Draft Picks get assigned numbers..

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I wonder if I can pull off the Brooks name plate and get a new one with Nelson. ;)

Source...

The draft picks, by the numbers
The Packers have assigned uniform numbers to the players they drafted over the weekend.

Remember that they're subject to change.

No. 10 -- QB Matt Flynn. (He wore No. 15 at LSU. Retired long ago for Bart Starr.)

No. 11 -- QB Brian Brohm. (He wore No. 12 at Louisville. Already taken by Aaron Rodgers.)

No. 16 -- WR Brett Swain. (That was his number at San Diego State.)

No. 22 -- CB Patrick Lee. (He wore No. 20 at Auburn. Already taken by Atari Bigby.)

No. 68 -- T Breno Giacomini. (He wore No. 78 at Louisville. Already taken by Allen Barbre.)

No. 71 -- G Josh Sitton. (He wore No. 70 at Central Florida. Already taken by Joe Toledo.)

No. 87 -- WR Jordy Nelson. (He wore No. 27 at Kansas State. Already taken by Ryan Grant.)

No. 88 -- TE Jermichael Finley. (He wore No. 16 at Texas. Tight ends must have numbers in the 80s if available.)

No. 99 -- DE Jeremy Thompson. (He wore No. 98 at Wake Forest. Already taken by Alfred Malone.)

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weird, they didn't give Brett Swain a receiver number, maybe they see him as moore of a return guy even though Ted Thompson said they targeted him as a receiver. Perhaps there wasn't any numbers available?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Pack.
I like that kind of trivia. Didn't know about the TE #'ing, but makes sense because you have to differentiate them from the rest of the OL (since they're eligible receivers).

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Thanks Pack.
I like that kind of trivia. Didn't know about the TE #'ing, but makes sense because you have to differentiate them from the rest of the OL (since they're eligible receivers).

Another small bit on trivia.. Patrick Lee got assigned the number that another Lee once held here in Green Bay.. # 22 Mark Lee.. between him and Timmy Lewis, they were a pretty good pair of CB in their day.. unfortunately Lewis hurt his neck and was forced out of the game.. What a tandum they made.

22 and 26.. for many years those were my pin number for ATM cards and CC's.

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weird, they didn't give Brett Swain a receiver number, maybe they see him as moore of a return guy even though Ted Thompson said they targeted him as a receiver. Perhaps there wasn't any numbers available?

Receivers are allowed to take numbers 11-19 if all the 80's are already taken

EarthQuake

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. 87 -- WR Jordy Nelson. (He wore No. 27 at Kansas State. Already taken by Ryan Grant.)

Grant wears #25 unless something changed. 27 is will blackmon.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a receiver wearing a teen-numbered jersey is like being an enlisted man wearing a red shirt on a Star Trek landing party....

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The No. 4 isn't retired yet...they should give it to someone for training camp. I think that would be hilarious.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a receiver wearing a teen-numbered jersey is like being an enlisted man wearing a red shirt on a Star Trek landing party....
LOLOLOLOL!!!!
GREAT one Since69!!! :lol:

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The No. 4 isn't retired yet...they should give it to someone for training camp. I think that would be hilarious.

Yeah, I was going to post Brohm should take it. :D

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know Breylon (SP?) is pretty good. I think his number is 17.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since69 said:
LOLOLOLOL!!!!
GREAT one Since69!!! :lol:

I thought it was pretty good too. :thumbsup:

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nathaniel said:

Yeah, I was going to post Brohm should take it. :D

That's all TT would need. If they did give it to him even as a clubhouse joke that would start a mass hysteria that TT did force Brett out.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone remember The Magic Man wearing #5 in his first pre-season for a couple of weeks?
I think he did until the complaints started coming in.
I am not 100% sure of this, if anyone else remembers please verify my post.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Does anyone remember The Magic Man wearing #5 in his first pre-season for a couple of weeks?

That would be correct the Majik man did wear that number for the preseason of 87 I believe.. however I don't know why he changed numbers.. if I remember right there was a K or P that wore the number in a preseason as well back in the late 80's.. could be wrong.

**Edit.. it was bugging me because I couldn't remember so I looked it up..

http://www.packers.com/history/record_book/results_and_rosters/all_time_jersey_numbers/?number=5

*O'Donnell, **** (E), Minnesota 1925-26
*Purdy, Pid (B), Beloit 1927
*Baker, Roy (B), Southern California 1928
*Monnett, Bob (B), Michigan State 1936-37
*Bruder, Hank (B), Northwestern 1938-39
*Rid****, Ray (E), Fordham 1940-41
Hornung, Paul (B), Notre Dame 1957-62, 64-66
Ferragamo, Vince (QB), Nebraska 1986
Gillus, Willie (QB), Norfolk State 1987
*Majkowski, Don (QB), Virginia 1987
Burrow, Curtis (K), Central Arkansas 1988

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You are correct.

From the article:
For Packers players, the franchise's history never recedes. The legendary players, the Bart Starrs and the Ray Nitschkes, come to training camp and file into the stands for home games and counsel the current Packers on the tradition they have joined.

"I was aware of all the history and all the great players that went before me," said Don Majkowski, the Packers' quarterback from 1987 to 1992. "When I got there, I was in awe, just standing in the locker room, knowing guys like Bart Starr and Paul Hornung had been there."

As a rookie, Majkowski was issued No. 5, Hornung's number. It made him so uncomfortable he gave it back. He became friends with Hornung and Starr and, like them, he goes back to Green Bay for nearly every home game, from his home in Atlanta.