Draft a QB?

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw a draft board today that has GB taking a QB in the 2nd rd. As long as Farve is coming back, would anyone worry about drafting a QB in this draft? Nall is a RFA this year; I wouldn't see too many teams making a run at him. I believe O'Sullivan has another year on his contract. If GB decided to let Nall go, there are some interesting QBs in FA they could make a run at which would give them a little more experience at the position. While Brees and Matt Hasselbeck, might be the best picks, they'd probably cost too much. I like Kelly Holcomb from Cleveland. He's had a lot of playing experience and has played at a high level. Other FA QBs include: Kordell Stewart, Charlie Batch, Tony Banks, Josh McCown, and Vinny Testaverde. GB has 3 picks in the top 50-60 picks depending how we and N.O. finish up and I couldn't see them spending them any where but on Def?

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slackerbacker said:
I like Kelly Holcomb from Cleveland. He's had a lot of playing experience and has played at a high level. Other FA QBs include: Kordell Stewart, Charlie Batch, Tony Banks, Josh McCown, and Vinny Testaverde.

another browns qb? no thanks. kordell? batch? banks? vinny? you're joking right? mccown could be ok, but i think nall is good. just never plays.

OP
OP
S

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone220 (ding) like it or not that's the QBs available in FA this season. Hasselbeck and Brees have played the most, but would be very expensive. Holcomb is the next one w/ the most experience and success excluding Vinny who is too old to consider. It's the same question that GB has to answer at a number of positions on this team: do you take your chances w/ an unknown (Nall) or acquire someone who has proven they can play in the NFL? Surely you don't want Pederson back too do you?? As long as Farve is coming back next year, I am good w/ Nall and the Scott. GB needs to concentrate on improving the Def.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait up SB - we have yet to see which QB's will be set free for CAP issues...
I mean, really, how many QB's have come to GB and gone away while Brett was leading the charge? Name them!

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok i'll give it a shot.

brunell, brooks, hassy, detmer, warner(only in camp)

gotta be forgetting someone.

and no, i don't want doug back but i do think nall has some skill. he tore up europe. although not the nfl, it counts for something.

Craig Nall

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't need to draft a QB that early, we have Craig Nall. I heard that Sherman announced that Nall is the Packers future quarterback, and I hope he goes by his word, because I think Nall will be a great player. Plus, this year's quarterback draft class is pretty weak, so we can wait a few years if we lose Nall or O'Sullivan.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Wait up SB - we have yet to see which QB's will be set free for CAP issues...
I mean, really, how many QB's have come to GB and gone away while Brett was leading the charge? Name them!

*Don Majkowski
Mike Tomczak
*Ty Detmer
Ken O'Brien
*Mark Brunell [traded for draft picks that netted William Henderson, Travis Jervey]
*Kurt Warner [cut after he refused to play in a scrimmage because he was intimidated by brett] http://lists.rollanet.org/pipermail/ram ... 20577.html
T.J. Rubley
Jim McMahon [1985 nuff said]
*Doug Pederson
*Steve Bono
*Rick Mirer
*Matt Hasselbeck
David Klingler
*Aaron Brooks
Danny Wuerffel
Henry Burris
Billy Joe Tolliver
Craig Nall
J.T. O'Sullivan

The * means they've started for a NFL team after leaving GB.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A look at this years division winners, and where they got their QBs. A high round pick for QB is the norm, with a few late round exceptions. I think at some point the Packers will have to use a high draft pick to replace Favre whenever he does finally decide to retire someday. I hope he sticks around awhile though.

Patriots

spartanpele

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft a QB? No. Don't bother. 2nd and 3rd tier QBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL...and most of the ones listed at the beginning of this thread are worth much of anything.

If Brett should announce his retirement...hope not..., then fine, go out and pick up another QB. The likes of Brees and Hasselbeck come to mind quickly.

But otherwise, I think Nall and Sullivan are fine as is, and both are probably a lot better then some of the ones mentioned before.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the end of this season, there is slated.... a huge competition in San Diego.
We all already know about the conflict with the Draft last Spring over Eli Manning and San Diego. Whether that was prompted by Archie Manning's dislike of Schottenheimer, or not..(whatever) ...remains to be seen. At any rate, Eli ended up with the Giants.

Now, Drew Brees' 2003 Season was very un-spectacular.. and before the 2004 Season took off, Drew asked to speak to the team. Since that time - we've seen an emergence, in San Diego, of another Dan Fouts type QB. The Chargers, this year, are something to contend with on all levels, especially Defense... and Special Teams are doing quite well this year, too.

The change in Drew Brees' play, out on the field, is nothing short of "phenom" status compared to last year... BUT... we all saw what went down in the Draft, last April. They took on the trade of Philip Rivers because of the Eli Manning stunt - him not wanting to play for San Diego... who would ever think they'd see such an event occur... I mean.. hey - the beaches, the babes, the climate.. what more could you ask for? ... the water along the beach is almost always warm, whereas in SanFran - you gotta wear those skin-diving suits up until July almost.

Philip Rivers was highly touted in the Draft - above Rothlisberger, in fact - and the Giants definitely wanted him in their Camp.. well, we all saw how that worked out.

So the deal becomes - "What happens to Drew Brees after the Season is over?"
Personally - I watched Drew Brees up close since I live only about an hour south of Lafayette, Indiana - Drew went to Purdue Univ. -- He made great strides in the game against the Colts this last weekend - coming home, so to speak, to play an NFL game in front of all of his family and friends had to have been awesome! He played real well, too!

Will they let Philip Rivers go? The Net worth for Drew Brees went sky-high this Season..
What does everyone think about Drew Brees being a Packer?
Would we be better off with Philip Rivers? (Maybe so...) I like both of these choices.

DO THEY (either of them) "want" to come to Green Bay? Good question!

[Thinking more of it - after posting this initially - ]
"Why would either of these two QB's not want to come to Green Bay and be mentored by Brett Favre?"
Up front, It would probably be better to let Brees stay in SD and have Rivers, untested in the NFL, come to GB for some in-depth QB-to-QB on-the-job training.... I like Brees, big time - but I also liked the stats, in College, for Philip Rivers!
Rivers... seemed to have the same moxy as Brett... Opinions?

OP
OP
S

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One, Rivers would cost anyone a high draft pick/salary for a guy who hasnt' proved he can play in the NFL. Secondly, I didn't like his 3/4 sidearm throwing motion.

spartanpele

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rivers is ok, but I like Brees better. Being from Wis, I saw him shred our Badgers for many, many passing yards. I think he would be a good fit with the Packer atmosphere/org. But as stated earlier...you only go after another QB if Brett retires...and we don't want that to happen for a while.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slackerbacker said:
One, Rivers would cost anyone a high draft pick/salary for a guy who hasnt' proved he can play in the NFL. Secondly, I didn't like his 3/4 sidearm throwing motion.
He might ... and then again, he might not.... the fact that he has sat on the bench all season speaks volumes for rusty nails...

Also - when Brett first started, he also had (still has) somewhat of a side-arm throwing motion... go back and watch the replay(s)...

Somehow, I think that the Chargers will focus on keeping Brees for at least another Season.. One thing, Drew is used to the Players he has around him right now... and blending in with our O-Line may not work.. whereas Rivers is a blank slate and letting Brett pull a Mike Holmgren on him would be a good shot at Favre replacing himself... IMHO

Bettie_Page

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have too many needs on the defensive side of the ball to draft a QB we are already giving up a conditional #6 in 2006 for the JT O'Sullivan deal so he is in the bag along with Brad Bedell from Miami for a choice also in 2006. I wouldn't worry about the offense until the 4th or 5th rounds and depending on what direction is intended for TE Bubba Franks and RB Najeh Davenport. We need a playmaker on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe combine one of our 2nd rounders with our 1st to move up and get one.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees is not going anywere.The chargers will put a franchise tage on him,they are about 20 million under the cap.The packers could not afford to sign him,they don't have the money to do.They need to improve the defense. JMO

Flak_Jacket

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nall is an heir apparent. In his few moments of playing he seemed to be very good. I say keep him here.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a contract year for Nall. What do you think it will cost to keep him HERE? Christ i could see the bears offensive coordinater drooling just watching this guy play. You can bet lovie and a lot of coaches are keepin a eye on Mr. Nall.

Members online

Latest posts