Draft Class Superlatives

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Favorite Pick: Tucker Kraft, TE, SDST- Kraft was one of a handful of favorites of mine in this class. He's one of a very small number of guys in this class that I've seen live. I really believe in the athlete, player, and person. I believe he will have people wondering how he was still on the board in the 3rd round.

Least Favorite Pick: Anders Carlson, K, AUB- I'm not opposed to drafting a kicker if a good one is on the board, but as I look through Carlson's college career, he doesn't seem remotely draftable. I would guess he will be easy for a camp leg to beat out, and hence be a wasted pick.

Most Immediate Impact: Jayden Reed, WR, MSU- I would guess it would be one of the day 2 pass catchers. Tight ends tend to take a little bit longer to develop, but given that Reed's calling card is his refinement, I could see him helping a lot from the slot right away, plus as a punt returner.

Most Long-Term Impact: Lukas Van Ness, ED, IA- Van Ness is young and in need of development, but he's an elite athlete who should, in time, turn into a really dangerous pass rusher.

Round 6-7 Most Likely to Succeed: Carrington Valentine, CB, UK- Valentine is only 21 years old and based on what you read, most of his issues are correctable (if he has the aptitude to learn). He has the tools to excel in the NFL.

Most Handsome Draft Pick: Luke Musgrave, TE, ORST- Look at that hair. The "I tried to make it look like I'm not trying" look really works for some guys.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Dantes it appears that you have a viable crystal ball. You knocked it right out of the park!

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great find PB. I also seem to remember Old School singing Kraft's praises pre-draft. Post draft for sure.
I personally complained about both the Clifford and Carlson picks. I felt even if they saw something in those guys they took them too soon. I remember being pissed when Wicks was still on the board and then they were still able to get him later. That's why I am going to keep my day job this year.

Reaction score
Think im sold on getting an 85 jersey, Kraft is made to be a Packer.
He was my favorite selection in my Mock draft. I was jumping up n down when we made that selection. It scared me a little how slow he started. Missed a few blocks, looked a little timid at first in limited duty. Then he just blossomed like a Wildflower out of nowhere.

Before last draft I had him on my board at #65 overall, but thought he’d be in that low to high #50-#75 parameter. So when Tucker fell to our #78 pick I couldn’t believe it.

Watching him now? Pick #78 plays like pick #58. Not La Porta great (yet) but Very solid Football player.

both Musgrave and Kraft could be starters. Were pretty thick at WR/TE.
I’d strongly consider waiting until Rd6-7 to add a TE next draft year.

Last edited:

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was my favorite selection in my Mock draft. I was jumping up n down when we made that selection. It scared me a little how slow he started. Missed a few blocks, looked a little timid at first in limited duty. Then he just blossomed like a Wildflower out of nowhere.

Before last draft I had him on my board at #65 overall, but thought he’d be in that low to high #50-#75 parameter. So when Tucker fell to our #78 pick I couldn’t believe it.

Watching him now? Pick #78 plays like pick #58. Not La Porta great (yet) but Very solid Football player.

both Musgrave and Kraft could be starters. Were pretty thick at WR/TE.
I’d strongly consider waiting until Rd6-7 to add a TE next draft year.
South Dakota strong ... also i like sims and dont forget tyler Davis will be back he was a special team leader before injury...almost think we can pass on TE for this draft. unreal.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am strongly beginning to think adding a WR before just a late round flyer would honestly be more bad than good for this young group that seems tighter than thieves and growing insanely fast.

Watson
Doubs
Reed
Wicks
Heath
Melton
Toure

Just keep this cheap group going and rolling.

Now a TE drafted for sure to replace Hback duties of Deguara would be welcomed but I don’t want to mess with this WR room growth personally.

Reaction score
I am strongly beginning to think adding a WR before just a late round flyer would honestly be more bad than good for this young group that seems tighter than thieves and growing insanely fast.

Watson
Doubs
Reed
Wicks
Heath
Melton
Toure

Just keep this cheap group going and rolling.

Now a TE drafted for sure to replace Hback duties of Deguara would be welcomed but I don’t want to mess with this WR room growth personally.
That’s more n more what I’m thinking early on in the draft. Although if they see a WR as early as Rd 3, where there at 18 WR consensus options in Day1-2, which is thick as Molasses. With one of the thickest WR position group drafts coming up in 2024, it often results in pushing players down a Round+
We also typically stash a couple on PS. So that’s basically a cupboard with 8+ options at WR next year.

I think I recently counted 26 consensus Top 150 Wideouts.
To put that 26 WR’s in perspective we’ve had WR prospects numbering in that Top150.
2024-26
2023-20
2022-23
2021-24
2020-24

Puka went the last selection of Round 5 at #177 and is sitting at 1,445 yards with time remaining.
I’d sure so hate to hard pass with blinders on someone like that because I felt content with Heath or Toure. I like them as people but they have 192 yards combined in 2023. Also we almost always have 1-2 WR’s miss significant time, so it’s smart to PS 1-2 guys after the Camp and PS battles.

While we have picked 5 WR’s across the last 2 drafts, We only picked 1 WR across the three consecutive drafts before that 2019,2020,2021 drafts. That was Amari Rodgers.
Plus 2 of our 6 WR selections across that last 5 consecutive years of drafts were 7th Rounders (Dubose/Toure) and Amari is long gone.

Now I’m not trying to change your mind, you and Schultz can stay pat at WR if you feel complacent. I want weapons for my man Jordan in pipeline and it’s clear he’s going to air it out in future years.
I agree not drafting a TE in 2024 as there will be a Frenzy over basically 5 top 150 options, which is highly likely why we doubled down in 2023.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we could use a TE/FB hybrid yet and since the crop of Offensive linemen is supposedly? good and deep in this draft? I'd prefer a couple of shots there or at CB/ILB/S if we aren't in line for a run stuffing/pocket collapsing DT.

Edit: I really hope we get 3 really good players that will be future core players regardless of what position they play. With 12 picks, I'd consider that a major draft victory.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we could use a TE/FB hybrid yet and since the crop of Offensive linemen is supposedly? good and deep in this draft? I'd prefer a couple of shots there or at CB/ILB/S if we aren't in line for a run stuffing/pocket collapsing DT.

If we truly want to add a day1 starter in the TE/FB HBack role to replace the expiring contract and play of Josiah Deguara - Ben Sinnott from Kansas State IS THE EPITOME of this role and position. EPITOME.

Another thought for the TE room could be a late round big bruiser/blocker/6th lineman type role guy. The Minnesota kid Brevyn Spann-Ford comes to mind.

We do however have Sims who is progressing nicely and Tyler Davis is still out there and will for sure be cheap to retain and see if he could be a TE3 and ST guy for us.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Max Bredeson from Michigan looked nasty as a lead blocker for Michigan in the playoff game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Max Bredeson from Michigan looked nasty as a lead blocker for Michigan in the playoff game.

Bredeson is a guy that keeps stacking some solid performances down the stretch and you like the more you watch for sure!

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bredeson is a guy that keeps stacking some solid performances down the stretch and you like the more you watch for sure!
Tyni, can you find us 11 Tucker Krafts for the defense. Or maybe one each of a S CB ILB and DL.

Members online

Latest posts