Dom Capers more focused on stopping receivers

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to know what games Capers thinks the run defense has been good. This article is a perfect example of Capers having accepted sub-standard play. In his mind, we're either going to give up 40 yard passes or we're going to give up 5-6 yards per carry. Why not hold them to 4 yards per carry, which is STILL good for the offense and take away the pass? I don't like what I'm hearing from our DC, and this has successfully reinforced my opinion that he needs to go sooner rather than later.

I don't know what you're talking about, the run defense was really good in a bunch of games.....in 2010.

In all seriousness I completely agree with you.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the Jet game we held Ivory and CJ2K in check all day. The only slip-up was the long read option run for almost 40. Even with that included, still under 4 YPC for the game. Against the Lions, Bush had a big 26 yarder. Bell got the heavier workload and got nothing all day. Overall 3 YPC.

I don't have a problem with claiming either of those to be a pretty good run D game. I'm more concerned with YPC than rushing yards. If they gained 125 yards on the ground, but you forced them to run it 40 times to get it, you've done your job. Problem is building consistency and avoiding these horrendous 6 YPC games.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares about the 6th best passing D. The running game ALWAYS sets up the passing game. Stop the run 1st, then worry about 3rd and 8. This is not flag football, Dom! Can't wait to hear more excuses. The D flat out Sucks.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is whether Minnesota's run game can win against our passing game. Since the NFL is a passing league, I'll take our pass game. But I think this game will be close until we score the dagger TD at the end. The defense will need to be rebuilt starting next year--coaches and players included.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What happened Sunday, while ugly in the stat department, was effective on the scoreboard. I am fine with focusing on the wr's more as they can put up points in a hurry. The run defense should still be serviceable though. If Guion didn't suck beyond sucking then it would help out with this issue. I don't even know what this guy does. He doesn't rush the passer, he doesn't take up blockers and he doesn't make tackles.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to know what games Capers thinks the run defense has been good. This article is a perfect example of Capers having accepted sub-standard play. In his mind, we're either going to give up 40 yard passes or we're going to give up 5-6 yards per carry. Why not hold them to 4 yards per carry, which is STILL good for the offense and take away the pass? I don't like what I'm hearing from our DC, and this has successfully reinforced my opinion that he needs to go sooner rather than later.

Games 2 and 3 had solid run defense.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why one or the other? Why not dictate terms and shutdown opponents running and passing? Seems the really good defenses often find a way.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
before tonight we were tied for 9th in passing yards giving up....(denver, Ariz, Seattle, Lions are also in top ten)

ok teams can run so why pass? so lets look closer to more detailed stats on the passing defense..

% completion, they are again at 9th best

Atts per game, 6th best...Bears, Lions, tied for 3rd

Avg yards per catch tied for 8th best....Cinncy, Ariz, Frisco, Seattle, Texans all ahead of us...Teams with good records

QB rating--tied for 6th best,,Cinncy is #1

If you toss out the atts per game--- which would be indicator on if teams run more....You have the rest of those stats which give more insight in how their def is vs the pass

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why one or the other? Why not dictate terms and shutdown opponents running and passing? Seems the really good defenses often find a way.

My theory is that he has certain type of players that fit well for one scheme and not the other..I.E. it didnt work vs Seattle as I think they were going to be a buzz saw no matter what..

Bears, passing game is their strength..Lions well..

So he picks his scheme for that week according to who they are playing..Could be off, but it does seem likely

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Games 2 and 3 had solid run defense.

They gave up 4.4 per tonight.. Yet it looked outstanding.. I am sure no one will complain.

Unlike the Bear game they had 5.7 we all saw how bad it looked, but the def did a good job holding them

But if we lost tonight, then for sure it would been issue

Members online

Latest posts