Draft Ratings (by Round)

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For R1, I'd give us a B+

No individual game changers, but two solid picks who will elevate the D as a whole. Not flashy at all, but the sum will be greater than total.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh, draft night ratings are always absurd. It often takes 2-3+ years to figure out a draft.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Round 2 C-
Interesting. I love the round 2 move. Packers tried to trade into the first to get Watson. They obviously love the kid and his athleticism and work ethic are great.

I give day 2 an A-. Filled needs with high upside guys. And I think they fit perfectly with what the Packers did on Day 1. They have upgraded their weakest starters from last year or projected starters - Newman, Lancaster/Reed, Barnes, and Lazard. TE is probably the only spot that could worse depending on Tonyan

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Round 1: #22 (Quay Walker) & #28 (Devonte Wyatt)

A = Walker and Wyatt are immediate contributors that will factor heavily from Week 1. Both are proven champions on the same collegiate team, and as teammates will bring athleticism and attitude on the field.

Round 2: #34 (Christian Watson)

B = Giving up #53 & #59 to a divsion rival for a kid coming from the FCS sounds crazy, but when looking at the tape, studying the measurables, and analyzing the immseaurables; Watson can potentially be a top NFL WR.

The trade speaks for itself, and ensures Watson will get the full Rodgers crash course as he will be expected to contribute immediately. I think he'll flirt with NFL OROY.

Round 3: #92 (Sean Rhyan)

B = As for Sean Rhyan? This guy was a tackle at the collegiate level which should bold well, as he converts to guard, he'll be adept at deterring inside pass rushers. If Jenkins and Bakh return healthy, along with progression from Meyers and the RT is soldified, then this pick is a steal. Rhyan is pro ready.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
1.22: Quay Walker— B

Walker is a good pick, in that he’s the best prospect this class has to offer at a position of real need.

He’s not a great pick, in that he’s a lower value position in the middle of the 1st round.

1.28: Devonte Wyatt— B-

Wyatt fulfills a need and is probably the draft’s best interior pass rusher, but I downgrade it given that he’s 24.

Trade Up (#53 and #59 for #34)— D+

This was an overpay.

2.34: Christian Watson— C+

I have questions about Watson, but I can’t be too harsh given how quickly the vertical speed threats flew off the board.

3.92: Sean Rhyan— A

Rhyan checks every box you want checked at this point of the draft. He’s a tackle who likely plays inside, he’s a versatile run blocker, he’s got good movement skills, and he’s young.

Overall I think this draft is sitting at a B/B- for me.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what grade I'd give it but I can't complain too much so far.

Given the assessment that we had 6ish WR prospects graded as 1st-round prospects, with the way things fell I'm okay that we didn't get one in R1. I have a hunch - nothing to prove this, just speculating - but I'd bet that out of those 6 1st-rd graded WRs there were probably only 2 or 3 that they would've been willing to move up for. If I had to guess, Wilson, London, Williams. I think they would've taken Burks, Dotson, Olave in the first but probably didn't rate them worth moving up for...and by the same merit, looking at what it would've cost to get in to the range that Wilson/London/Williams (and Olave) were drafted, it would've been really steep.

I'm happy with Walker and Wyatt. If we still had last year's WR room (Davante, MVS) I'd go so far as to say that it would have been an A+ first round. Obviously that's not the case, those guys are gone, so that need is greater, but when looking beyond just 'need' I think we did quite well.

I think probably the only two complaints I could make is that *maybe* it was a bit high for Walker - but of course we saw Dean fall a long way. Maybe you could question if Walker was a better choice than Lloyd. And you could probably say we overpaid to get Watson, but at the same time... a lot of WRs ended up going before our original first day-two pick, so we were probably going to need to move up to get one of our top-graded guys one way or another. Maybe not as high as 34, maybe not giving up so much, but I don't think we get one of our preferred players if we stay pat at 53.

Rhyan I'm really happy with too. I think that pick's both a great value and fills need.

So I don't know, maybe call it like a B+, A-?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s been discussed elsewhere but my irrationally early grading for each

Walker - B-
Wyatt - A-
Watson - C+
Rhyan - A+

Reaction score
Interesting. I love the round 2 move. Packers tried to trade into the first to get Watson. They obviously love the kid and his athleticism and work ethic are great.

I give day 2 an A-. Filled needs with high upside guys. And I think they fit perfectly with what the Packers did on Day 1. They have upgraded their weakest starters from last year or projected starters - Newman, Lancaster/Reed, Barnes, and Lazard. TE is probably the only spot that could worse depending on Tonyan
I agree. Ok we paid a “market price” but pretty much everyone did.

Also let’s consider that if we tried to trade up into back of RD1?? If that’s true then what difference does trading 53/59 make if he’s drafted at 30 or 34 or whatever. To us he’s worth it and we obviously would’ve used those 2 selections either way. It’s the cost of getting the best.

It also speaks to how valuable Wyatt was. They chose him over our first WR? How about that. It’s a remarkable compliment that a team would face all the global scrutiny that comes with his choice not being a WR. That’s a total commitment. I hope Mr. Wyatt recognizes that and thanks our staff, because it’s pretty apparent they love the guy to overlook concerns off the field.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Ok we paid a “market price” but pretty much everyone did.

Also let’s consider that if we tried to trade up into back of RD1?? If that’s true then what difference does trading 53/59 make if he’s drafted at 30 or 34 or whatever. To us he’s worth it and we obviously would’ve used those 2 selections either way. It’s the cost of getting the best.

It also speaks to how valuable Wyatt was. They chose him over our first WR? How about that. It’s a remarkable compliment that a team would face all the global scrutiny that comes with his choice not being a WR. That’s a total commitment. I hope Mr. Wyatt recognizes that and thanks our staff, because it’s pretty apparent they love the guy to overlook concerns off the field.
Yep, that's how I'd put it. And IIRC I think Gute said something to the effect of "We were surprised Wyatt was there at 28" - that coupled with all the noise that we supposedly tried to move back into the first and/or thought Watson was a first-round talent makes me think that if Wyatt wasn't there then we'd have taken Watson at 28.

So with that in mind - hearing a lot of complaints that we gave up too much value - per Rich Hill chart 53+59 = 197 points and 34 = 175 points, so (-22) for us. But if you look at 53+59 for 28 then it's like giving up 197 points to get back 209 points, so...not looking so bad in that sense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubs pick is A- for me. Higher current floor than Watson, can get open off routes not just athleticism. He will grow into an excellent depth WR with long term potential to be a serious contender for starting role by end of rookie contract.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said before that I thought a move up was possible, even likely but I was thinking more like 5-10 spots if the last WR Gute liked was the only one left. Instead he traded what he had to to get the highest WR on his list. That tells me he wasn't ignoring the WR position in Rd 1 just that the cost of getting the guys he may have wanted was too high. It also tells me he liked Watson a lot more than any of the other guys who were left. Not only because he is the guy he took but because he may have been able to save some draft capital and only moved up half that and still gotten someone else (or, as it turned out, stood pat and still gotten Moore) that a lot of us would have been happy with. If you are satisfied with who's left you stand pat or even trade down You don't trade up to get who's left you trade up to get the guy you want. That's what Gute did.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For R1, I'd give us a B+

No individual game changers, but two solid picks who will elevate the D as a whole. Not flashy at all, but the sum will be greater than total.
Think we will go for a TE? Or try to find another somewhere in the league.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I didn't like giving up both 2nds for D2 talent. Round 2 by itslef is a C-. With one pick left I'm saying solid B for the whole draft

Reaction score
My Grades:
Walker: B+
Wyatt: A (A+ when both rd. 1 picks paired together: taking potential impact on defense into consideration)
Watson: A
Rhyan: B
Doubs: C+ or B- (can't decide which grade to give him, B- if he reaches his estimated full potential)
Tom: B (B+ or A- when paired with Rhyan and if they can both provide much needed OL depth, A if they both reach their potential as players down the road)
Enagbare: C-
Carpenter: C-
Ford: C-

I didn't rate the round 5-7 guys highly not because they were bad picks, but because they are 5th to 7th round picks, a crapshoot.

With the Walker pick, while a good pick, I am feeling like there were better options. However, when you pair him with Wyatt and take into consideration the collective potential impact, I feel they both can elevate the defense to another level by filling holes as well as giving Barry the option to move players around/try different lineups. This makes it a great round 1 and Walker a great pick when paired with Wyatt in my view.

Overall, I feel that this was a good draft. I think it would have been a homerun if we could have drafted another WR in the second rd., especially if that WR was Pickens, Pierce, or Moore, but I understand they had to move up. I feel we still need to trade for a WR. and/or add a veteran in free agency if we really want to fill the WR. hole and contend for a Superbowl this year.

I think the best picks were Wyatt and Watson. Wyatt because of the impact on the defense/filling a team need, and Watson because I think he has superstar potential (and should be a good WR. at the very least even if doesn't become a superstar).

Reaction score
I didn't like giving up both 2nds for D2 talent. Round 2 by itslef is a C-. With one pick left I'm saying solid B for the whole draft
FCS is not DII (although it is true that D2 does occasionally upset FCS level schools)

Also NDST was the Champion at the FCS level. So drafting the best WR in the FCS in Round 2 is not unheard of.
Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens and Randy Moss are all examples of FCS players who were similarly underestimated coming out of college. Where would you rank them all time against FBS school players?
We should not consider those guys inferior because they came from FCS (or Div1-AA with Rice?) schools.

Billy Turner played for the Packers and I never saw 1 person say he played inferior?
What round do you suppose Trevor Penning went?

If you don’t like the player just say you don’t like him. No reason to imply D1AA players shouldn’t be drafted.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My Grades:
Walker: B+
Wyatt: A (A+ when both rd. 1 picks paired together: taking potential impact on defense into consideration)
Watson: A
Rhyan: B
Doubs: C+ or B- (can't decide which grade to give him, B- if he reaches his estimated full potential)
Tom: B (B+ or A- when paired with Rhyan and if they can both provide much needed OL depth, A if they both reach their potential as players down the road)
Enagbare: C-
Carpenter: C-
Ford: C-

I didn't rate the round 5-7 guys highly not because they were bad picks, but because they are 5th to 7th round picks, a crapshoot.

With the Walker pick, while a good pick, I am feeling like there were better options. However, when you pair him with Wyatt and take into consideration the collective potential impact, I feel they both can elevate the defense to another level by filling holes as well as giving Barry the option to move players around/try different lineups. This makes it a great round 1 and Walker a great pick when paired with Wyatt in my view.

Overall, I feel that this was a good draft. I think it would have been a homerun if we could have drafted another WR in the second rd., especially if that WR was Pickens, Pierce, or Moore, but I understand they had to move up. I feel we still need to trade for a WR. and/or add a veteran in free agency if we really want to fill the WR. hole and contend for a Superbowl this year.

I think the best picks were Wyatt and Watson. Wyatt because of the impact on the defense/filling a team need, and Watson because I think he has superstar potential (and should be a good WR. at the very least even if doesn't become a superstar).
On second thought, I actually like Enagbare and Doubs more now after researching them, I think they were both good picks, despite being taken later in the draft.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts