Do you think Stafford could have won the SB....

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...if he had stayed in *Groan* run down crummy Detroit?

Even if we didn't have Rodgers, I say no since he never got there when he was with the Lions.

They have had three top players that I know of.
Stafford, Megatron and Sanders.
And they still can't get it done.

Sad team in a sad city.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would he have? He's the same old stafford. He didn't exactly have a great game. I know everyone will be slobbering him because the lovable loser from Detroit won or something, but he threw a pick in the endzone, threw way too far in front of another on the first or 2nd play after Cincy takes the lead for another and had a DB instead of a LB'er been on that guy near the goaline at the end, it was so far behind him a more athletic defender can turn his shoulders and make the pick instead of reach over and knock it down. I suppose the refs still could have give him more chances though. Seemed inevitable there at the end.

So no, he wouldn't have. They had some very talented teams in Detroit some years and still sucked.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He shouldn't have won this one. When the officials have ignored minor contact downfield for the ENTIRE game and then make up a fictional holding call on the most crucial play of the game, you were helped, especially when there was an obvious false start on the entire offensive line on that same play!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody can win in the Detroit Lions culture that extends from the top down.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Originally, I was really happy that Stafford won a SB, because no way was he ever going to do that in Detroit. He isn't a great QB, but he is definitely better than his W-L record.

The Rams parade kind of tainted my view of Stafford and him being on a SB winner. He was no doubt hammered, but he showed absolutely no care for others, with his reaction to the photographer falling off the stage. It was nice of him, his wife and the Rams to pick up hospital bills of the photographer, who broke her spine, but I won't ever forget that image of him turning his back on her immediately after her fall.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously Stafford would have never won a Super Bowl in Detroit. But it does bring up the question why hasn't Rodgers won more in GB (dead horse or not)?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Obviously Stafford would have never won a Super Bowl in Detroit. But it does bring up the question why hasn't Rodgers won more in GB (dead horse or not)?
Rodgers has been a part of a very successful team. I don't think anyone would debate that success VS Stafford's. Winning a SB takes a lot of things to happen, some luck, a play here or there and not getting beat by what amounts to playing 3-4 other really good teams. Rodgers AND the Packers have come really close to being in and possibly winning other SB's, but the stars didn't align. Football is a team sport and while some don't want to give Rodgers a lot of credit for 13 win seasons, they will be the first to say "Rodgers failed again, no Superbowl". Without rehashing all the close but no cigar seasons, I can for sure tell you it wasn't Rodgers that lost us some important playoff games.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without rehashing all the close but no cigar seasons, I can for sure tell you it wasn't Rodgers that lost us some important playoff games.
While I don't think Rodgers is the most clutch HOF QB I've ever seen, I was actually drawing a parallel more between us and Detroit. Specifically, we haven't been able to put the right team behind Rodgers to get back to the Super Bowl. The ST unit this year, for instance. And for many years, the failure to field a good defense. Obviously Detroit does failure on a whole other scale than we do, but I was thinking of our failure on an organizational level (as you say, our team has been pretty successful).

Which is not to say Rodgers couldn't have played better here and there. There are times when it would have been nice if he had put the team on his back and carried us to victory, but as you note football is a team game. ST and key injuries killed us off this year IMO.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Pleased for Stafford personally, but another case of buying a ring without building a legacy team. I felt sorry for the Bengals young QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I don't think Rodgers is the most clutch HOF QB I've ever seen, I was actually drawing a parallel more between us and Detroit. Specifically, we haven't been able to put the right team behind Rodgers to get back to the Super Bowl. The ST unit this year, for instance. And for many years, the failure to field a good defense. Obviously Detroit does failure on a whole other scale than we do, but I was thinking of our failure on an organizational level (as you say, our team has been pretty successful).
Yeah, see I just don't see any parallels between the Packers and the Lions. It would be like comparing a Donkey to a thoroughbred and saying "neither of them have won the Kentucky Derby." Well yes, they both have 4 legs and are from the Equidae family but beyond that, they are not the same. One of them has at least been in the hunt to win it for many races, meanwhile, the other doesn't ever get past the stall door.

Now if you want to compare Rodgers and the Packers to Brady and the Pats. That is more of a fair comparison. Both organizations have been very successful, but only one has won numerous SB's in the last 20 years. Did the Pats win them all because of Brady and did the Packers only win one due to Rodgers not being clutch? I don't really think so. I would say the Pats success stems from Belichick knowing how to build and coach solid teams, as well as TB. The Packers, despite having 2 FHOF QB's in the last 20 years, just couldn't figure out a way to put all the pieces together consistently enough, to win it all a number of times.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Because he never had a full team around him after that one time. Given the choice between Brady and Rodgers on the same team, I'd take Rodgers every time. I think he is the better QB of the two.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he never had a full team around him after that one time. Given the choice between Brady and Rodgers on the same team, I'd take Rodgers every time. I think he is the better QB of the two.
I agree, with the caveat that Brady is more clutch and a better leader. Plus he obviously has a contract somewhere showing that he sold his soul to the devil.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now he has the same number of rings Aaron has and he got it before Aaron got a second one.
That doesn't seem right to me even though our dude has blown tons of chances at getting his second.
He really does have yet to show that he wants it more when it comes to crunch time.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers is looking at his QB rating.

Make the safe throw keep the numbers high.

& if that means misses an open guy then so what?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Rodgers is looking at his QB rating.

Make the safe throw keep the numbers high.

& if that means misses an open guy then so what?
I think Rodgers rightfully has more confidence in Davante Adams. If he had been given better targets, he would spread it around, much like he did when he actually had a great WR and TE room.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Valid point but I still think he plays it safe at times. Favre on the other hand was a lot of the time too gung ho. Maybe some of Rodgers accuracy with Favre's gunslinging would be perfect?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There is a reason, besides friendship, that Rodgers wanted Cobb back. There is a reason, he didn't want Jordy to leave. He wanted targets that he had confidence in. Yes, Cobb probably didn't have the year that the he, Rodgers, the Packers or us fans wanted out of him, but it was Rodgers wanting another security blanket.

Many people point to drafting Love as a big mistake, I would say the bigger mistake was started by TT after he drafted Adams in 2014 and continued by Gute and that was not giving #12 enough offensive weapons that he could rely on.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Valid point but I still think he plays it safe at times. Favre on the other hand was a lot of the time too gung ho. Maybe some of Rodgers accuracy with Favre's gunslinging would be perfect?
Maybe, hard to say without seeing it happen. If Rodgers threw more picks though, he probably wouldn't be rated as highly as he is. Unless he had more rings perhaps, which could be a possibility if he took more risks at key times. Maybe.

I would say the bigger mistake was started by TT after he drafted Adams in 2014 and continued by Gute and that was not giving #12 enough offensive weapons that he could rely on.
I can't blame them for continuing to try to fix the defense though. Conventional wisdom had been that was what was holding us back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can't blame them for continuing to try to fix the defense though. Conventional wisdom had been that was what was holding us back.
Yes, the defense needed fixing, but there was still room to draft, trade, sign FA receivers. I truly think that the reason it didn't seem necessary to TT or Gute, was that Rodgers usually made due with what he had. However, you get into the playoffs, against better teams and all of your weaknesses are magnified. The game against the 49'ers, Aaron Jones a RB and Davante accounted for all but 6 yards of the 225 yards that Rodgers had through the air. Lazard had the 1 catch for 6 yards. Granted, the weather had something to do with it, by Jones and Adams seemed to be able to get open.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a thread where fans are going on and on about firing the ST coach.
Perhaps we should also be thinking of getting a new QB coach as well or instead of?

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had household name leaders on D the last two times we won the SB. Reggie and Clay.
Perhaps that is what we need and what it takes.
Are any Watt bros available?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There is a thread where fans are going on and on about firing the ST coach.
Perhaps we should also be thinking of getting a new QB coach as well or instead of?
Ummm....about 5 days ago the Packers hired Tom Clements out of retirement to once again be the Packers QB coach.

Luke Getsy, the old QB coach left to become the Bears OC.

Latest posts