Do we play our starters next week?

Play the starters next week?

• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Play Rodgers for 1 series, running plays only, and starters 1st qtr no more than 1st 1/2 Detroit will be playing like this is a must win game and they will come hard, so no need to take chances.
I would say that this might be the happy compromise that they come to. It will be interesting to see how important the franchise record for receiving yards is to Davante and Rodgers.

Last edited:

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Play them at least a quarter with a d i n k & dunk offense to get the ball out of Rodgers' hands as quickly as possible. Smart play calling can manage the risk.

**What is wrong with this board's censorship that I cannot using the word **** D I N K?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would day that thus might be the happy compromise that they come to. It will be interesting to see how important the franchise record fir receiving yards is to Davante and Rodgers.
Well… the missed Covid game not withstanding…. Next week is the 17th regular season game so any season record would have an asterisk in my eyes anyway. Sit them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One thought I did just have and it stems from Rodgers saying he is playing next week. MLF is really going to want to chat with his players about this, maybe even put it to a team vote. Injuries are one thing, but players having this thought stuck in their head that they need to play in that game, could be even more devastating 2 weeks later when that player starts having a bad game and has it in his head that he should have been allowed to play in Detroit.

Not an easy decision, but also maybe one where the team, as a team, should decide.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well… the missed Covid game not withstanding…. Next week is the 17th regul
Right, but I don't think that will really matter to Adams, since they probably will never go back to 16 games. There will definitely be some new records established with the now 17 game schedule.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but I don't think that will really matter to Adams, since they probably will never go back to 16 games. There will definitely be some new records established with the now 17 game schedule.
I agree… but that won’t change my opinion lol. We already have to have this discussion when discussing records like the fact that Jim Brown played in 12 and 14 game seasons. You are correct that records going forward will be based on 17 game seasons…. but that won’t erase the asterisk in my head lol.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree… but that won’t change my opinion lol. We already have to have this discussion when discussing records like the fact that Jim Brown played in 12 and 14 game seasons. You are correct that records going forward will be based on 17 game seasons…. but that won’t erase the asterisk in my head lol.
Agreed. The 1972 Miami Dolphins team that went 14-0 during the only perfect season in the NFL, are probably liking more and more games being added to the season.

Records sometimes are made to be broken or not and a change in how the game is played definitely can influence it.

MLB seems to have changed their philosophy on how long they leave a starting pitcher in a game, the days of 20 game winners is about over, with only 1 pitcher (Julio Urias) accomplishing that in the last 5 seasons. Of course 20 games pales to the actual record number of wins by a pitcher in a season....Old Hoss Radbourn had 59 wins in the 1884 season.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to play the starters for at least a half. Not playing for three weeks is asking to come out flat and out of synch like 2011. Anybody who has been out a long time also needs to play the rust off and you don't want to wait for a playoff game to do that.

I'm on the fence with either decision, so I agree with the best course of action playing the starters for the 1st half and pulling them. Although, there is one caveat. If Adams breaks the record for single season yardage in Green and Gold, then celebrate, and sit them down.

I personally would rather use Week 18 to develop the younger players for depth purposes and most importantly confidence heading into the playoffs. Super Bowl runs are more than often won by the role players stepping up in big moments. Allowing these players the confidence by matching their mental development with actual game speed, will be huge.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you play the starters for a series or two and then let them sit. Jordan Love and Patrick Taylor time on offense.
I want to see them activate Jaire, Z and Bak though, if they're ready and just sitting because we've had easy matchups the last couple of weeks now is the time to see what they can offer. If they're not ready, how can you consider using them in the playoffs?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I want to see them activate Jaire, Z and Bak though, if they're ready and just sitting because we've had easy matchups the last couple of weeks now is the time to see what they can offer.
Honestly, these are veteran players, if they are healthy, they don't need a "tune up game". Would it benefit them? Probably, but it could also be the game that they get hurt again.

The Packers will have 2 weeks of practice after next Sunday, plenty of time to get some of their IR guys ready for the first playoff game.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
LaFleur mentioned in his presser that he's approaching this week as if it were any other week. That he's not comfortable with the prospect of essentially taking three full weeks off.

He also mentioned that it would be ideal for David Bakhtiari to play this week and that he will be practicing. Says it's day to day and that they will see how he feels as the week progresses.

For Jaire...LaFleur says that he is getting close to return, but they don't have a true test for him tackling and they just want to get him comfortable in pads. Says that the contact/tackling is the last step in clearing him to be able to play. He also mentioned that, even if Jaire doesn't practice this week due to COVID-19, it's still possible that he could play on Sunday vs the Lions. It would ultimately come down to how comfortable he is with using his shoulder to tackle.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante Adams needs 22 more yds. to get the GB Packers single season receptions yardage record... of course he wants to play. What are the Packers chances of hoisting the Lombardi if Adams blows a knee or shoulder in a meaningless game? Sit him so he's ready to roll in late January, IMHO.
I can for sure see Devante wanting to break the record.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally would rather use Week 18 to develop the younger players for depth purposes and most importantly confidence heading into the playoffs.
If they get killed; it would not be much of a confidence booster.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_7778.jpg
    IMG_7778.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 93

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after layoffs this long, they do need a tune up. Rodgers played like **** against Carolina a few years ago. Football is better in October and November than in August and September. Guys who used to hold out in the past then come in when everyone else was in game shape and hardened would get hurt right away (levens) etc. A guy like Smith could come in 10-15 snaps and rush a QB. Yes. Different for BakhT. That's every down. Jaire? I think he has the best chance of all of them and he'll be a game or 2 before he's up to game speed fully.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante Adams needs 22 more yds. to get the GB Packers single season receptions yardage record... of course he wants to play. What are the Packers chances of hoisting the Lombardi if Adams blows a knee or shoulder in a meaningless game? Sit him so he's ready to roll in late January, IMHO.
I wonder how much, if any, MLF being so much closer in age to some of these players than some of the old curmudgeons might play into it. I don't think MLF will take any unnecessary risks (although some would say playing at all is an unnecessary risk) but from what I gather most of the players think he is very in tune to what they want and need. That's what makes him such a popular coach. He gets the players and understands their motivations. Take Adams for example. If he needs 22 yards to break the record I could easily see a coach like MLF letting him start and calling his number early and often until he gets it and then pulling him. Numbers are important to these guys and a coach that lets them at least try to reach them will get more players motivated to play hard for him.

As for my opinion on the matter my philosophy is you don't change your routine. You maybe give the backups a little more practice time (they need to prepare as well if you want them to have a realistic chance to win) but the healthy players do practice and they do start the game. Play them a series or a quarter or even a half and then pull them but treat the week pretty much like any other week.

The fact that they have earned the bye IMO makes it even more important that they play. Like some have said they will have two weeks to rest, do they really need another one? Obviously if there are injuries that are nagging you rest them but anyone who is healthy, or at least as healthy as they can be at this point get the start.

I think Rodgers gets the start as well as Adams but I wouldn't expect to see them for more than a couple of series or a quarter. Other starters will be pulled and I would expect to see primarily backups in the second half with a fair number throughout the 2nd quarter.

That's the way I would approach it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
"Rodgers Sacked in Meaningless Game, leaves game with torn ACL"

Just getting people ready for the possibility.

Reaction score
Play them a series or a quarter or even a half and then pull them but treat the week pretty much like any other week.
It struck me as I was reading this that the teams of the past have used that philosophy. Not sure if MLF feels the same way or not though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well… the missed Covid game not withstanding…. Next week is the 17th regular season game so any season record would have an asterisk in my eyes anyway. Sit them.

Pretty much EVERY season record has an asterisk since the NFL went to a 16 game schedule in 1978; just accept that records are meant to be broken or just divide every record by games played. Heck, the 14 game schedule was preceded by the 12 game schedule. Asterisks are, potentially, the most heavily used punctuation in any record book.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Practice as usual and play the starters a quarter to a half depending on how they look (let them get a productive series or two in before pulling them). I am not a believer in sitting them for the entire game because 2 weeks off is a bit much when their first game back is win or go home.