Does the thought of being 18-0 heading into the Super Bowl make you nervous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Be honest.

I think when many speak against about resting staters/losing a game they are really afraid of also entering the Super Bowl as heavy favorites at 18-0.

It is in many ways an us vs. them situation if you are an 18-0 squad.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
They no longer need to win 18 games to be undefeated at the SB, only 5. 5-0 is very doable. The last 4 of the 5 are at home. I really hope we get to find out. And I would be no more nervous than I was for the third Chicago game last year.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Many teams that lose the Super Bowl, don't give their opponent a chance, they look at them as if they already better than them. That was the problem with our 1997 squad. They totally over looked the Broncos as being able to beat them. I feel the same about the Colts in '09, and I'm even going to say the Steelers. In 2008, they only won because the 11 penalties keeping them alive, and we know the refs didn't help them last year.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
This may be one of the quietest runs to perfection I can remember......

Of course you know the saying though. In the playoffs you all technically start 0-0.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Many teams that lose the Super Bowl, don't give their opponent a chance, they look at them as if they already better than them. That was the problem with our 1997 squad. They totally over looked the Broncos as being able to beat them. I feel the same about the Colts in '09, and I'm even going to say the Steelers. In 2008, they only won because the 11 penalties keeping them alive, and we know the refs didn't help them last year.

I may have to agree with this. I thought the 09 Colts and fans overlooked the Saints. I may have been guilty myself but I was still fearful.Colts may have been 4 to 5 pt underdogs I don't remember. When the Freeney injury broke out I don't think the line changed much which suprised me considering how much the D is effected when he was out in 2007.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely not. If this team is 18-0 going into the Superbowl I will be thrilled as hell. First, this is a team which rises to the occasion. If they know history and legendary status is within reach, they will fight for it. Second, they have the example of the '07 Patriots to show them that it is a goal which isn't to be taken for granted. I think being 18-0 would actually make this team play with MORE urgency in the Superbowl.

D

Dan115

Holmgren Did not have his team ready to play.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
I know exactly why you made this thread. No it doesn't. Not one bit. It makes me more confident in fact.

I want the Packers to make history. I think it would be absolutely awesome. There is for some reason less hype around this squad than what the usual 13-0 teams have. I kind of like that. Just as long as we get credit at the end of the year.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether we're 18-0 or 13-6, I'm going to be nervous going into the Super Bowl. It doesn't matter what our record is going in, I'll be a nervous wreck. I'd rather be 18-0 going in for so many reasons.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's another good reason to be 18-0 going into the SB. When you're simply defending your championship, you're attempting to maintain the status quo, while the other team is trying to rise to a new level by beating the champ. If we are 18-0, we, too, will be trying to take it to a new level and achieving something no other team has done. We will be attempting to unseat the '72 Dolphins as the greatest team of all time. If we're we lose before then, we'll simply be another team trying to hold on to that which will eventually slip away at some point.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Shouldn't we be a bit thankful our team is 13-0? It seems like a demand that they just MUST go 16-0 in order for everyone to be happy.

What if the Chiefs show up and beat us? Would you forfeit the entire season and call it a failure if we don't go 16-0?

Or what if the Bears beat us? Or even the Lions, if McCarthy pulls a Billechek and risks his starters after everything is clinched?

What if we lost a game just by one point? Would everyone get grouchy and call the season a waste for losing ONE GAME?

I think everyone should be a little more appreciative that this team has made it this far, we are 13-0. As soon as we win a game, the 16-0 talk comes back, and it's gotten to the point where it's become a demand for this team. Even if we lose a game, I don't think it's going to be something to stress over at this point. One loss isn't going to hurt us. It's no longer "I"m happy we won, good game" it's "let's go 16-0!". We could still lose a game, but I really don't care. I'm not going to over look the Chiefs, cause we have a history of struggles against them, and no offense or not, the Bears are divisional, and that is the one defense that has shut Rodgers down in the past. We wouldn't be so hot to lose some players to those guys, cause unlike 3/4's of the defense in the league, the Bears are very physical.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bogart, what is your problem with perfection, exactly?

Fans are free to speculate all they want. Why do I hope they go 16-0? Because going 19-0 to win the Superbowl is a FAR greater achievement than going 18-1 to win the Superbowl. I, for one, do NOT fear greatness.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Bogart, what is your problem with perfection, exactly?

Fans are free to speculate all they want. Why do I hope they go 16-0? Because going 19-0 to win the Superbowl is a FAR greater achievement than going 18-1 to win the Superbowl. I, for one, do NOT fear greatness.

I love Bogie but I have been trying to figure this out for weeks too.

I also don't get guys like Dungy at times. I think if he was the coach of the Packers then Aaron would be done for the rest of the year and would be getting hourly back massages by Matt Flynn since he would claim he looked "tired."

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Bogie but I have been trying to figure this out for weeks too.

I also don't get guys like Dungy at times. I think if he was the coach of the Packers then Aaron would be done for the rest of the year and would be getting hourly back massages by Matt Flynn since he would claim he looked "tired."
granted that the packers are not my team (patriots are), but i can see where bogart and dungy are coming from.

What is worth more, going 16-0 and having valuable players become injured (rodgers/jennings etc etc). Or losing one right now, getting that loss out of the way and than winning the SB?

Sure 18-0 is nice, but how many times has it happened in history again?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think some people look back at the '07 Patriots and just think that's what happens when you go 16-0, which is complete nonsense. There are some key differences between this team and that one. For starters, that team was COCKY. This team isn't. The Packers have carried themselves instead with a quiet confidence and have approached every game as a job that simply needs to get done. We also have the example that they set not to take the SB for granted, so this team won't. One more thing. Rodgers hates it when people say he can't do something. He loves to prove them wrong and the whole team has taken on that persona. They will prevail and it wouldn't surprise me if they come close to doing it again next year.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What is worth more, going 16-0 and having valuable players become injured (rodgers/jennings etc etc). Or losing one right now, getting that loss out of the way and than winning the SB?

First you're operating on the false assumption that key players will be badly injured if we play to win. Injuries occur when you stop hitting the other guy and you let him do the hitting instead.

Second, losing a regular season game doesn't inoculate you against a playoff loss in any way. I think if you want to talk about a "wake up call" which I don't think we need anyway, then you can point to the close game against the Giants.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
granted that the packers are not my team (patriots are), but i can see where bogart and dungy are coming from.

You are a Pats fan so let me ask you this. Do you want the Packers to go for 19-0 this year and GO 19-0? ;)

And second, what does losing one now and "getting it out of the way" accomplish. How does that increase the chances of winning a Super Bowl? It makes no sense to me. None. It's like a few people think you can't have both. Just because the Pats blew 19-0 it's going to happen to the Packers in the playoffs too?

I just do not understand the mentality of losing one to get it done with. The Packers have not lost a real game since they played in NE last year and barely lost without Rodgers. This is one amazing/historical streak they have going on and they have had injuries all the freaking time. Why can't it continue? Why are injuries more likely to happen now then say......week 2?

I mean the Packers did not really need that week 2 win in Carolina. Should have rested key player at times and saved Nick Collins!

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I think some people look back at the '07 Patriots and just think that's what happens when you go 16-0, which is complete nonsense. There are some key differences between this team and that one. For starters, that team was COCKY. This team isn't. The Packers have carried themselves instead with a quiet confidence and have approached every game as a job that simply needs to get done. We also have the example that they set not to take the SB for granted, so this team won't. One more thing. Rodgers hates it when people say he can't do something. He loves to prove them wrong and the whole team has taken on that persona. They will prevail and it wouldn't surprise me if they come close to doing it again next year.

Spygate.

Karma.

New York opponent.

Come on that was the PERFECT storm. I even won money off it!!!

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Michael Irvin said it very well. The Packers have a chance to go for something that's never been done before and that's a major motivation. Irvin even said that he'd give up his 3 SB rings for 1 perfect season because that's something that would be remembered for a long time to come. Go for 16-0, and then go for the SB victory. The jinx factor doesn't bother me at all. The closer the Packers get to "perfection" the more exciting it gets.

Go for it and don't hold back.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Packers are winners. Does not seem to matter who is hurt, which unit sucks it up at times. They just win games. They are in the habit of winning games and have been since the end of last year. It's a wonderful habit to have. Losing fairly is one thing but to "try and get a loss out of the way" or pull healthy guys and lose would be detrimental IMO. It's like going full speed on a high way and pressing on the break hard. Or running on a treadmill at 10 and then pressing stop.

I also see a few often seem weary of a few teams in the NFC. It's another thing I don't get, concerns are fine at times. But, have faith. This team will likely overcome all your fears more then they are likely to crush your hearts.

I really do believe this Packers team CAN go 19-0 and might do it. In fact, I think they will. I'll say it out loud. The Packers will go 19-0. Someday someone is going to do it and it may as well be this one.

I can't wait! I want to see a team I love go 19-0 so badly!!!! These guys deserve it.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score

I think this is the wrong question. It's not a comparison of injuries to wins, it is a matter of a team coming together at the right time and establishing momentum. I think last year proves that we can overcome injuries, but I personally, and yes it is just my opinion, but I personally think a healthy team with no momentum, or the wrong momentum (not having your starters playing and winning) is a recipe for failure and cannot be overcome. No injuries and no positive momentum is a loser compared to injuries and a hot winning steak (e.g. momentum).
Also, to play them does not necessarily mean injuries and resting does not guarantee health past the one game they rest.

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will be plenty of time to rest key players in the next 3 games, just like in the second half yesterday. Do it after you blow the doors off, not before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts