Dropped Passes this Year !!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I took these stats of another forum I can't vouch for the reliability ( although the person who posted them is usually very reliable ). Take from it what you will but I thought the stats were very interesting. Cheers !!!

Here are the top ten quarterbacks in attempts, their drops, and a percentage.

1. Brett Favre 521 attempts, 31 drops 5.95%
2. Marc Bulger 520 attempts, 16 drops 3.07%
3. Drew Brees. 517 attempts, 28 drops 5.41%
4. Jon Kitna 509 attempts, 15 drops 2.94%
5. Peyton Manning, 493 attempts, 24 drops 4.45%
6. Eli Manning 471 attempts, 21 drops 4.45%
7. Tom Brady 453 attempts, 26 drops 5.73%
8. Carson Palmer 442 attempts, 13 drops 2.94%
9. Brad Johnson, 438 attempts, 20 drops 4.56%
10 Rex Grossman 432 attempts, 7 drops 1.62%

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmm well yah of course the more u throw the more drops you'll have. i dont see anything unusual about them.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmm well yah of course the more u throw the more drops you'll have. i dont see anything unusual about them.

Favre threw one more pass than Bulger, but has almost double the number of drops. So actually that does correlate. Compare the percentages. It shows that Favre has had the highest percentage of drops on the list.

16 different players have caught passes from Favre this season. With many of those guys being young and inexperienced, it's no wonder there have been so many drops. The frustrating part is watching the experienced guys, like the TEs on Sunday, dropping very catchable balls. Those kind of plays kill drive and push Favre to force more balls into reliable receivers, such as DD. Favre forcing passes leads to more INTs. Of course this spiral affect leads to more losses. Hopefully it will improve.

GO PACK GO!!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

You can't even base any solid intel on this information. What do they consider a dropped pass?

A pass that was behind the receiver who turned backwards and touched it with one hand?

A pass that hit the receiver with both hands?

Brett's had a lot of throws that were behind the receiver and the receiver was still able to hit it with his hand.

One could also argue, if you can get any part of your hand on the ball you should catch it. (dad pounded that one into my head growing up).

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:

You can't even base any solid intel on this information. What do they consider a dropped pass?

A pass that was behind the receiver who turned backwards and touched it with one hand?

Brett's had a lot of throws that were behind the receiver and the receiver was still able to hit it with his hand.

One could also argue, if you can get any part of your hand on the ball you should catch it. (dad pounded that one into my head growing up).

Maybe you and I had the same Dad. "You touched it, you should have caught it!"

I'm severely disappointed with the catching abilities of our TEs. I could see these stats being accurate, considering the games I've watched this year from the bar. We need a TE that can catch. Our 2 starting WRs, I'm very content with.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Dude, my pops would chuck the ball as hard as he could at me if I dropped it. And if I caught it with my body, the next one was gonna be a bullet when I wasn't expecting it.
He was a mason, a bricklayer for those who don't know what a mason is, and we'd toss bricks back an forth to make it easier to catch the football. Hurt like hell the first few times, but you learn very quick to catch with your HANDS instead of your body lol

Needless to say I'm very good at catching and good with my hands now :) ... guess father knows best afterall ...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly how they determine what a drop is and is not, and there is a big gray area, but I think they are fairly consistent. I can believe that Favre has endured far more than his share this year. Some of the throws may have been a bit off the mark or thrown too hard, but I don't think that would account for much of the discrepancy.

Everyone is dumping on the TE's now, with some justification, but Martin has been pretty sure-handed up till this last game, and he was coming back from an injury, so hopefully he will be fine. Lee had two horrible drops, but he did atone for one of them by making a really great effort to pick up a first down just a play or two later. The drops were bad, but things will even out.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
Zero2Cool said:

Dude, my pops would chuck the ball as hard as he could at me if I dropped it. And if I caught it with my body, the next one was gonna be a bullet when I wasn't expecting it.
He was a mason, a bricklayer for those who don't know what a mason is, and we'd toss bricks back an forth to make it easier to catch the football. Hurt like hell the first few times, but you learn very quick to catch with your HANDS instead of your body lol

Needless to say I'm very good at catching and good with my hands now :) ... guess father knows best afterall ...

Okay, you're not my brother. My father worked behind a desk, but was a WR in college. Didn't make the pros. But he had that attitude that you should catch everything in your direction, and make no excuses if you didn't catch it.

I don't think they make too many people like that anymore.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Tiger said:

found this while searching for an answer..

http://stats.globesports.com/fb/glossary.asp

Dropped Pass
Any incomplete pass which was catchable with normal effort.
STATS compares and reviews the judgement of multiple reporters to determine if a pass was dropped.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Tiger said:

found this while searching for an answer..

http://stats.globesports.com/fb/glossary.asp

Dropped Pass
Any incomplete pass which was catchable with normal effort.
STATS compares and reviews the judgement of multiple reporters to determine if a pass was dropped.

Hey,

We should send that link to 4packgirl lol !!!

All jokes aside, good info longtimefan !!!