ex packers from last year

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So, would the Packers passing game be better this season with a healthy Rodgers? I don't think so. Rodgers seemed to not trust rookies. By not throwing to them, they develop more slowly. So I think our passing game is performing better with Love and the young guys.

Makes me wonder. I saw a post chastising Gute for not getting this young receiver talent while Rodgers was here. Well, did our scouts suddenly get better or was lack of WR development system related? Maybe OTAs and offseason workouts matter in developing WRs.

I think, all things being equal: Reed, Doubs, Watson, and Wicks are all better than Cobb. I think Lazard is as good or better than those 4. However, they all have a higher ceiling than Lazard and will surpass Lazards apex as a receiver in a year or two.
I've always thought that the defense was our biggest problem for many years and that required more draft resources.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect if AR had stayed, we would have resigned Lazard and Lewis and kept Cobb. Maybe Watson and Doubs would be more utilized. Our draft would have looked different, can't have 10 WRs on the roster.

The only rookie WR that AR used significantly was Jennings. So he wasn't opposed to it, or maybe that was just early in his career.
Jennings played with Favre for 2 years I believe. 2006 and 2007.
I've always thought that the defense was our biggest problem for many years and that required more draft resources.
Aside from evaluating the defense I agree that Rodgers comes out with better reads on certain crucial downs. However, his aging lack of mobility would have resulted in many more sacks considering our OL and young receivers. He certainly could not have escaped as many times as Love has. And no way could he have ripped off that long run Love made that helped seal the Lion fate Thursday.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they would have re-signed Lazard. Too expensive. Lewis and Cobb I could see to appease Rodgers. They both would have been pretty cheap and Lewis most likely would have actually helped this year. Less likely, but possible is that Cobb could have been that vet who mentored the young guys in the way of Rodgers. This is all just my opinion. No way to actually know for sure.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of ex-Packers, somewhat surprised that Rodgers practice window has been opened. Seems rather reckless to start him if the Jets are eliminated though unless it is some token 1-2 drives in week 17 for a 'Look at what I did' type moment. That line sure didn't get any better throughout the season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of ex-Packers, somewhat surprised that Rodgers practice window has been opened. Seems rather reckless to start him if the Jets are eliminated though unless it is some token 1-2 drives in week 17 for a 'Look at what I did' type moment. That line sure didn't get any better throughout the season.

At this point they'll do whatever Rodgers' desires....just like that whole organization has been doing.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point they'll do whatever Rodgers' desires....just like that whole organization has been doing.

After having seen it with the Packers you'd think I'd be smart enough to remember that but.. nope. Still amazes me though.

Part of me wonders if he is pushing to get back because he isn't absolutely 100% convinced about playing in 2024 and doesn't want his last memory to be 4 plays and out. Gotta believe that a number of his boys that came along won't be around in 2024. (Although see previous point about me not being smart enough to remember)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After having seen it with the Packers you'd think I'd be smart enough to remember that but.. nope. Still amazes me though.

Part of me wonders if he is pushing to get back because he isn't absolutely 100% convinced about playing in 2024 and doesn't want his last memory to be 4 plays and out. Gotta believe that a number of his boys that came along won't be around in 2024. (Although see previous point about me not being smart enough to remember)

Oh I personally envision this:

Jets lose two of their next three...mathematically are essentially out of playoff contention and the Jets announce they will not be elevating Rodgers to active roster as it would be in the team's best interest to focus on finishing out the year and building towards 2024 allowing Rodgers to even further heal. Then Rodgers is going to be so motivated to stick it to doubters and win comeback player of the year or such. Rodgers loves being the discussion, he isn't going to come back just to retire after a broken season and trash games at the end.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised that he is practicing again too, albeit non-contact. Rodgers still has plenty left in his tank mentally. He probably still has a few years left physically, but another injury at the end of this season could be utterly deflating to him.

He has an immense desire to prove everybody wrong, no matter what his position is on an issue. In this case, he wants to prove that his method of recovery is superior. He will play this season.

Reaction score
LOL two of those it isn't Rodgers influence, its the fact they past their prime years about four or five ago LOL
Oh I know. I was responding primarily to the Lazard comment.

Jets have a $44M Albatross hanging around their neck with Lazard.

We all know those guys were Rodgers buddies. Then Bakhtiari is only here because we’re stuck with his contract or he’d be a Jet also. Nobody wants his contract right now. The only one that smiles on that deal is his agent as he cashes his checks.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I know. I was responding primarily to the Lazard comment.

Jets have a $44M Albatross hanging around their neck with Lazard.

We all know those guys were Rodgers buddies. Bakhtiari is only here because we’re stuck with his contract.

I strongly bet at some point, may not be till next year or in two years....Lazard is probably going to regret not being willing to take less and be our veteran WR here.

Reaction score
I strongly bet at some point, may not be till next year or in two years....Lazard is probably going to regret not being willing to take less and be our veteran WR here.
True.
We knew that Lazard at best was a WR2 ceiling (2022) maybe more leaning a WR3 with a more pedestrian QB. However the Packers have already got that level play aboard at Rookie $$ so we don’t need to pay someone $11mil annual for it.

I like our newer WR group. They just seem to come across with more humility imo.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think Lazard was looking at much money anywhere else he was going. The
4yr/$44M was above market and he played his AR connection card to its fullest.

These FA WRs caught more passes than Lazard the previous year and I submit for comparison the deals they got:

Paris Campbell. 1yr/4.7M
Adam Theilen. 3yr/25M
Juju Smith-Schuster. 3yr/25.5m
DJ Chark 1yr/5M
Except for Thielen, there is more upside than Lazard

Heck, DeAndre Hopkins got 2yr/26M. I know he is 31 yo, but he was signed for only $2M more per season than Lazard.

Had he stayed with the Packers they could have signed him more in the $7-8M per year range I would think. He has always struck me a s a good WR - but not a game changer who is going to strike fear in DBs.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect if AR had stayed, we would have resigned Lazard and Lewis and kept Cobb. Maybe Watson and Doubs would be more utilized. Our draft would have looked different, can't have 10 WRs on the roster.

The only rookie WR that AR used significantly was Jennings. So he wasn't opposed to it, or maybe that was just early in his career.
Jennings was not a Rookie with Rodgers. Jennings actually caught Favre‘s then record breaking 421st TD in 2007. Jennings was drafted in 2006.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers wants to prove everyone wrong and set a new record for fastest return from Achilles surgery.

Reaction score
I think Rodgers wants to prove everyone wrong and set a new record for fastest return from Achilles surgery.
I know I can only speak for myself, but me thinks they should go the safer route and not inoculate him into the game too early.
(I’m also fully aware I’d be fired as an NFL analyst on my first day) :coffee:

JPPT1974

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well putting in Jordan Love and hoping he will have learned over from AR like Aaron Rodgers learned from Brett Favre. Really give Love a chance!