Dropped passes percentage

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great compilation of Football Outsiders regarding dropped passes, and the percentage of dropped passes (droped pass per attempt).

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Offensive Drop Rate

Player Targets Drops Drop Rate
Daniel Coats 31 7 22.6%
Darrius Heyward-Bey 41 7 17.1%
Ahmad Bradshaw 30 5 16.7%
Brandon Jacobs 31 5 16.1%
Lance Long 40 6 15%
Donald Lee 54 8 14.8%
Daniel Fells 34 5 14.7%
Mark Bradley 56 8 14.3%
Dwayne Bowe 88 11 12.5%
DeAngelo Williams 41 5 12.2%

That above is the list of the worst hands in the league.

What conclusions can we take from that? Quarless might have been a great pickup.

Moreso, all those in favor of kicking Lee's butt out of town say AYE!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarless is so raw right now though. Don't expect much from him this season. Down the road, I think he has a very big upside, but no better than Jordyzzzz or James Jones do.

Donald Lee killed us last year with his dropped TD pass against the Grape Apes on 4th down. Just as Johnny Jolly and his stupid personal foul ghetto penalty on 4th down killed us against the purple rain.
Losing to that team, I have a hard time forgiving those responsible.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not completely ready to give up on Donald Lee just yet. He was playing with a wrist injury the entire season and we have too much invested in the guy to let him go so soon. I remember plays last year where he looked like the Donald Lee of the past (acrobatic TD leap into the endzone on the Thanksgiving game against the Lions.) I thought the Quarless pick was really bad. Don't get me wrong, I think this kid can be Jermichael Finley #2, but it's hard to imagine him making the active roster. I predict that he'll be one of the players on the practice squad. Like Frank said he's very raw and will need a full season to get up to speed in the NFL.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great compilation of Football Outsiders regarding dropped passes, and the percentage of dropped passes (droped pass per attempt).

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Offensive Drop Rate

That above is the list of the worst hands in the league.

What conclusions can we take from that? Quarless might have been a great pickup.

Moreso, all those in favor of kicking Lee's butt out of town say AYE!

donald lee 4th down on the GOALLINE against Min. OH MAN thAT wAs TOUGh drop TO WATCH!!!!

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Little unfair to group RBs in there.
No it isn't. Westbrook is #1, including every position, in dropped passes per attempt for the last 2 years, with 0.9 percent drop rate. And Westbrook, though he missed a lot of games, is always heavily targeted...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No it isn't. Westbrook is #1, including every position, in dropped passes per attempt for the last 2 years, with 0.9 percent drop rate. And Westbrook, though he missed a lot of games, is always heavily targeted...

In your opinion it isnt, but I just have a hard time grouping Brandon Jacobs and Hayward bey together as far as dropped passes go.

Its like grouping QBs with RBs when talking rushing.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In your opinion it isnt, but I just have a hard time grouping Brandon Jacobs and Hayward bey together as far as dropped passes go.

Its like grouping QBs with RBs when talking rushing.
How so?

We're not discussing if a RB is good or bad with those numbers.

It's just who has good hands and who has bad hands.

I know it's usually more important for a Wr, but go ask Andy Reid what he thinks about a Rb that can't catch the ball...

And if you read the article, you'll know that he does indeed groups Wrs with Wrs and Rbs with Rbs (though he only shows a small sample of it, for the complete numbers, you'll have to buy their magazine...)

And moreso, by comparing Wrs with Rbs, it puts a different light into a Wr's performance.

By dropping the same rate as Brandon Jacobs, who reportedly has bad hands, we know that picking DHB was a terrible decision by the Raiders...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I would like to see the complete list of all players they did. Not just the select few to make their point. I did catch this line.

Finally, the two-year totals (minimum: 30 targets in each season). The "best hands" group would have made for a hell of an offense in their respective peaks, with Brian WestbrookFinally, the two-year totals (minimum: 30 targets in each season). The "best hands" group would have made for a hell of an offense in their respective peaks, with Brian Westbrook (0.9 percent Drop Rate) at halfback, Sidney Rice (1.3 percent) and Lee Evans (1.5 percent) at wideout, and Tony Gonzalez (1.7 percent) catching whatever's left at tight end. (0.9 percent Drop Rate) at halfback, Sidney Rice (1.3 percent) and Lee Evans (1.5 percent) at wideout, and Tony Gonzalez (1.7 percent) catching whatever's left at tight end.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see the complete list of all players they did. Not just the select few to make their point. I did catch this line.
The select few are the top 5 and bottom 5...

And for the complete list, you'd have to buy their magazine. I won't, I don't care that much for a stat, just find it relevant...

Members online

Latest posts