Driver thinks Favre is going to hang it up!

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Found this on another message board:

TUESDAY, Feb. 1, 2005, 10:23 a.m.
Inside knowledge on Favre's status?

Green Bay Packers receiver Donald Driver said in a radio interview this morning that he believes Packers quarterback Brett Favre will decide to retire and not play another season in the National Football League.

Driver made his comments on Sirius NFL Radio on "The Opening Drive" show with Dan Reeves and Chris Moore. Sirius is a satellite pay radio service.

Driver, who is in Jacksonville for a Super Bowl promotion, was asked if Favre will return to play next season.

"I don't think so," Driver said. "Everyone has been asking me that question. He's a real close friend of mine and we've been talking back and forth, and I think he's pretty much going to hang 'em up. I always told him, if you're coming back just because of that playoff game, don't show up. But it you're going to come back to try and win another Super Bowl, we'd love to have you."

The Minnesota Vikings defeated the Packers, 31-17, on Jan. 9 to send the Packers out of the playoffs this season.

Driver said he thinks Favre has made up his mind and said the Packers' request to know his intentions before the draft, April 23-24, forced Favre to decide on retirement.

"I think so," Driver said when asked whether Favre had made up his mind. "I think he was trying to wait until the draft, and I think coach Sherman wanted to know right before free agency because there are a couple of quarterback free agents that they want to look at if Brett decided not to come back. I think they forced him to make a decision. When you force one of the greatest quarterbacks in the NFL to make a decision, he's pretty much going to let you know that he maybe is just hanging 'em up."

Favre, 35, has played for 14 seasons in the NFL, 13 for the Packers.

-By Bob Wolfley

If Donald is right, it's going to be a sad day in Packerland :cry: I would rather hear it from Brett, but this doesn't sound good.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw it too! I will believe it when Brett says it. I hope it is not true,but,if he wants to retire it is up to him. He has done it all. I can't blame him if he does,he wants to see his kids grow up. Hate to see him go,but 14 years is a long time to play,plus 4 years in collage andthen in high school 4 years. That is a long time to play football.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
That's the first I've heard of this. I still think he'll be back for one more, but if he isn't does anyone have any idea how much he would count against the cap if he'd count at all. If he were to retire this offseason, that would concievably free up enough money to take a run at Hasselbeck. I'd love for him to be Favre's successor as he was once slated to be.

PackerBuff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised when I heard this from Driver today. I'll be honest, I will be disappointed if Brett retires. I know his personal troubles have been tough, but you can tell he still loves to play and I think he has at least a couple of good years left in him. And with the improvements the team is making in the front office and defense, there's at least one more SB run here. If Elway can win a SB at 38 so can Brett.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter King of SI wrote an article a few weeks back that brought up some good points the main one being that its hard to imagine Brett hanging it up when he didn't have his whole family at the last game. I hope that he atleast comes back for 1 more year unless something drastic happens this off season its hard to believe he would leave the Packers hanging without a starting QB.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I don't know Driver personally, but that last paragraph does not sound like him at all. Something bout that article doesn't click.

As for him retiring, I've said all the along if the Packers make the needed changes on the coaching staff he'd try one more or two years. I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire though. Tough call, so many points that can be made to either side.

Here's a link supporting the article though.
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 9454.shtml

OP
OP
NCPackerfan

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you force one of the greatest quarterbacks in the NFL to make a decision, he's pretty much going to let you know that he maybe is just hanging 'em up."

I don't understand this statement. I realize Sherman asked Brett to give him a decision prior to Free Agency (March 2) rather than wait until the draft (April), but I don't see that as an unreasonable request. He will have almost two full months to get over the playoff game and evaluate his future priorities. That should be plenty of time IMO. I don't know how Deannas illness fits into this. She has supposedly completed her chemo therapy and is rehabing at home. I know nothing about what's involved with rehabing from cancer treatments, but I would think they would have a pretty good feel about it before March. I DO hope she's doing well though. Not to fan the rumor flames, but I saw on another message board where it's been widely speculated that Brett hates Rossley as the Offensive coordinator. I suppose it's possible that when Rossley survived the coaching purge, Brett decided he didn't want to come back.

IU_packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre, Done?

i also saw this quote from driver, i dont want to believe it, but if that is what he decides we all know he's doing it for the right reasons. but, in all honesty, this coming year may be the last year we have hope for a run in the playoffs for a while, it would be awesome to see brett come back for one more magical year. he is the heart and soul of the team, it would be a sad, sad day in packerland if this rumor comes true.

Pack Fan from Indiana

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is making me feel kinda sick. That's not to say I'm on the verge of puking, because that would be a ridiculous exagerration, but I have felt really "off" since reading this earlier today.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the last thing Donald Driver should be doing is making stupid statements like this. If and when Brett decides to hang up his cleats it should come from his mouth.
What is Donald Driver trying to make a buck hitting the talk show circuit talking about Brett?

PackerBuff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scott Favre thinks his brother will return

The latest from Packersnews.com has Brett's brother Scott saying that he thinks Brett will come back. This certainly makes me feel better after the comments by Driver. I know Brett has a couple of very good years in him and an improved D should result in another SB run.

Favre

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope Brett plays at least 2 more years. If he does not, he did give the Packers 13 very good years. Conflicting rumors is the NFL norm. Brett Favre is a living legend.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to my friend - David - a statement by Jim Bates matches Brett's brother's sentiment. We had ESPN on while I was working on his computer.... I cannot confirm him saying it - I was in a different room... It may replay on ESPN - Can someone follow up? I don't have cable TV at home. Just hi-speed Internet access.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
According to my friend - David - a statement by Jim Bates matches Brett's brother's sentiment. We had ESPN on while I was working on his computer.... I cannot confirm him saying it - I was in a different room... It may replay on ESPN - Can someone follow up? I don't have cable TV at home. Just hi-speed Internet access.

didnt catch any coverage on a bates statement...plenty on drivers though. i imagine anything coming from the packer camp is simply a dressed up "we dont know s#!%."

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I sure hope Brett comes back this year nad every year after that. We all know that is impossible though. Here's what I hope Brett will do. Decide when his last year is and announce it before the season. MLB is great at this. This allows the league to schedule his last game at home, and allows fans throughout the country to celebrate him once and for all at their home stadium. I would love to know for sure that I'm seeing his final game rather than find out in the offseason that the last time I saw him play was the last time I would see him play.

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
driver talks like he seen him yesterday HE TALKED TO BRETT 1 MONTH AGO. thats to early especially after a tuff loss. AS OF 2/7/05 CHRIS MORTENSEN OF ESPN SAID SOURCES SAID FAVRE WILL PLAY IN 05

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
here's the mortenson piece

Less than a week after Packers wide receiver Donald Driver opined that Brett Favre was headed for retirement, sources close to the Packer quarterback have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Favre is likely to return for the 2005 season. Former Green Bay GM Ron Wolf chimed in with his two cents, indicating he believes Favre will return as well.

We haven't heard from Favre's pharmacologist, Warren Jensen, or the guy whose lawn Favre used to cut as a kid yet, and there's only a month left for random speculation before Favre is expected to announce his decision. Consult your favorite magic eight ball for more details.

Members online

Latest posts