Eliot Wolf / John Dorsey GM threads?/ Browns - Steelers fight

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd also be concerned that Wolf has not worked anywhere else. He's steeped in the "Packer Way", as defined by Thompson. Is that really what's wanted?

There have been rumors about several front office members getting tired of Thompson's approach. Maybe Wolf is oart of that group and intends to leave because of it as long as the Packers hold on to TT.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf has seemingly been brought up step by step. I could see him leveraging that for more money in the short term, but if he'd threaten to leave because of 1 year after all the packers had invested in him, I'd say don't let the door hit ya. But then again, I have no idea what the guy brings to the table other than the front office, including Ted Thompson have invested a lot of time in this guy.

H

HardRightEdge

There have been rumors about several front office members getting tired of Thompson's approach. Maybe Wolf is oart of that group and intends to leave because of it as long as the Packers hold on to TT.
That's why I gave you a "qualified agree". We just don't know Wolf's take, or what he would have done in scouting if his hands were not tied assuming they were in fact tied. He's a mystery for those not in the room. If "front office" is liberally interpreted as including McCarthy, who would certainly have input into the personnel process, it would not surprise me if he were unhappy with the approach.

The Packers have fallen into the same track as the Saints following their Superbowl win. Excluding 2012 in the wake of Bountygate and Peyton's suspension, the Saints were a playoff team over a 4 year period, went 2-3 in the postseason, and couldn't put together back-to-back wins to advance.

In year 5 post-SB, they slipped to 7-9, followed by 7-9 and now 4-6.

Mickey Loomis has been the GM throughout.

While the Packers made the playoffs in their 5th. year post-SB, there was notable slippage after the 6-0 start, where they were clearly overmatched by Denver, Carolina and Arizona.

Like the Packers, New Orleans' cornerstone is a Hall of Fame QB (yes, Dorothy, Rodgers is definitely in that conversation, McGinn notwithstanding). The Saints have fielded some weak defenses; the running game has been up and down; they have struggled to simply outscore opponents. They look best when Brees is in ball control passing mode.

It's a function of paying core players who won, while slippage at the margins has accumulated.

Were the Packers to stay the course, I see a similar fate where there's no path to reversing the slippage given current cap commitments. Some creative destruction is in order, and you can't expect that from the guys who will just do what they've always been doing.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf has seemingly been brought up step by step. I could see him leveraging that for more money in the short term, but if he'd threaten to leave because of 1 year after all the packers had invested in him, I'd say don't let the door hit ya. But then again, I have no idea what the guy brings to the table other than the front office, including Ted Thompson have invested a lot of time in this guy.

Eliot Wolf enters his 13th season with the Packers and first as the director-football operations after being promoted on March 21, 2016. Prior to his current role, Wolf spent the 2015 season as the team’s director of player personnel after spending the previous three seasons as the team’s director of pro personnel. In 2011, he served as the assistant director of player personnel after working as the team’s assistant director of pro personnel the previous three seasons (2008-2010).

"Originally named as a pro personnel assistant on Feb. 26, 2004, by then-General Manager/Head Coach Mike Sherman, Wolf spent four seasons in that position.

His primary duties include coordinating the pro and college football departments as well as handling both college and pro player evaluation through film study, college visits, pro days, college all-star games and the NFL Scouting Combine. During the season, he is responsible for overseeing advance scouting of upcoming Packers opponents, evaluating potential free-agent signees and recommending player tryouts.

The son of former Packers general manager and 2015 Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee Ron Wolf, Eliot’s scouting career unofficially began at age 10, when he joined his father in film sessions at Lambeau Field. His scouting abilities continued to develop as he filed his first report at age 14 for the Atlanta Falcons.

Overall, he has spent more than two decades in official and unofficial capacities working as a talent evaluator. Wolf has contributed to the Packers’ draft preparations since 1993, 24 consecutive drafts overall. He has held nine NFL scouting internships – five with the Packers, three with the Falcons and one with the Seattle Seahawks"*
*Source: packers.com

H

HardRightEdge

Eliot Wolf enters his 13th season with the Packers and first as the director-football operations after being promoted on March 21, 2016. Prior to his current role, Wolf spent the 2015 season as the team’s director of player personnel after spending the previous three seasons as the team’s director of pro personnel. In 2011, he served as the assistant director of player personnel after working as the team’s assistant director of pro personnel the previous three seasons (2008-2010).

"Originally named as a pro personnel assistant on Feb. 26, 2004, by then-General Manager/Head Coach Mike Sherman, Wolf spent four seasons in that position.

His primary duties include coordinating the pro and college football departments as well as handling both college and pro player evaluation through film study, college visits, pro days, college all-star games and the NFL Scouting Combine. During the season, he is responsible for overseeing advance scouting of upcoming Packers opponents, evaluating potential free-agent signees and recommending player tryouts.

The son of former Packers general manager and 2015 Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee Ron Wolf, Eliot’s scouting career unofficially began at age 10, when he joined his father in film sessions at Lambeau Field. His scouting abilities continued to develop as he filed his first report at age 14 for the Atlanta Falcons.

Overall, he has spent more than two decades in official and unofficial capacities working as a talent evaluator. Wolf has contributed to the Packers’ draft preparations since 1993, 24 consecutive drafts overall. He has held nine NFL scouting internships – five with the Packers, three with the Falcons and one with the Seattle Seahawks"*
*Source: packers.com
6 of the last 9 years in pro personnel. Under ordinary circumstances, you'd figure the exciting part of the job would be evaluating players for FA acquisition or trade. Under Thompson, they're more like "dear diary" entries. Now, if we could read them and back-test their performance against their contracts we'd know something.

Wolf did give a press conference after the last draft and spoke with some excitement about the picks. This would indicate he might have had a hand in those picks.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a huge mistake...the fact that they would even let Wolfe consider leaving to wait for TT to retire irks me all in itself. They let Schneider walk..if not for a boneheaded call on the goal line he has two rings. I'd hate to se Wolfe got to somewhere like Chicago or San Francisco and turn them into contenders.

If not for many boneheaded mistakes by Packer players at Seattle, TT probably has two rings.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ian Rapoport reports that it's possible Thompson will step down after this season. Here's what he wrote on the league's website:

If you're looking for a surprise, the Packers could be it. While the coaching staff may tinker after the season, including possibly OC Edgar Bennett likely getting head coach interviews, it is expected to have minimal changes. The front office, however, is a different story. GM Ted Thompson is under contract through 2018, but this could be the year he steps aside and becomes a senior scouting adviser. If Green Bay has success in the playoffs, that possibility increases. There are a few reasons why: First of all, Director of Football Operations Eliot Wolf is coveted and he'll have opportunities to interview as a GM elsewhere. The organization could risk losing him if he's not promoted. Second of all, CEO Mark Murphy still hasn't hired his own guy, and he's been around the organization much more this year as he studies things from the inside. There are plenty of talented people in the Packers front office -- VP Russ Ball, Director of Player Personnel Brian Gutekunst and Senior Personnel Executive Alonzo Highsmith among them. And this could be the year Thompson steps aside to make way for them

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If not for many boneheaded mistakes by Packer players at Seattle, TT probably has two rings.
While agree with what you are saying, there is another side of it as well, if not for Ted Thompson's insistence on draft and develop, overpaying his own guys, and continually ignoring glaring horrible weaknesses on the defensive side of the ball for years, TT probably has two rings as well.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL.com reported today that TT might move to a scout role and Elliot Wolf might be moved to GM:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ohn-fox-expected-to-remain-with-chicago-bears

» If you're looking for a surprise, the Packers could be it. While the coaching staff may tinker after the season, including possibly OC Edgar Bennett likely getting head coach interviews, it is expected to have minimal changes. The front office, however, is a different story. GM Ted Thompson is under contract through 2018, but this could be the year he steps aside and becomes a senior scouting adviser. If Green Bay has success in the playoffs, that possibility increases. There are a few reasons why: First of all, Director of Football Operations Eliot Wolf is coveted and he'll have opportunities to interview as a GM elsewhere. The organization could risk losing him if he's not promoted. Second of all, CEO Mark Murphy still hasn't hired his own guy, and he's been around the organization much more this year as he studies things from the inside. There are plenty of talented people in the Packers front office -- VP Russ Ball, Director of Player Personnel Brian Gutekunst and Senior Personnel Executive Alonzo Highsmith among them. And this could be the year Thompson steps aside to make way for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

NFL.com reported today that TT might move to a scout role and Elliot Wolf might be moved to GM:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ohn-fox-expected-to-remain-with-chicago-bears

» If you're looking for a surprise, the Packers could be it. While the coaching staff may tinker after the season, including possibly OC Edgar Bennett likely getting head coach interviews, it is expected to have minimal changes. The front office, however, is a different story. GM Ted Thompson is under contract through 2018, but this could be the year he steps aside and becomes a senior scouting adviser. If Green Bay has success in the playoffs, that possibility increases. There are a few reasons why: First of all, Director of Football Operations Eliot Wolf is coveted and he'll have opportunities to interview as a GM elsewhere. The organization could risk losing him if he's not promoted. Second of all, CEO Mark Murphy still hasn't hired his own guy, and he's been around the organization much more this year as he studies things from the inside. There are plenty of talented people in the Packers front office -- VP Russ Ball, Director of Player Personnel Brian Gutekunst and Senior Personnel Executive Alonzo Highsmith among them. And this could be the year Thompson steps aside to make way for them.

I posted the exact same thing in this thread more than four hours ago.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I said in Nov Ted was stepping aside..

When do people listen to me

But, Need to quote your article

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/full-list-of-rules-must-read-for-members.29585/

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL TT should go wherever...so he can have the youngest team in the nfl every year....draft and develop is a great idea, but it also needs flavor of free agency to bolster holes. Wolf should be in, as should T Rex as DC.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could only imagine what some posters most thing about other GMs who aren't nearly as good.

I'd think we were Browns based off some posts.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL TT should go wherever...so he can have the youngest team in the nfl every year....draft and develop is a great idea, but it also needs flavor of free agency to bolster holes. Wolf should be in, as should T Rex as DC.

I posted this in another thread earlier, but it fits here also.

The team currently has 4 free agent signings playing large roles well, plus Daniels was a comp pick.

All 4 guys are filling places that would be a hole otherwise.

There's also the many players he has been able to resign due to keeping the cap low.

At what point do you think TTs free agent activity would be good enough?

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Elliott Wolf is anywheres as good as his father I would say we should have made a switch years ago. Ron Wolf built every Franchise he was at into a Winner:

1. Raiders - during the Ken Stabler days
2. built the Bucs i(expansion franchise) into a championship team in 2 years
3. Went back to Oakland after about 5 years and built them back into a Super Bowl contender.
4. Went to the NY Jets and built them into fierce competitive team known as the NY Sack Exchange
5. Came to the Packers and built them into a Super Bowl Team.

Members online

Latest posts