Do you think Stafford could have won the SB....

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the defense needed fixing, but there was still room to draft, trade, sign FA receivers. I truly think that the reason it didn't seem necessary to TT or Gute, was that Rodgers usually made due with what he had.
I've been giving the Packers front office the benefit of the doubt that with today's salary cap, teams can't have it all. Especially teams that are paying a significant amount of money to their star quarterback. But if we can have better receivers (or better anything else for that matter), my answer is yes please.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has been 11 years since Aaron won that ring. There was a 10 year gap when Brady went without a ring. I remember a lot of folks called Peyton Manning a choker for 9 years before he road the coattails of Denver's D in 2015 to victory in SB 50. Just because Rodgers hasn't won one in a few years doesn't necessarily mean he won't in the future.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is wrong with Tom Clements?
Seems like the majority are blaming ST for losing the 9ers PO game and scapegoating the coach.
When instead we could be looking at the offense that did not score a single point in the second half.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has been 11 years since Aaron won that ring. There was a 10 year gap when Brady went without a ring. I remember a lot of folks called Peyton Manning a choker for 9 years before he road the coattails of Denver's D in 2015 to victory in SB 50. Just because Rodgers hasn't won one in a few years doesn't necessarily mean he won't in the future.
Out of those examples Rodgers is the one who has the longest gap.
I dunno man.
My faith is at the point where I will record the PO game and then watch if they win.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like the majority are blaming ST for losing the 9ers PO game and scapegoating the coach.
When instead we could be looking at the offense that did not score a single point in the second half.
I can't agree with the "instead" part. The ST definitely needed addressed. But the offense also needs looked at. They tore down the field on the first drive, then disappeared.

I listened to a podcast and people were saying they were SURE the Packers were going to win that game going into it. I expected a win, but I was not certain about it because of Rodgers record against SF in the playoffs.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't agree with the "instead" part. The ST definitely needed addressed. But the offense also needs looked at. They tore down the field on the first drive, then disappeared.

I listened to a podcast and people were saying they were SURE the Packers were going to win that game going into it. I expected a win, but I was not certain about it because of Rodgers record against SF in the playoffs.
That is what got my hopes up.

I tried, really tried and thought I could put my emotions aside and be neutral but I cannot help but get excited thinking we are gong to win when we look good forgetting past PO games that get deflated.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is what got my hopes up.

I tried, really tried and thought I could put my emotions aside and be neutral but I cannot help but get excited thinking we are gong to win when we look good forgetting past PO games that get deflated.
I feel like somehow we must have set some sort of record for playoff futility. Even if it's most playoff losses over a 30 year period with a HOF quarterback, or something like that.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like somehow we must have set some sort of record for playoff futility. Even if it's most playoff losses over a 30 year period with a HOF quarterback, or something like that.
Yeah, I was feeling like that too.
Then I realized that the 9ers have also not been doing so well.
In a way you could even make the case that they are worse off than us in that their last SB win was before ours with Brett and the last two SBs they have been to they have lost as well as so many PO losses even after beating us.
And look at the Bengals.
0-3 in Super Bowls.
Same type of thing of only losses for the Bills and Vikes.

Other teams that come close or just as bad could include:
Cowboys
Seahawks
Steelers
Chiefs

At least we are not Browns or Bears fans!
LOL

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other teams that come close or just as bad could include:
Cowboys
Seahawks
Steelers
Chiefs
We've been quite successful obviously, especially when compared to the other teams in our division, to name some. I was talking about playoff futility specifically. Our win percentage probably isn't too bad. I'm guessing probably somewhere around .500 if you exclude the Lombardi years. But how many teams have gotten into the playoffs, has had as many chances as we have, without it paying off? I'm guessing not many.

I realize that's an odd way of talking about failure, when I'm guessing most teams would change places with us in a heartbeat, but it carries its own special brand of frustration.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has set several of these records. Just a couple from a quick search:

Most playoff losses to one team: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-in-playoffs-four-times-to-a-single-opponent/

Most consecutive playoff games without reaching a Super Bowl:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

At this point I don't think Rodgers will reach the Super Bowl with any team. Human nature is what it is, and his habits won't change the older he gets. He'll keep throwing the ball to his favorite WR who's double covered with the game on the line.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...if he had stayed in *Groan* run down crummy Detroit?

Sad team in a sad city.
Bart Starr wasn't even starting on the lowly Packers when Lombardi came to town. There was a lot of unrealized talent on the Packers (thanks Jack Vainisi!), including 17th round draft pick Bart Starr. The right coach changed everything.

Time was not on Stafford's side, but had the modern Lombardi walked into Detroit in 2021 then yes, I think that he could have won a SB. I still wouldn't bet my hard-earned money on it though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Most playoff losses to one team: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-in-playoffs-four-times-to-a-single-opponent/
Disappointing stuff. In fact, if Rodgers retires or gets traded, that's probably he key word for the last 30 years: disappointing. Which may not be fair, since there are two Super Bowl wins in there after all. It just seems like there should have been a few more. Especially living in the Tom Brady era.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disappointing stuff. In fact, if Rodgers retires or gets traded, that's probably he key word for the last 30 years: disappointing. Which may not be fair, since there are two Super Bowl wins in there after all. It just seems like there should have been a few more. Especially living in the Tom Brady era.
Yeah, how can we have what is at first good luck that then turns into bad luck?
With two SB winning HOF QBs in a row who win those big games early only to perhaps look overrated to fans who may or may not be rooting for the Pack.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

At this point I don't think Rodgers will reach the Super Bowl with any team. Human nature is what it is, and his habits won't change the older he gets. He'll keep throwing the ball to his favorite WR who's double covered with the game on the line.
I am starting to feel that way too.
We bring in a new QB and the Packers prob. won't make the playoffs.
Well, it's not like we were going to win them anyway with Rodgers!

I checked out your posted link with the still shots of open receivers.
Well done and I appreciated that.
Not that I like seeing our team fail.
Just that it does seal up any argument for not throwing to those open receivers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sometimes when I read posts, I wonder if I just came out of a 10 year deep sleep and missed 10 straight Packer losing seasons. I can only imagine the therapy that Lions fans need each year.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I checked out your posted link with the still shots of open receivers.
Those guys aren't just open, they're wide open. Of course, we don't know the play and what Rodger's progression of reads are. Still, it looks bad.

Again, expectations. The Gory Years didn't bother me all that much, as the bar was so much lower.
I hated the Gory years. I would much rather be in this situation, where we make the playoffs with high expectations but can't seem to meet them. It's a special kind of pain, but I still prefer it. One of the things that I hated about the Gory years was that we were never even in the conversation.

It's like the old saying "Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". Right now it's like we're getting the big date with the girl, but we're blowing it. Still better than having her turn you down outright, and not even be considered.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Those guys aren't just open, they're wide open. Of course, we don't know the play and what Rodger's progression of reads are. Still, it looks bad.
All but the first picture shows open receivers that are well short of the first down marker, as well as a defender close enough, that even if Rodgers throws that player the ball and they catch it, it probably doesn't result in a first down.

It only looks bad if you assume that in that split second of the photo being taken, that was THE only option for Rodgers. Also, as you allude to, what was down and distance? What actually happened on the play?

Take a birds eye view of every single play during the game, I bet on most of those plays, you will find a "why didn't he do this" situation. Now if only the QB had that same birds eye view and the time to slow it down frame by frame. You might have a FHOF QB on your hands if he could do that.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hated the Gory years. I would much rather be in this situation, where we make the playoffs with high expectations but can't seem to meet them. It's a special kind of pain, but I still prefer it. One of the things that I hated about the Gory years was that we were never even in the conversation.

It's like the old saying "Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". Right now it's like we're getting the big date with the girl, but we're blowing it. Still better than having her turn you down outright, and not even be considered.
Funny, I was already thinking to make roughly the same comparison, before I got to your dating paragraph. However, maybe it's part of the Half Empty mantra, or losing is worse than not trying, or something, but I was going to say it's like asking for the date and getting shot down. :)

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, we don't know what A-Rod saw since we did not get it from his perspective.
Either other players are blocking his view or he has such tunnel vision that he is only focusing on getting the ball to Adams.
It is still better to see that than nothing at all.
The best camera view we have is that one on cables above the field but they rarely show the replays from that.
Now they have cameras in the end zone pylons and the first down marker.
Kinda surprised they don't have one in the QB helmet yet.

Yeah, it's kinda like getting the hottest girl to be your prom date but you don't even get to first base!
The only difference is that you can lie to your friends to brag how far you went with her when you left to take her home but here everyone can see what happens.
LOL

Reaction score
Funny, I was already thinking to make roughly the same comparison, before I got to your dating paragraph. However, maybe it's part of the Half Empty mantra, or losing is worse than not trying, or something, but I was going to say it's like asking for the date and getting shot down. :)
I was thinking more along the lines of having the super hot date..
and not going all the way :laugh:

Members online

Latest posts