Done with the sports experts

Brian Purdy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defensive performance was taken away from many of " Sports Experts". Only Mike Golic and Steve Mariucci gave recognition.
Capers has to prove this was no fluke and get after the Falcons!
Seahawks offensive line was horrible, the Seahawks will bounce back with a win this weekend. This is what experts are saying. That does not take away from the defense's performance.
The Packers need to continue playing angry. Get after Ryan and shut down Falcons running game.
Colin Kowpie, Nfl Network complained about pass interference, ah Devante Adams was mugged most of the day.
The Legion of Boom plays dirty, look at all the cheap shots on you tube.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You quiet the critics by doing what you did against Seattle week after week. Our defense hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Exactly Pack. Truthfully, I don't think the national talking heads do their homework and just parrot what they've heard elsewhere

OP
OP
Brian Purdy

Brian Purdy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN, Undisputed, Mike and Mike, Bleacher Report all dis the Packers with " what's wrong with the Seahawks? Boo hoo hoo.
Legion of Boom is a bunch of cheap shot artists and Marty B must have watched some of this when he got after KJ Wright.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You quiet the critics by doing what you did against Seattle week after week. Our defense hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.
Agreed, the defense has been suspect for six years now. One game is not going to change people's perceptions of it. And in reality, the defense has to do more than show up for one game to prove it has turned around. I'm optimistic that it will do so.

Everyone always complains about the sports experts. I don't know why they get so irritated by them. They are paid to have an opinion, and give it. They're not Packer fans, they don't have to talk Green Bay up. In their minds, the story was that Seattle's OL was suspect, and in truth that was a favorable matchup for us.
What I found more annoying was that most "experts" were talking up Seattle as the NFC favorite before the game, with Green Bay in the #2 slot. Then we beat them, and suddenly the new favorite was who? Dallas. That's all right, they can overlook us. Maybe it will put that chip back on Rodgers' shoulder.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Agreed, the defense has been suspect for six years now. One game is not going to change people's perceptions of it. And in reality, the defense has to do more than show up for one game to prove it has turned around. I'm optimistic that it will do so.

Everyone always complains about the sports experts. I don't know why they get so irritated by them. They are paid to have an opinion, and give it. They're not Packer fans, they don't have to talk Green Bay up. In their minds, the story was that Seattle's OL was suspect, and in truth that was a favorable matchup for us.
What I found more annoying was that most "experts" were talking up Seattle as the NFC favorite before the game, with Green Bay in the #2 slot. Then we beat them, and suddenly the new favorite was who? Dallas. That's all right, they can overlook us. Maybe it will put that chip back on Rodgers' shoulder.
And I have absolutely no problem with the Packers flying under the radar. Just keep taking care of business.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's true, I don't care who says what about us. I don't listen to them anyway, nor care what they say. Good, bad, or otherwise really. I watch to form my own opinion :) Of course when they agree with me, they're spot on though. But that's a given. But seriously, what the national media or sports world is saying about my Packers doesn't really affect my opinion of them. I wouldn't care if they never mentioned them at all.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But seriously, what the national media or sports world is saying about my Packers doesn't really affect my opinion of them. I wouldn't care if they never mentioned them at all.
I like to listen to the sports shows , so to be honest, for entertainment purposes I like to hear the Packers being discussed. And they do get discussed a lot, or at least Aaron Rodgers gets discussed a lot. I'd rather hear them talk about the Packers than talk about the Cowboys for three hours. What they say about them I don't really care. I find that sometimes they make valid points and sometimes they don't. But I don't expect to always agree with them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listen to the local ones myself, because they talk about the only team I care about :) When the national stuff comes on, I stream music

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I listen to the local ones myself, because they talk about the only team I care about :) When the national stuff comes on, I stream music
I tend to watch the sports shows on TV (some of which are televised radio broadcasts), plus I don't live in Wisconsin so the local sports is less appealing to me. I do listen to some Packer podcasts, but I like to see what people who aren't fans of GB are saying also.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the problem I got when people complain about national pundits not being experts on the Packers.......

Most of us invest an insane amount of time following the Packers. Add up all the time you yourself spend on this team so that you can speak as knowledgeably on it as you do and times it by 32. And that's when your watching something like NFL network.

When watching other outlets, like ESPN and FOXSPORTS, times that number that you just came up with by at least 4 (NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL) and is it really suprising that they're not complete experts on every team?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's the problem I got when people complain about national pundits not being experts on the Packers.......

Most of us invest an insane amount of time following the Packers. Add up all the time you yourself spend on this team so that you can speak as knowledgeably on it as you do and times it by 32. And that's when your watching something like NFL network.

When watching other outlets, like ESPN and FOXSPORTS, times that number that you just came up with by at least 4 (NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL) and is it really suprising that they're not complete experts on every team?

What annoys me is when the beat writers say things that are just so obviously ignorant in regards to the Packers. The other day, Cohen and Silverstein were talking about Raji and nose tackles. Cohen, citing how much sub package we use, rhetorically asked the question "would they even draft a guy like Raji today?"

Well, they drafted a nose tackle in the first round less than 18 months ago, and they ran a lot of sub even when they took Raji... so, yes.

If your whole job is to cover one team, you should know enough about the team to be able to speak intelligently about them.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I thought it was funny when Stephen A Smith trolled those other guys at ESPN after our playoff win against Dallas by running in with the Aaron Rodgers jersey.
I watch some of the segments because I sometimes enjoy the banter, but whenever they talk about my favorite teams I tend to ignore it.

It's their job to troll/annoy you i.e. Skip Bayless/Cowherd. I do appreciate SAS's love of AR12 though :sneaky:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watch some of the segments because I sometimes enjoy the banter, but whenever they talk about my favorite teams I tend to ignore it.

It's their job to troll/annoy you i.e. Skip Bayless/Cowherd. I do appreciate SAS's love of AR12 though :sneaky:

Exactly, which is why I don't know why people try to lump these hacks/radio hosts into the so-called "experts" category. The experts are people on Curt Menefee's crew as well as the CBS crew like Boomer and Cowher. At least a lot of these people are former players or coaches who know the game and in general aren't usually too slanted. Only guy in that category I wouldn't really think of as an expert is Mike Ditka.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle's O-line has been a dumpster fire for years

I think the D is going to be substantially improved, especially the secondary

Atlanta will be a good test

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What annoys me is when the beat writers say things that are just so obviously ignorant in regards to the Packers. The other day, Cohen and Silverstein were talking about Raji and nose tackles. Cohen, citing how much sub package we use, rhetorically asked the question "would they even draft a guy like Raji today?"

Well, they drafted a nose tackle in the first round less than 18 months ago, and they ran a lot of sub even when they took Raji... so, yes.

If your whole job is to cover one team, you should know enough about the team to be able to speak intelligently about them.

True. I was talking more about on a national scale though

H

HardRightEdge

Exactly Pack. Truthfully, I don't think the national talking heads do their homework and just parrot what they've heard elsewhere
So true. It was kinda funny to hear Theisman say, during the Skins preseason game, that the Packers are one of the best screen teams in the NFL. When was the last time the Packers had an effective screen game? Ahman Green? H*ll, during Rodgers' first few years as a starter, his touch on those throws was just bad. And what was that pick against Seattle? Was that a middle screen? Theisman's not the only guy I've heard say this stuff in recent years. They ran one good one on Sunday where the linemen actually got out in front and blocked for something like an 8 yard gainer. That's about as good as it gets.

They also seem to suffer under the delusion that the Packers run a West Coast offense. Well, they do, but no very often. Mostly all that's left of it is the terminology. McCarthy wants to go up tempo which suggest more timing and combo short routes in the West Coast vein. However, Rodgers controls the game.

I watch zero mid-week cable shows, zero pre-game shows, zero half time shows, zero post game shows. I suppose fantasy football requires one do so; I am not so encumbered.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Totally agree with your analysis. We know more about the Packers than the national talking heads and I wouldn't expect it to be any different. I do expect the local beat writers to know more than us though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On shows like First Take and Undisputed, I think they're mostly interested in presented a lively debate. I often wonder how the morning meetings go, if they decide things like "You take this side, and I'll take that side". It's probably not coincidence that they have opposite opinions so often.

I actually like Colin Cowherd, I think he gets a bad rap here. There is a mention of controversy in his program description, so he probably does do some intentional trolling. But my main criticism against him is that he tends to be inconsistent. His opinions seem to change from day to day, but my opinions change sometimes too. Some have painted him as a Packer hater or a Rodgers hater, but I find that he will give us our due if it's merited. Like this week, he called us the best team in the NFC. That will likely change week to week, if not more often.

Bayless is a shameless Cowboy fan, Tom Brady supporter, and Rodgers hater, so he's easily the worst of the bunch. By several miles. I respect Tom Brady (I have little choice after five Super Bowl wins), but Bayless supports him to the point of taking credit away from Belichick, which I find absurd.