Favre Retiring??

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though I dont think the packers are going to do good this year I cant wait until the season starts! Do you think this is going to be Favres last year?

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
Even though I dont think the packers are going to do good this year I cant wait until the season starts! Do you think this is going to be Favres last year?

No, Brett Favre was assured by Ted Thompson that after an evaluating year in 2005, that the Packers would again be moving in the right direction.

Thompson will be bringing in his own HC for 2006. They will be doing everything possible to get the missing pieces of the puzzle in place to give Brett Favre the opportunity to lead the Packers to another Super Bowl.

Stay tuned, Brett Favre's career is not over yet.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figured such...I find it hard to believe that TT would not do whatever he reasonably could (afford) to get THIS YEAR'S team to win

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
I figured such...I find it hard to believe that TT would not do whatever he reasonably could (afford) to get THIS YEAR'S team to win

Forget 2005...

Ted Thompson has already put his stamp on the team. He put lowball offers on all his RFAs and didn

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre is going to take it year by year. I certainly hope he will stay a couple more years. Heck, Dan Marino was no spring chicken when he retired. :D :D :D

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers didn't have much salary cap room, and TT has admitted that he's not a huge fan of free agency. I think Antonio Freeman's contract really stuck with him as an example...Wolf admitted that was his biggest mistake while he was w/ the Packers, and Thompson isn't willing to make the same mistakes....it just binds you later when you pay huge dollars to one player...case in point...Joe Johnson, Hunt, etc. New England is a great example of how you can win w/out shelling out ridiculous contracts, heck, even the Packers during the SB years...yeah, they signed Reggie and Brett to big contracts, but they still relied a lot on the draft and filler free agents.

I don't see TT ever going for broke for a given year, and the way he treat an offseason this year, will be similar to what we'll see while he's around. He's going to be as frugal as he can so he doesn't hurt the team in the long run.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers (since Favre's arrival) have set their standards very high and 2005 is no different. Try telling guys like Henderson and Favre who are at the twilight of their careers that this year is just to "feel it out" and improve for 06. That's a crock! I don't know of any statement released by TT or any other Packer official that's said that. The Packers will be in the running for this division this year with the personnel they have. Will they do it? Who knows...that's what the season is for.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be stunned if Brett played past this year, win or lose.

It is very difficult for many Packers fans to see this man retiring. It was the same way for me in 1969 watching Bart Starr's final years. How could he quit? But as the team around him deteriorated, his success did the same.
Quite frankly, I HOPE Brett retires after this year. This is the last, best hope the Packers have for a playoff level team in a couple of years.

Here's why:
Please keep in mind that Brett's skills are not what they once were. This is not Brett 1995. He's still among the top 10 in the league, but is he better than Payton Manning? Tom Brady? Culpeeper is about equal. Bottom line is he is nearing retirement.

The FA culling and the draft this year(along with legit reports) indicate to me TT is already in the rebuilding mode. The defense was prime for new blood after last year, next year it will be the offense. There's no way the Packers can afford A. Green, Bubba, Flanagan, Davenport, probably Walker, Grady J. and a couple of others. So next year many new bodies might be around. Let me ask this: if you are Brett, are you going to hang around 2-3 more years before the team comes back to the top?

I think Sherman is going to move on. Regardless of what you think of the coaches, they have featured Brett's abilities. A new coach might not, especially if it's Jim Bates. While he might keep some of the same staff(like Larry B.) if Sherman goes, Rossley goes, and a new OC is needed. He would promote Sanders or Nunn to DC, but this change again would tend to make me think Brett doesn't want to hang around a 6-10 team.

The Packers are going to give Aaron Rodgers this year to watch. They will expect him to take a larger role next year, like Carson Palmer in Cincy. Do you let a #1 pick sit on the pines just to try to relive old times? The last thing I want to have happen is what Brett did to Don Majkowski, ala, the rookie come in and upstage and embarrass the veteran.

I think it's time for Packers fans to do what I did 36 years ago...and realize the current "good times" are almost done. That includes the good times with Brett. I hope he has a great year...says good-bye--hops on the lawn tractor and rides into the sunset.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Please keep in mind that Brett's skills are not what they once were. This is not Brett 1995. He's still among the top 10 in the league, but is he better than Payton Manning? Tom Brady? Culpeeper is about equal.

LMAO...net remains clueless!

OP
OP
A

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that it is not Favres last year too. But one thing that I am also hoping for is that Favre doesn't get hurt this year. I really cant see him making it through the season w/o injury. I have a feeling that his streak will be ended

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
I hope that it is not Favres last year too. But one thing that I am also hoping for is that Favre doesn't get hurt this year. I really cant see him making it through the season w/o injury. I have a feeling that his streak will be ended

The Packers OL is questionable without Wahle and Rivera. Klemm and O'Dwyer have a lot to prove.

Kevin Barry is playing well and may start at RT with Mark Tauscher moving to RG leaving hole at LG.

If Favre gets the protection, he will be fine.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
musccy said:

Forget 2005...

Ted Thompson has already put his stamp on the team. He put lowball offers on all his RFAs and didn

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
musccy said:
In 2006 Thompson wants to bring in his own HC. Thompson wants Mike Holmgren back in Green Bay. Holmgren's contract with Seattle ends after the 2005 season. If Holmgren is a no show Jim Bates may get the nod.

I liked what Holmgren did for the Packers and am thankful for his assistance bringing us back to the SB, however I do not wish to see our team be the joke the Lakers are of the NBA with bringing back Phil Jackson.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the key this year on the OL is Jim Flanigan. If he can stay healthy, he will do wonders to help out both guards. The line will be fine with two stellar tackles and, IMO, a pro-bowler for a center. Watch and see...#4 will drop back 3 steps and get rid of the football as usual. The line will protect and the offense will once again ROLL! 8)

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chase, just a question, but would you go work for a guy who's boss you used to be? Mike was once GM in Seattle, which included overseeing the draft, scouting etc. These are areas which TT used to work in. As executive VP and GM, TT would then be the Genius' boss. Holmgren is too big an egomaniac for that.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you mean Mike Flanagan, ND :D Jim, I believe a Door County native, played for the Bears/Eagles, but yes, I agree that the line shouldn't have any problems.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not clueless Chase, just realistic. Unlike some others. Have a nice day. Sorry if some can't see the obvious.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey all,

This board certainly has it's personalities! :) However, I can't believe some of the stuff I am reading on here. First, I would like to address the original poster who asked if I think Favre will retire after this season. From what I have read, there were two factors that made him decide to come back to Green Bay in 2005. The first one was that Deanna is responding very well to her cancer treatment. Favre stated that this was the number one factor that his retirement hinged on. He also stated the second reason for his return was Mike Sherman.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone could possibly believe that Favre would sit back for a year and let his team "rebuild" after a 10-6 season and an NFC North title. Equally amusing is the thought of a team "rebuilding" while the GM plots to sack the head coach the following year. There is no way I believe that Favre would "agree" to such a scheme. The man is a born competitor, and hates to come second place to anyone. It is this determination that has been responsible for his storybook career as one of the top five quarterbacks ever to play the game. If he is returning to play in 2005, it is because he wants to win in 2005. It is certainly not because he hopes to win in 2007, 2008 or 2009.

As far as Favre returning in 2006, I believe this depends on a number of factors, the main two being Deanna's health and if Sherman is resigned for a contract extension. At 36 years old, I doubt he will want to wait 2 - 3 years and see if his team comes together under a new head coach.

As far as Holmgren returning to Green Bay next year... I recall a conspiracy theory being posted last week that Holmgren purposefully threw Super Bowl XXXII in a hissy fit for not being made both GM and HC. I for one don't believe this, BUT if it is even remotely true, I could not see Favre (or many other veterans for that matter) being too eager to play under someone like that, regardless of the fact he brought the Lombardi back to Lambeau.

Go Pack!

Robert C. Hedley

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Not clueless Chase, just realistic. Unlike some others. Have a nice day. Sorry if some can't see the obvious.

Net, Brett Favre is as good as any QB in the NFL today. It is easy to say a guy like Peyton Manning is better but look at the WR corp he has had over the past few seasons. If Favre had an equal WR corp I'm sure he would put up similar numbers.

Many QB's have come and gone in the NFL who were forced to take sacks and throw the ball away time and time again for various reasons. None of those QB's were never considered good, they were scorned as poor QB's.

Brett Favre came into the NFL with an agenda to win. He does not and will not take sacks or throw the ball away. He will do everything possible to get the ball to the receivers even under tight coverage. This will result in a higher than average interception rate but one look at his career stats tells how effective his style really is. How can anyone argue with his success.

Over the years Brett Favre has had a few good receivers who have had a couiple of good seasons but never a complete WR corp such as Kurt Warner in St. Louis or Peyton Manning in Indianapolis.

When you see games where Favre has had multiple interceptions people want to blame him, but it is acually a reflection of how bad the WR corp played on that day. Put the blame where it is due.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
I think you mean Mike Flanagan, ND :D Jim, I believe a Door County native, played for the Bears/Eagles, but yes, I agree that the line shouldn't have any problems.

Yeah, that's what I meant. And I have to admit, I haven't even started drinking yet... :oops:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts