1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Enters the "Psycho"

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackersRS, Dec 14, 2009.

1. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Green Bay Packers unveil 'Psycho' defense | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette

I've been calling for it since Training Camp. The 1-5-5 formation. I just love it. I think we can use it even with 2 DLs, as I believe Jenkins is athletic enough to play standing. Also, I think it's the perfect fit for Kampman, once he's healthy.

Well, Capers had been saving this. The man is just a genius. We're the #1 D and he still has looks he hasn't used. I'm gonna restrain from saying what we should be doing on D, because it's pretty clear that Capers is just smarter than me, and probably than everybody else.

So, did you like it? And what do you think will come next? Maybe he'll put Woodson at NT and Raji as CB? Maybe Driver will play S?

2. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    Sometimes I feel this is nothing more than smoke-n-mirrors by a DC, usually done against inferior opponents. Think about it: What would we all be saying about that formation had Chicago won the game??? Did we see it against Minnesota? Would we see it against New Orleans? Doubtful.

3. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Thats a great read :D

Thanks for posting this :)

4. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    Thats a good name for it. I must have missed it the other times they ran it. I only saw it twice and I was wonder what the hell it was. I knew it had something to do with all the DL injuries.

5. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    I guess I'm leaning toward what Hauschild said. A doubt we would see thing against a premiere opponent.

On the other hand, if your DL is bang up (as ours was) and your LB corps is strong enough, why not give it a try. The Bears were probably an experiment to see how it Felt to the guys implementing it.

I wouldn't mind seeing it again in games if it works out. Every D scheme will get beat eventually. But, if it gives us the advantage of resting our starters on the DL for the playoffs, go for it.

6. Packerfury

Packerfury Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    Why not try this formation out? i mean the patriots have had success with a 1-5-5 as well as other teams. I dont see why we shouldnt use it from time to time.

7. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Me personally i thought this formation was atrocious. Whenever we did run it we never got any pressure on the qb whatsoever. It was actually the reason why cutler and the bears were starting to come back midway in the game. However later in the game capers went back to the base defense and resulted in a into by collins and a sack by tramon.

8. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Did you read the REASON why we didn't play it against Minnesota? Did you read why we didn't play it against anyone before?

If it's smoke and mirrors, why not tell that to Pittsburgh, Baltimore and New England, who have been using it for the last 3 to 4 years... Pretty sucessfully, IMHO.

They use it more than us because they have more numbers of quality players at LB than at DL, and we have 4 very good players at DL, so it's harder to use it.

Also, it's a trickier formation, because it requires more LBs to occupy blockers, something the DL usually does.

But fact is, it's another Nickel formation. It's the pass equivalent of the Big Okie, IMHO. And it's a pretty good one.

9. cantstop12to85

cantstop12to85 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    i personally would love to see driver pull a mike mike furrey and play some safety in the upcoming games....but thats just me

10. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I agree, it'd be really cool to see some position switches because the pack hardly do any trick plays. It would also be nice to have Woodson back at one of his old college positions as WR.

11. White92

White92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think they ran it on the Bears first series and it resulted in a 3 yard loss on a running play on 3rd and 3. That was an absolute jailbreak!

Keep in mind the Bears offense is woefully inept. I did like the formation as it accomplished the goal of confusing the offense.

12. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    Well, then, count me OUT in the love affair with the kids' new "toy".

Tricky is something you don't want to mix in with a stooge like McCarthy.

13. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    If only McCarthy was the one calling the Defensive plays, then that connection would work...

BTW, ask any scout in the league, and they'll tell you that McCarthy is one of the best play designers in the league...

14. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but I don't like creating a new one and this one has the information to help out others.

Has the Packers run their psycho package at all this year? I don't recall them to have done so.

15. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    I don't think they have enough healthy linebackers to play it!!

We could bring back "Mad dog" Mike Douglass, Dave Robinson & Jim Carter, bet they would love to give it a try!

16. Lunchboxer

Lunchboxer Guest

Ratings:
    +76
    At first I thought this thread was relevant. That would probably be effective against Vick.

17. red4tribe

red4tribe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +437
    Yes, I could see if helping contain Vick. The linebacks are a bit more athletic, they'd probably have an easier time containing him than the linemen would.

18. Havners Heroes

Havners Heroes Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +45
    Does nobody else remember us using this formation against the Cardinals then getting our asses handed to us?

We need to keep bodies colliding in the trenches to soften up that line so we can get better pressure. It's been working for us all year, don't know why we'd change it going into the most important part of the season.