Favre has no definite plans to apply for reinstatement

bigbyfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got this from espn, so it may not be completely truthful.

If Brett Favre is really going to force a showdown with the Green Bay Packers, it won't happen right away, his agent told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

"We have no definite plans to ask for reinstatement," Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, said of the former Packers quarterback, who has asked the team for his release. "Right now we have until the sixth week [of the regular season] and Brett has made it pretty clear that he is not willing to come in as a backup.

"If he asks for reinstatement and they start fining him $15,000 a day [for not reporting to training camp], well that just doesn't make sense," Cook said.

"We're going to let Green Bay decide what they want to do. It's their move."

Packers GM Ted Thompson has said the Packers do not plan to grant Favre, who announced his retirement in March, his release. And while Thompson said Favre could return to the Packers if he applies to the league for reinstatement, it would be in "in a different role than he was" because the team has committed to backup Aaron Rodgers as its quarterback of the future.

Favre told Fox News' Greta Van Susteren that he won't return to camp simply to spite the Packers. The team's players are scheduled to report for training camp on July 27.

"It's tempting just to, as everyone said, you know, call their bluff or whatever," Favre said. "I think it's going to be a circus in itself already, whether I go there, whatever."

But, Favre added: "I don't want to go back there just to stick it to them."

Favre's growing rift with the Green Bay Packers could lead to a few awkward moments for the three-time MVP this weekend.

Favre is scheduled to present former teammate Frank Winters at the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame induction banquet at Lambeau Field on Saturday night. Winters, former Packers defensive tackle Gilbert Brown and video director Al Treml will be enshrined in the Packers' Hall of Fame.

Should Favre keep his commitment to Winters, his close friend and former center, his return to Lambeau will come a little more than a week after formally requesting to be released from his contract -- and only days after expressing his distrust of Packers management and insisting that the team pressured him into making his retirement decision in his interview with Fox News.

Favre could see some of the same folks he criticized in his trip back to the place he played for 16 seasons. He also might run into Packers offensive line coach James Campen, a former teammate who was dragged into the middle of the controversy this week.

In an unaired portion of Favre's interview with "On the Record With Greta Van Susteren," Favre apparently said Campen recently made an unexpected visit to his home in Mississippi and said he had "an answer" for Favre regarding his desire to unretire.

"He says, 'You know, I know they told you they're moving on and playing there's not an option," Favre said, according to a full transcript of the interview obtained by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Playing here in Green Bay is not an option, which that's what they want. They want to move on. But I'm telling you, if you reinstate or you force their hand, back them in a corner, they feel like they have no other option, they're going to accept you back."

"And he said, 'Just telling you.' And I said, 'OK."

In an interview with The Associated Press on Saturday, Packers coach Mike McCarthy chastised the Favre camp for putting Campen in a "tough spot."

McCarthy said the Packers told Campen to visit Favre as a friend, not on behalf of the team, once they had heard Favre was having second thoughts about retirement earlier in the offseason. McCarthy said it was Favre and his representatives, not the team, who turned Campen into an "intermediary" between Favre and the front office.

"I think he's totally, wrongly been illustrated in this," McCarthy said. "Ted would not even talk to Campen about this. He said, 'Hey, your personal relationship with Brett Favre is bigger than this, so don't ever put yourself in that position.' ... James was put in a tough spot. He was put in a situation that was purely personal."

While Favre's comment isn't likely to get Campen fired, it certainly didn't do his old buddy's career any favors. Would another team consider hiring Campen away for a more prestigious job if it seems like he's capable of undermining their front office?

McCarthy said Saturday that Campen would not be available for interviews.

Meanwhile, members of the Packers' management team could face a few awkward moments of their own next week, as the Packers hold their annual shareholders meeting at Lambeau Field July 24.

A movement to rally fan support for Favre has fizzled so far -- a rally in Green Bay drew fewer than 200 fans Sunday, and Monday's rally in the Milwaukee suburbs drew only 30 despite widespread local media attention -- but shareholders supporting Favre could call attention to the issue.

Shareholders aren't given the chance to ask questions during the meeting, but Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy and general manager Ted Thompson are expected to be present in the Lambeau Field Atrium area to mingle with them and answer their questions afterward, along with other members of the Packers' staff.

I really don't know what to think...

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't need to ask for reinstatement really. Favre never signed and filed for retirement did he... just had a presser.

this is so friggin weird.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all this mess for nothing, maybe he just had to put himself in the spotlight to please his ego one last time?

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't need to ask for reinstatement really. Favre never signed and filed for retirement did he... just had a presser.

they put him on the retired/reserve list. this allowed them to take his 12mm off the salary ca[p. He has to appy for reinstatement to be back on the active roster in which case then the packers would be liable for his salary.

his retirement papers are simply for pension purposes.

OP
OP
B

bigbyfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre shouldn't have repeated what Campen said. so much for Campen's career.

Well, Campen should not have said something like that either. If something happens to Campen's career, you can not put it all on Favre.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Campen should not have said something like that either. If something happens to Campen's career, you can not put it all on Favre.

Still, Campen said it in confidence. It was obvious he's trying to help Favre. Sure, he shouldn't have said it. But if I tell you something that would help you out that would get me in trouble for saying it, I'd hope you'd have the sense to do it, but keep your mouth shut about the source.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

they put him on the retired/reserve list. this allowed them to take his 12mm off the salary ca[p. He has to appy for reinstatement to be back on the active roster in which case then the packers would be liable for his salary.

his retirement papers are simply for pension purposes.

thanks. i guess i should have known that. as its only been said about a thousand times here lately huh.

OP
OP
B

bigbyfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has Brett lost his marbles?
Where does he really stand?
I'm starting to think he is confused as I am about this whole deal.

I think Brett is realizing that he doesn't want to play anywhere other than Green Bay. Not only because of the tradition and legacy, but also because he might not want to learn another playbook and get his timing down with different receivers in only 1 month before the season.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point the only possible way I see Brett coming back with the Packers is by HE reversing the position he took in this interview and declaring this:

"I will come back with the understanding there are no guarantee's nor are there any limitations. I want to play football, I think I can still play football, so I will let the rest take care of itself."

There is no way the Packers are now going to back off and just hand Brett the starting spot after all that's happened. While Brett may have thought (if he was thinking at all) he could pressure them into taking him back as a starter he finds himself farther away from there than ever.

If he "forces their hand" and reports he gets no better chance then the one he can offer and that is no guarantees. If he takes his hat off here and comes in the way I have described the media storm will be much less crazy and TT and MM have a much more open road for him playing. He came back and "earned" it back. If nothing else it sounds good.

If he's just pissed now with a fractured ego and not really interested in having a shot at actually starting then he just shows up which would be the top ***** move of all the ***** moves he's made to date.

Members online

Latest posts