Does Green Bay need a Linebacker

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a big need for Green Bay, but if Pat Angerer from Iowa falls to a later round I think Green Bay take him. He doesn't have great size at 6'1 235 lbs, but he has good speed, runs to the ball, and is exceptional is the passing defense game. Not a good passrusher, but could be a could pick up for special teams or middle linebacker in the future.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NpRbgzYTY0"]YouTube - Iowa Hawkeye Football - Pat Angerer Tribute[/ame]

2008 - 107 tckls, 6.5 tfl, 5 ints
2009 - 145 tckls, 5.0 tfl, 1 ints, 2 FF (UPDATED STATS - 10 tackles and 1.0 tfl against G-Tech)

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be great if Eric Norwood or Daryl Washington fell to us in the 3rd round. They'll probably go in the 2nd round or early 3rd. Seemed like they can be big stars.

OP
OP
cyoung

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those guys would be good outside backers, to give a good passrush on the quarterback. Angerer would be a better middle linebackers as A.J. Hawk seems less productive and Nick Barnett has had injury troubles last year (plus he'll need a predecessor)

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh ILB. Yeah, he could be good with us. I just have a bad association with inside linebacker and Iowa with how Abduhl Hodge turned out. I know Hodge had injury issues and all that, but I'm still unsure about that combination.

A-Rod_is_God

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really see the need for another linebacker. Once kampman gets healthy, we should be good to go in that department

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's talking about Middle Linebacker. Did you even read anything in this thread? Plus, how is anyone suppose to be Kampman won't be like he was in the 8 or so games he did play with us where he was very mediocre?(and that's being generous).

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard good things about him. Expected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round thus far. That Von Miller guy from Texas A&M looks like a beast too.

Todd McShay has him as a 1st rounder and I saw him play in person twice this year. He would be a great get in the late 1st rd.

OP
OP
cyoung

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Von Miller would be a great pick up in the situation that Aaron Kampman gets trades, however I hope he comes back and racks up 12+ sacks. Von Miller would be a nice pickup for a pass rusher though. I still make a case for Pat Angerer as he has a great motor and is always around the ball carrier, he also had good pass coverage skills.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Von Miller would be a great pick up in the situation that Aaron Kampman gets trades, however I hope he comes back and racks up 12+ sacks. Von Miller would be a nice pickup for a pass rusher though. I still make a case for Pat Angerer as he has a great motor and is always around the ball carrier, he also had good pass coverage skills.

Pat Angerer would certainly be a great acquistion but I think the Packers are stacked at Inside LB. We have Barnett, Hawk, Bishop and we gave Chillar a big contract so I doubt this is a position where TT wants to draft. Look for us to get another outside LB though.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What about trading Hawk for a middle-rounder or two late-rounders? After all, he does not fit this defense very well, and with Clay opening gaps on the outside, We need ILB's good at rushing and zone coverage... and Hawk is not really good at anything.

CosmicRocker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into specific people, just an observation based on the original question.

As I was driving home from the game last night, I was listening to Sporting News Radio. They were talking about how little the LBs were mentioned, outside of Clay Matthews.

I wonder if it is not so much the personnel, but the schemes. I know they have played well the 2nd half of the season, but yesterday, there was just too much room between the LBs and the DBs. The middle was just wide open, all game long.

Maybe CBs would be a higher priority than Linebackers. Although, if good ones are there in the later rounds, by all means.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about trading Hawk for a middle-rounder or two late-rounders? After all, he does not fit this defense very well, and with Clay opening gaps on the outside, We need ILB's good at rushing and zone coverage... and Hawk is not really good at anything.

LOL, a man after my own heart. Couldn't have said that better myself. Any athletic tightend gives our middle fits. They can't run with anyone! Barnett and Hawk miss tackles like it is their job. Hawk takes terrible angles to the ball and usually is just an empty jersey on the field.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, a man after my own heart. Couldn't have said that better myself. Any athletic tightend gives our middle fits. They can't run with anyone! Barnett and Hawk miss tackles like it is their job. Hawk takes terrible angles to the ball and usually is just an empty jersey on the field.

I'm was really high on AJ Hawk when we drafted him. He's certainly not a bust, but it's hard not to be a dissapointed with his play the last 2 seasons. His ability to cover guys in space is pretty awful. In a 3-4, you NEED linebackers that can cover. I'm not ready to give up on him quite yet, but if I were TT I'd start working on a plan B. Hopefully, he picks it up next year.

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you think of a OLB in the first round now? Personally, I just have no idea. I just read an article 'bout the pittsburgh-defense in the last decade and how they always have had terrific OLB duos, which made their secondary as well as their whole defense amazingly effective. So it certainly wouldn't be a mistake to get a Jerry Hughes kind of guy and complement CM3. But here's the thing:
Can we really afford to go after a OLB "just" to complement Matthews in the first, with:
1.) Brad Jones, who was a 7th-round draft pick last year, and at least looked promising in some games.
2.) an absolute need at OT.(Okay, it absolutely depends on which tackles will still be on the board at #23)
3.) the starting corners as of kickoff 2009, are 33 and 35, with the latter health progress yet to be seen. And after your third corner, who is pretty solid, there is nothing but uncertainty and injury concers (and Jarrett Bush)

to make it even harder: my guess is the more interesting OTs (including Bulaga, Campbell, Okung, Davis and maybe even Williams) and of course Joe Haden will be of the board at #23, which leaves tacklewise with Brown, who is kind of a reach at our position.
any ideas? I am just thinkin' and thinkin' but without any results yet.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you think of a OLB in the first round now? Personally, I just have no idea. I just read an article 'bout the pittsburgh-defense in the last decade and how they always have had terrific OLB duos, which made their secondary as well as their whole defense amazingly effective. So it certainly wouldn't be a mistake to get a Jerry Hughes kind of guy and complement CM3. But here's the thing:
Can we really afford to go after a OLB "just" to complement Matthews in the first, with:
1.) Brad Jones, who was a 7th-round draft pick last year, and at least looked promising in some games.
2.) an absolute need at OT.(Okay, it absolutely depends on which tackles will still be on the board at #23)
3.) the starting corners as of kickoff 2009, are 33 and 35, with the latter health progress yet to be seen. And after your third corner, who is pretty solid, there is nothing but uncertainty and injury concers (and Jarrett Bush)

to make it even harder: my guess is the more interesting OTs (including Bulaga, Campbell, Okung, Davis and maybe even Williams) and of course Joe Haden will be of the board at #23, which leaves tacklewise with Brown, who is kind of a reach at our position.
any ideas? I am just thinkin' and thinkin' but without any results yet.

I just became a big fan of Charles Brown recently and would admire TT for picking him at 23. But you're absolutely right in thinking that yes it can be a reach considering that it might be too early to get him. However you can't also risk the expense of trading down because I hear the Cowboys and Colts are also in the market for an OT and they would absolutely love the idea of getting Brown. A lot of Packers analysts and enthusiasts want us to trade down and that is not such a bad thing. It's just matters on who and what we trade down for. My suggestion would be to trade that first round pick to the Buccs. They have 2 more second round picks that I would love for us to snag and since they're rebuilding they would love to compile a set of 1st round talent. Brown may fall to us in pick #3 of the second round which is where I could possibly see us getting him along with other players in the second round who are extremely talented.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just became a big fan of Charles Brown recently and would admire TT for picking him at 23. But you're absolutely right in thinking that yes it can be a reach considering that it might be too early to get him. However you can't also risk the expense of trading down because I hear the Cowboys and Colts are also in the market for an OT and they would absolutely love the idea of getting Brown. A lot of Packers analysts and enthusiasts want us to trade down and that is not such a bad thing. It's just matters on who and what we trade down for. My suggestion would be to trade that first round pick to the Buccs. They have 2 more second round picks that I would love for us to snag and since they're rebuilding they would love to compile a set of 1st round talent. Brown may fall to us in pick #3 of the second round which is where I could possibly see us getting him along with other players in the second round who are extremely talented.

A trade down is a very likely posibility seeing has how TT just loves to stockpile draft picks. But in any event, last year was the first time TT actually drafted based on need, every other year its been best player available and I could see that again this year, regardless of position. Thats just how TT rolls.

Members online

Latest posts