just thought some may enjoy some items in the rear view mirror many might not realize from the 2021 season:

First a few from an article over at Packerswire:

17, or the total number of passes dropped by Packers pass-catchers this season. They dropped 30 last season. Davante Adams had only four on 166 total targets. Allen Lazard (3) and Aaron Jones (4) weren’t perfect, but Marcedes Lewis, Randall Cobb and Marquez Valdes-Scantling were (0 drops on 114 targets). CAN SOME OF YOU READ THAT LAST BIT, AND THEN RE-READ IT - MVS HAD ZERO CREDITED DROPS

The Packers were the second-best tackling unit in 2021, missing only 93 tackles over 17 games.

249 pressures, or the amount created by the quartet of Rashan Gary (81), Kenny Clark (64), Preston Smith (62) and Dean Lowry (42). The Packers were the only team in the NFL with two interior rushers producing at least 40 pressures and two edge rushers producing at least 60 pressures. The Packers had only 251 total pressures as a team all of last season.

--------

AJ Dillon, despite only being the starter in two games to Jones' 15, he was the Packers leading rusher this year.

We were also I believe, announcer said it in the Lions game, the only team with two 1,000 total yard running backs that each rushed for 700 yards as part of that. *Jones had more TDs through the air than on the ground.

Aaron Rodgers was the only "receiver" on the team to have a negative yards per catch and yards total for the year.

Mason Crosby hit a higher percentage of field goals over 50 yards than he did than between 30 and 49 yards.

Rashan Gary after missing 12.5% of tackle chances rookie year, lowering that to 2.8% last year...this year dude did something almost impossible at 0.00%.

Only two players had over 1,000 snaps this year - Runyan and Newman....it was Aaron's first year not hitting that mark since 2017, which wasn't a full year for him due to injury.

Great stats! All these things point out things that are often missed by fans. The Gary info is amazing. The guy has turned into our best front seven defender in most respects. Not missing one tackle over an entire season is awesome.

Between you and Cap, the stats are enough to blow a person's mind. Information that allows us to see reality.

Members online

Latest posts