ESPN picks the Packers to be dominant over the next 3-5 years.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Buffalo Bills?!? HAHAHA! Maybe Luck can get to 4 Super Bowls and win at least one.:icon_rolleyes:

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Kevin Siefert (sp?) really hit the nail on the head. You cant go against a team that won the super bowl and can also be considered an up and coming team.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
shrugs...

I have seen alot of great teams win a SB and everyone expects them to win title after title. It doesnt happen very often so I will wait to talk about it when it does. Do we have the talent? yeah for sure. Does the most talented team win every year? nope.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
As Ivo said, LOTS of good teams have come and won SB's and then done nothing the next year. I think there are a ton of factors that play into it. However, I'd rather be in this position than any other. Won the SB, young team, still improving, with a top notch QB. And on top of that a great GM and Head Coach.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Once somebody repeats as SB champ, I'll start to think of dynasty. 3-5 years out, Packer window could be starting to close unless they get restocked. Most everyone on the team will need to be resigned by then. With FA and over 20 draft picks over the next 3 years, almost anyone but :viksux:could dominate that stretch. It mostly then would depend on the front office.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Once somebody repeats as SB champ, I'll start to think of dynasty. 3-5 years out, Packer window could be starting to close unless they get restocked. Most everyone on the team will need to be resigned by then. With FA and over 20 draft picks over the next 3 years, almost anyone but :viksux:could dominate that stretch. It mostly then would depend on the front office.

We have the best front office football. That's not even open to debate. If Ted Thompson told me to jump off a bridge, I would probably do it because I would assume that because Ted Thompson told me to do it, it had to be a good idea.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have the best front office football. That's not even open to debate. If Ted Thompson told me to jump off a bridge, I would probably do it because I would assume that because Ted Thompson told me to do it, it had to be a good idea.

If Ted Thompson tells me to jump off a bridge, I assume there's a safety net waiting for me. Not only that, but I expect that it, somehow, will make me a millionaire. Maybe it's an insurance fraud or something, I don't know, only Ted knows...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Ted Thompson tells me to jump off a bridge, I assume there's a safety net waiting for me. Not only that, but I expect that it, somehow, will make me a millionaire. Maybe it's an insurance fraud or something, I don't know, only Ted knows...

Im pretty sure he is going to tell a couple players to jump off a bridge in the next week judging by some of their contracts

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Im pretty sure he is going to tell a couple players to jump off a bridge in the next week judging by some of their contracts

Hahahahahaha. Sad but true. A couple of years ago I would have been very nervous about what happens with the Packers roster over the coming weeks, but not this year. Ted makes the RIGHT move every single time. Without question.

One time when I was in college Ted Thompson came into the gas station I was working at and asked if we had chocolate sauce. I said that we did not, but I told him that I lived not that far away and I would be willing to go get mine from my apartment and he could just have it. He laughed and said, thanks, but thats ok.

I would do anything for that man.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
shrugs...

I have seen alot of great teams win a SB and everyone expects them to win title after title. It doesnt happen very often so I will wait to talk about it when it does. Do we have the talent? yeah for sure. Does the most talented team win every year? nope.
The Green Bay Packers, through their long NFL history, is the best football franchise with their awesome history of winning the most championships. So they have that going for them as they progress into the future.
And football dynasties have happened. Think 60's Packers, Steelers, Cowboys, Patriots, and 49ers. All those teams had great players. And if the Packers could do what they did with, what, 2nd/3rd string back ups, then just imagine what they can do with their starters returning!
I want the Packers to be the dominating team because:
1) I am a fan of them.
2) I want them to win 7 SBs before (Arm)Pittsburgh wins another one to shut up once and for all those stupid fans who fail to recognize that GB has won more championships than them. They're "6 Pack" only matters to them but I want us to have 7 to outdo them.
3) I want to see A-Rod do what Brett Favre couldn't. Win a second or more SB. He has already outdone the ol' gunslinger by getting the SB MVP. Now he needs to go the next step and I think that's something all of us true Packer fans want to see happen.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This ESPN thing is nice and all ... it's just that I'm old enough to vividly remember the same hubbub following the SB31 win. I can still hear Ron Wolf's famous 'fart in the wind' evaluation after SB32.

Like last year...I'm just going to enjoy the ride and see what happens.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
WOW! Well let me say this about teams that win Super Bowls. I think alot of things have to work in your favor to get there. The Packers had alot of injuries while the Bears had very few. We barely got in, they were the 2nd seed. So let's agree that the Packers didn't have alot of things go their way.
David Akers misses two field goals in the playoffs, but James Jones drops a pretty sure 60 plus yard touchdown. So we have luck on two plays and bad luck on one, but it's still better if our guy makes the catch and we have a chance at a PAT.
Atlanta game Williams returns a pick just before the half for six, but he READ that play, no luck involved, swung the entire game our way.
Chicago, BJ drops in a zone blitz after hitting the line, looks to the QB that he's engaged and then drops. That play is DESIGNED that way, it works at an opportune time.
Green pushes Pouncey's replacement, but they had two weeks to make sure their assignments in the interior were solid, he hits Ben, the pass is short and it's a pick six. Bush comes in, another injury forces it and he reads the route (watch the replay, no question he played it from tape) and picks it. Kevin Greene tells Clay that Woodson is out, nobody is out there leading the defense, "It's time, it is time" and Clay calls to Picket to "spill it" and they collide to force a fumble.
You can do this every game of the season. The point I'm trying to make is there is a certain amount of luck, but it's not always clear from tape which is luck and which is a really good darned football club.
Hey, I'll even go so far to as admit that the Packers weren't just unlucky with injuries, maybe they have to address training or so on. The point is, alot has to go right for a team and NOTHING went right for the Packers unless they earned it.
The Packers broke records all over the place this season, never won in New York Jets, never an NFC wild card SB champ, hadn't won in Philly since the 60's or something. Anyway, just because it hasn't happened recently is an obvious reason to think the other.
Just as a coin flips 50/50 heads/tails. Even if it's been 4000 times in a row heads, it's still 50/50 either way.
Don't you just think once this year things will be good for the Pack injury wise? And if you believe like I do that talent will always trump luck, especially when you have so much talent and experience at backup positions and arguably the greatest coaching staff in football, can't you see how this is a very real possibility?
Am I missing something? If things go a little to the Packers side, if Jermichael Finley is healthy, DD stays healthy, CWood coaches up D.House (I like that one, D.House like DeHouse) and you can't see them repeating?
Seriously, I think it takes a great deal of pessimism to not see them there next season. You really have to be on the edge as a fan to not recognize that no NFL team is so poised to repeat as NFL champs.
Last thing, Packers always do Superbowls in twos. I, I, XXXI, XXXII, XLV, ...
Yea, it's hard to repeat, but it's been done. Here's the deal.... it's been done more often than teams who are six seeded teams and win 'em all to win the Lombardi Trophy. If any team, at any time has ever been poised to be prepared to win consecutive SB wins, I'd rank our Packers right behind SB I and II champs.
Yea, that's right, TItletown is gonna bring it back.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no doubt the Packers are contenders over the next few years, but the article was for 3-5 years out. By then there may be no TT or MM leading the team just like after SB31 when Ron and Mike were gone after 2-3 years. Clifton, Driver, Woodson will likely be retired, Grant and Pickett getting there. There will probably be a few missed draft picks and unexpected injuries decimating the depth and free agency roster raids hampering the status quo. Championship windows open and close. Dynasties, once established, soon sputter. If fortune smiles at GB and they win 4 of the next 6 like Lombardi's teams did, I will gloat on these forums like everyone else but after watching the team all the years after Lombardi, I will reserve my unbridled glee until then.

L

Lunchboxer

Its a good possible the pack can be a dynasty again. But I doubt they can become a Super Dynasty of the team of the 60s. If that were to happen MM would be a God in Green Bay. A MM Statue right next to Vince Lombardi's Statue.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its a good possible the pack can be a dynasty again. But I doubt they can become a Super Dynasty of the team of the 60s. If that were to happen MM would be a God in Green Bay. A MM Statue right next to Vince Lombardi's Statue.

It wouldnt matter if he turned water into beer and bread into brats, he will never hold a candle to Vince in GB. Ted might eclipse Wolf at some point, but MM in the same breath as the great one? not a chance.

Vince had the mouth of Rex Ryan, the motivation of Bill Belichick, and the attitude of Al Davis. MM doesnt come close in any of those areas, reguardless of wins, he will never be Vince. Just like no Yankee will ever be the great bambino.