Do we play our starters next week?

Play the starters next week?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I heard Pete Dougherty say something today that did make a lot of sense. The Packers are all preparing this week like it is a "normal" game on Sunday. Going through film study, practice, scouting, etc as they always do. This keeps them sharp mentally and physically. So whether a player plays the whole game or just a few snaps, they haven't taken the week off.

I am guessing that they will get some R & R next week, but not too much. This team seems pretty focused, as well as not over confident.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers knows, now, how hard it is to win superbowl. been in Championship games & playoffs & never made it back & a player of Rogers ability should have more than 1 ring.

D

Deleted member 6794

Play Rodgers for 1 series, running plays only, and starters 1st qtr no more than 1st 1/2 Detroit will be playing like this is a must win game and they will come hard, so no need to take chances.

It doesn't make any sense to have Rodgers play a series just to hand off the ball.

after layoffs this long, they do need a tune up. Rodgers played like **** against Carolina a few years ago.

That was a different story with Rodgers coming off missing seven games with a broken collarbone though.
treat it as preseason game. Play starters for a few snaps & see how it goes.

If the Packers treat it like a preseason game they won't be able to dress enough players to play the game ;)

Same thing with Strahan's sack record, Manning's passing yards record, etc.

T.J. Watt might break Strahan's record tomorrow.

The stats are showing 50:50 ratio on home team winning over last two seasons. No massive home field advantage. Having said that if a warm weather team comes to Lambeau in January & weather is as it should be we will have a huge advantage. Didn't John Madden call the cold proper football weather?

The Packers are 16-2 including the playoffs at Lambeau over the past two seasons though. That's definitely a huge advantage.

The 2007 Giants (also a SB winning team) were also a good team that beat us at home, but it was MUCH closer and in the NFCCG. But I don't believe we rested any starters in that season

While Favre started the last regular season game in 2007 Craig Nall replaced him during it. In addition Ryan Grant didn't get the majority of carries and Driver and Jennings didn't receive any targets.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It doesn't make any sense to have Rodgers play a series just to hand off the ball.
That is where my head is at too. If the rationale for playing starters is to "keep them sharp", than deviating from the way that they normally play seems more like a symbolic gesture of being on the field. I do agree that treating this like a "normal" regular season game all week at practice is a good thing and that alone would help towards keeping players heads in the game. But just going through the motions and trying to play "safely" for a series or a quarter/half, under the guise of "keeping them sharp", just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I just hope they make it through the Lions game without any major injuries. If a key starter happens to get injured, there is and should be lots of second guessing putting starters on the field, for a meaningless game, 2 weeks before the Packers play sudden death playoff football.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should have been a much closer game. Take away the halftime hail mary, and it's only 30-20. Then there was the would-be touchdown pass to Jennings early in the second half that went right thru his hands in the end zone. That was definitely rust, and should have been caught. That would have made the final score 30-27. Of course, a different sequence of events could have resulted and maybe we win that game.

I know what you are saying but this is how I play this game. You took away two plays that went against the Packers now I get to take away two plays that went against the Giants. I'm not going to go back through the game to look for them but I think you get my point. We might lose by the same score.

If we are advocating the starters play a half to prevent rust wouldn't the Jennings play just be a drop because he had the whole first half to knock the rust off.

I'm just busting your chops a bit playing devil's advocate but in this case, since they already have a bye, I think resting them is even less of a big deal. I don't know that three weeks off would really make that much more of a difference than two.

IMO its the practice and the routine that's more important than the actual reps they get playing in the game so like Captain says if they are going to play they might as well play like they would normally play. To put Rodgers in for one series just to hand off would be pointless. I know that was Melvin who said that and not you.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope they make it through the Lions game without any major injuries. If a key starter happens to get injured, there is and should be lots of second guessing putting starters on the field, for a meaningless game, 2 weeks before the Packers play sudden death playoff football.
Believe me there will be a ton of 2nd guessing. Mostly by the fans and the media using an injury as proof that their opinion is right. Every one of them will use the word meaningless in their rant as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Believe me there will be a ton of 2nd guessing. Mostly by the fans and the media using an injury as proof that their opinion is right. Every one of them will use the word meaningless in their rant as well.
If the Packers go on to win the Super Bowl, the "other side" of the discussion will get to say "See, I told you so. Sit those starters in Detroit and this doesn't happen."

Like I said after the Packers locked up the #1 Seed, if the Players want to play, then let them. I just don't see how a couple of series of Rodgers playing it safe keeps him sharp for a game being played 2 weeks later.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers go on to win the Super Bowl, the "other side" of the discussion will get to say "See, I told you so. Sit those starters in Detroit and this doesn't happen."

Like I said after the Packers locked up the #1 Seed, if the Players want to play, then let them. I just don't see how a couple of series of Rodgers playing it safe keeps him sharp for a game being played 2 weeks later.
True but they will be idiots without an argument since you can't prove a negative.

You guys will have a legitimate argument.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True but they will be idiots without an argument since you can't prove a negative.

You guys will have a legitimate argument.
I'm totally fine being wrong and tomorrow there are no injuries to starters and they look like a well greased machine on offense and defense that does their job for the Lions game and 3 more after it.

D

Deleted member 6794

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that there are several posters making contradicting statements by advocating for the Packers to play their starters against the Lions for them not to be rusty in the playoffs yet expecting Bakhtiari, Alexander and others to have an immediate impact coming back from injuries.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that there are several posters making contradicting statements by advocating for the Packers to play their starters against the Lions for them not to be rusty in the playoffs yet expecting Bakhtiari, Alexander and others to have an immediate impact coming back from injuries.
Personally, I think playing guys like Bahk and Myers is a smart move today. Both have been out for quite some time and I would expect some "rust" from both. I wish Alexander, Z Dog and Cobb were able to play today as well.

As far as Rodgers, Adams, and the other guys who haven't been sitting out due to injuries, I just don't see how this one game, of playing minimal snaps and potentially trying to minimize hits, does a whole lot for "keeping the rust off".

I do think that the 2 weeks that follow are important for the team to balance rest and practice, while staying mentally focused on the task at hand.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought BakhT's chances of playing again this year was under 20% after his earlier setback and quickly approaching zero. guess who's playing today? LOL

But that's a long time off, I don't expect the BakhT i'm used to seeing for a few weeks.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought BakhT's chances of playing again this year was under 20% after his earlier setback and quickly approaching zero. guess who's playing today? LOL

But that's a long time off, I don't expect the BakhT i'm used to seeing for a few weeks.
Well… your original prediction wasn’t too good (I agreed with it btw)…. hopefully you continue to be wrong lol.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling Preston ain't gonna be playing much contain when he is there today. End runs may work pretty good when he is in.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have a feeling Preston ain't gonna be playing much contain when he is there today. End runs may work pretty good when he is in.
I have a feeling that both the Packer offense and defense won't look the same, with and without the starters.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts