Draft Expectations...let's discuss

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With some teams raising eyebrows now about Myles Jack......what if he slips to #27?
Doesn't hurt to dream!

Although my gut tells me he may bust, I would take him.

As far as Smith goes, I would love to have him. If I was sure he was coming back at 100% in 2017 I would take him at 27. How can you not add such an impact player? Imagine if a Von Miller was in the middle with CM3 on the edge. Thats a scary defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Doesn't hurt to dream!

Although my gut tells me he may bust, I would take him.

As far as Smith goes, I would love to have him. If I was sure he was coming back at 100% in 2017 I would take him at 27. How can you not add such an impact player? Imagine if a Von Miller was in the middle with CM3 on the edge. Thats a scary defense.

I would love to add Jaylon Smith as well but by drafting him in the first round how do you plan on addressing positions in need of an upgrade (ILB, DL) for the 2016 season???

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to add Jaylon Smith as well but by drafting him in the first round how do you plan on addressing positions in need of an upgrade (ILB, DL) for the 2016 season???
I want to win a superbowl. You do that with great players and not with mediocre free agent hole fillers. And I dont think, outside of the top 2 ilbs that you will have better play in 2016 at ilb than Barrington and Ryan from the draft. So I would much rather have a clay matthews in 2017 for 3 years than a Mike neal for 4 years starting in 2016.

D

Deleted member 6794

I want to win a superbowl. You do that with great players and not with mediocre free agent hole fillers. And I dont think, outside of the top 2 ilbs that you will have better play in 2016 at ilb than Barrington and Ryan from the draft. So I would much rather have a clay matthews in 2017 for 3 years than a Mike neal for 4 years starting in 2016.

Well, if Thompson's plan all along was to draft Smith why not sign a free agent offering a short term solution for the 2016 season??? Especially if you don't think there are any prospects outside of the top two available presenting an upgrade over the Packers current starters.

BTW you didn't answer my question.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if Thompson's plan all along was to draft Smith why not sign a free agent offering a short term solution for the 2016 season???

BTW you didn't answer my question.
Thompson is confined to what the draft will bring him and not relying on anything in the draft.

The answer would be that our ILBs cannot be upgraded with the signing of a FA. There are no players available that make a sensible reason to spend salary cap on. TT does not panic and that is an excellent quality in a GM.

D

Deleted member 6794

The answer would be that our ILBs cannot be upgraded with the signing of a FA. There are no players available that make a sensible reason to spend salary cap on. TT does not panic and that is an excellent quality in a GM.

You gotta be kidding. There were several inside linebackers available in free agency this offseason fitting the Packers biggest need at the position who all signed for reasonable deals.

While I agree he doesn't panic it takes him way too long to address weaknesses on the roster though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson has a way of under valueing certain positions. ILB is definately one of those positions. I remember reading he thought guards were interchangable with anyone, when he dropped Wahle and Rivera. He eventually come around to getting quality Gs. DL in his 3-4(2-4) was not concerning until the defense completely fell apart without one. Now it seems he thinks average ILBs are fine for the scheme, as long as his other pieces are in place. That being a better Dline, great OLBs and a strong tackling secondary.

Im becoming a believer that ILB is a stablizer for a defense. Good ones fill in the gaps... Bad ones let Fitzgerald frolic 60 yards in overtime...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson has a way of under valueing certain positions. ILB is definately one of those positions. I remember reading he thought guards were interchangable with anyone, when he dropped Wahle and Rivera. He eventually come around to getting quality Gs. DL in his 3-4(2-4) was not concerning until the defense completely fell apart without one. Now it seems he thinks average ILBs are fine for the scheme, as long as his other pieces are in place. That being a better Dline, great OLBs and a strong tackling secondary.

Im becoming a believer that ILB is a stablizer for a defense. Good ones fill in the gaps... Bad ones let Fitzgerald frolic 60 yards in overtime...
Let's rehash Whale and Rivera, shortened version , any GM that kept them at that price at that time would have been out of a job in a season for being a blazing idiot. and there aren't many ILB's that can cover Larry Fitzgerald, the young one or the old one. I suppose if you put a DB at ILB I guess you could say one can. But then there's a reason teams don't put 2 DB's at the ILB position.

I think DL, OLB and DB's are more important to any defense than an ILB. But an excellent ILB behind a below average DL and they suddenly look dont' look very good. Put an average ILB behind a good DL and they look a lot better. I think most DC's would agree. it seems they spend a lot more time and resources looking for those big guys up front, the pass rushers and those that cover the pass catchers than ILB's, i'd guess that's for a reason.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think DL, OLB and DB's are more important to any defense than an ILB. But an excellent ILB behind a below average DL and they suddenly look dont' look very good. Put an average ILB behind a good DL and they look a lot better.

Once again, it's true that above average defensive linemen make inside linebackers look better in the run game but it doesn't make them improve in covering running backs or tight ends on passing plays. And that's where the Packers are in desparate need of an upgrade.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's rehash Whale and Rivera, shortened version , any GM that kept them at that price at that time would have been out of a job in a season for being a blazing idiot. and there aren't many ILB's that can cover Larry Fitzgerald, the young one or the old one. I suppose if you put a DB at ILB I guess you could say one can. But then there's a reason teams don't put 2 DB's at the ILB position.

I think DL, OLB and DB's are more important to any defense than an ILB. But an excellent ILB behind a below average DL and they suddenly look dont' look very good. Put an average ILB behind a good DL and they look a lot better. I think most DC's would agree. it seems they spend a lot more time and resources looking for those big guys up front, the pass rushers and those that cover the pass catchers than ILB's, i'd guess that's for a reason.
Besides $ side of the wahle rivera cuts. Which surely dictated the moves on a rebuilding team. But he still said he considered guards interchangeable. as in anyone could play the position...
As far as a ILB covering Fitz. I wouldn't expect a ilb to have him for an assignment. But I do enjoy when a ilb comes in and makes a quick tackle when a Wr is dancing around his guy... ugh.....

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Applying realistic expectations to this year's draft class, I'm hoping for the following:

- Kenny Clark - 1st Rounder

Expect him to push if not claim a starting spot or minimal steady rotational spot up front on Defense and be around for his second contract. I'm fine if all we ever get is a solid starter/contributor along our defensive front through 2 contracts...which from all signs is not too much to ask or expect. The man is quicker than he should be for his size and his wrestling background taught him hand control and leverage...both invaluable int he trenches.

- Jason Spriggs - 2nd Rounder

The PERFECT 2nd round pick in my mind, sure fire starter on probably over 24 teams in the NFL....may not see that here though for the first year. Some had 1st round grade on him, and he is possibly the most "athletic" OL that was in the draft. His skillset makes him a candidate for Tackle or possibly Guard moving forward...but I honestly expect him to push Bakh some and be set to start Week 1 in 2017. He will be around for years to come IMO, and will possibly even work his way into being the blindside protection blanket for AR's last years in the league. That's best case for him money wise, but worst case for the Packers I think he is still a starter moving forward 2017 onward...just possibly not at LT.

- Kyler Fackrell - 3rd Rounder

I expect ST's contributions, competition for back up OLB roles, and situational play at best case scenario. By 2nd or 3rd year be nice to see him in atleast a rotational role/some package sets. 2nd contract is entirely up to him, many say he has the skills and the work ethic...question is can he capitalize on his limited chances he'll get for a few years (barring injuries). If Blake Martinez, Barrington and Ryan aren't enough to keep Clay at OLB instead of ILB...can Fackrell become the threat he was in 2014, but than stepped back from in 2015 due to injury recovery? I like the pick, but then again wouldn't be shocked if he fizzles.

- Blake Martinez - 4th Rounder

I actually feel safer saying Blake will be around for a 2nd contract more so than Fackrell...but that is more position based than anything else really. Blake is a tried and true worker, even opposing coaches seem to have nothing to say but good things about him. Solid family and solid LB'er. Coverage is a question at times but also some say a strength. His instinctual play is a pleasure to watch, but at the next level can it translate or get tricked by opposing offensive schemes far more intricate than college ones. We got a good one here...similar to Ryan, he'll work his butt off and at times his desire and motor will make plays. *HOPING he contributes at ILB, but I know worst case he'll be a solid ST'er and rotational ILB for us.

- Dean Lowry - 4th Rounder

He's a big guy, whistle to whistle type and that can always keep a man around. I think he's spells the end to some of our experiments with upfront lineman on the roster...as I think he's good enough to be a solid back up breather type guy...future starter though I think might be a stretch. Realistically one of the two 4ths won't be here in 4 years...my money if forced would say Lowry would be the one that isn't.

-Trevor Davis - 5th Rounder

Skill positions this late are the only ones I still hold hope for contributions from. I think Davis has the skillset and the burners to help us, but only most likely as a returner in 2016...if we think he can hide on a practice squad he may even wide up there depending what way we go with Abby/Monty/Janis/Adams. No doubt though many feel he was a slight steal where we got him at, and all signs point towards a high ceiling for him. Me personally, I think this means Abby is out...but I don't necessarily feel Davis is a sure fire long term option just yet either.

- Kyle Murphy - 6th Rounder

Solid depth guy, he sees the end of his contract I say successful worthwhile pick....he sees a second one, we got a steal. Strength and footwork seem to need some work, but solid Tackle on a solid college team....love large trench warriors, we got one.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez will be given a chance not a ton of 4th rounders get due to our ILB situation that is for sure. If he doesn't grab the role, it won't be from lack of trying from everything you read on him.

Members online

Latest posts