• Yes

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Breaking single season records are meaningless with the additional 17th game. He had his 16.
So the only records that mean anything are those that were set in what? the 10 game seasons back in the 30's or maybe it was the 12 or 14 game seasons.

I guess the Packers single season record is 1211 since Hutson did that in 11 games in 1942.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every sport changes & evolves. I like Formula 1 & now get 25 points for a win & more races in a season. Does that take away from the greats of the past no it doesn't just means you have to adjust your thinking. Greats are great as hey are or were the best at that time.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if he plays, he'll get his numbers in 16 games.
First … I agree with Pokerbrat we need to get used to it the season is now 17 games and will be going forward. That being said.. I totally disagree with your argument. Part of the accomplishment of any of these per season records is predicated on being available for as many games as possible… some of it is pure luck. The fact remains that Adams had a 17 game season to work with… not 16. While it’s not his fault that he got Covid, I’m sure there are other records that were not broken over the years because the player missed time through no fault of his own…. and vice versa… I’m betting some records were established where the player actually missed a game or two.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
First … I agree with Pokerbrat we need to get used to it the season is now 17 games and will be going forward. That being said.. I totally disagree with your argument. Part of the accomplishment of any of these per season records is predicated on being available for as many games as possible… some of it is pure luck. The fact remains that Adams had a 17 game season to work with… not 16. While it’s not his fault that he got Covid, I’m sure there are other records that were not broken over the years because the player missed time through no fault of his own…. and vice versa… I’m betting some records were established where the player actually missed a game or two.
Agreed.

The true stats nerds will understand the difference. All records have to be taken into context to fully understand them.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Right, but some might still want the asterisk since it was a 17 game season.

I wonder if Aaron is conflicted, since it is Jordy Nelson's record that Davante will be breaking. I doubt it. :)
Rodgers just recently said that Adams is the most dominant player he has ever played with. I think he wants him to break it and I don't think that is a dig on Nelson.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the extra game, many single-season records will be broken sooner or later. I don't know when it will happen, but someone will break Eric ****erson's single-season rushing yards record. Peterson came so close in 2012 and would have easily broken it in a 17 game season. Same thing with Strahan's sack record, Manning's passing yards record, etc.

Last edited:

Krabs

Reaction score
With the extra game, many single-season records will be broken sooner or later. I don't know when it will happen, but someone with break Eric ****erson's single-season rushing yards record. Peterson came so close in 2012 and would have easily broken it in a 17 game season. Same thing with Strahan's sack record, Manning's passing yards record, etc.
Maybe if you spelled ****erson wrong it wouldn't sensor it. Eric Dikcerson!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to play the starters for at least a half. Not playing for three weeks is asking to come out flat and out of synch like 2011. Anybody who has been out a long time also needs to play the rust off and you don't want to wait for a playoff game to do that.
Agreed, although I don't think MLF will let them play more than Q1. More important to me is getting snaps for Bakh, Alexander, Myers, Turner, and whoever else I missed. The playoffs, as you note, is no place to shake off the rust. No team is head and shoulders above any other team. If necessary, I'm ok going the distance with this team. Hope it's not necessary. Even if it's Myers and Turner, Rodgers can do more in the pocket and the run game will be better.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So the only records that mean anything are those that were set in what? the 10 game seasons back in the 30's or maybe it was the 12 or 14 game seasons.

I guess the Packers single season record is 1211 since Hutson did that in 11 games in 1942.
The modern era has played 16 games except for a few years. Yes, any single season records established come with an asterisk. You ok with that?

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2011 we were horribly unprepared, flat and rusty after resting our starters for the last game of the season.

I think you 100% have to play them around 1 half or so, regardless of the outcome.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The stats are showing 50:50 ratio on home team winning over last two seasons. No massive home field advantage. Having said that if a warm weather team comes to Lambeau in January & weather is as it should be we will have a huge advantage. Didn't John Madden call the cold proper football weather?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Right, but some might still want the asterisk since it was a 17 game season.

I wonder if Aaron is conflicted, since it is Jordy Nelson's record that Davante will be breaking. I doubt it. :)
Baseball used the asterisk for many years following the move to a 162 game schedule from 154.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
2011 we were horribly unprepared, flat and rusty after resting our starters for the last game of the season.

I think you 100% have to play them around 1 half or so, regardless of the outcome.
We also got beat by a pretty good team, the Giants, who went on to win the Super Bowl. Also, only Aaron Rodgers, Charles Woodson, Greg Jennings, and Clay Matthews sat out the Jan. 1 game VS the Lions. Matt Flynn had his career game and if you look at the Box Score, appears most of the starters that dressed, played most of the game.

I hope the Packers use that game against the Giants as a reminder, that on any given Sunday.....also is why the Eagles scare me a bit, they seem to be the hot team right now.

Krabs

Reaction score
Also is why the Eagles scare me a bit, they seem to be the hot team right now.
They do not scare me that much.

Eagles Schedule:
L - Giants 7-13
W - Jets 33-18
W - WFT 27-17
W - Giants 34-10
W - WFT 20-16

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They do not scare me that much.

Eagles Schedule:
L - Giants 7-13
W - Jets 33-18
W - WFT 27-17
W - Giants 34-10
W - WFT 20-16
yup and then you have

W - Saints 40-29
W - Broncos 30-13
W - Lions 44-6
W- Falcons 32-6

Bottom line, just like the Packers, they have won 6 out of their last 7 and playing pretty good in the process. I think Saturday's game against the Cowboys will tell us quite a bit about them and might be a preview of their first playoff matchup as well.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The modern era has played 16 games except for a few years. Yes, any single season records established come with an asterisk. You ok with that?
I have no problem with record books stating the number of games in a season. Let the reader make up his own mind if it matter to him or not. I don't like the idea of an asterisk though. To me an asterisk says "but...you need to consider this." its a negative in this case leading the reader to a certain position. At least that's the way I look at it.

Baseball used the asterisk for many years following the move to a 162 game schedule from 154.
Baseball sucks. Its played by a pansy's. A very wise man once said so.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lol...I miss George! This was a classic on rule changes he would make in Sports.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We also got beat by a pretty good team, the Giants, who went on to win the Super Bowl. Also, only Aaron Rodgers, Charles Woodson, Greg Jennings, and Clay Matthews sat out the Jan. 1 game VS the Lions. Matt Flynn had his career game and if you look at the Box Score, appears most of the starters that dressed, played most of the game.

I hope the Packers use that game against the Giants as a reminder, that on any given Sunday.....also is why the Eagles scare me a bit, they seem to be the hot team right now.

Apologies for the late response

You are correct that the 2011 Giants were a good team that won the Super Bowl. However, I think it was a combination of us being rusty, flat, etc. and them being hot "at the right time".

That 2011 Giants team was fantastic, but we got beat pretty badly...

The 2007 Giants (also a SB winning team) were also a good team that beat us at home, but it was MUCH closer and in the NFCCG. But I don't believe we rested any starters in that season. That was also Brett Favre's last year with us... and he threw a costly interception in the NFCCG that ultimately helped end it for us

Anyway, the point is, the 2011 team was really good and just got whooped by resting key players in the last regular season game which I feel took away a lot of momentum for us.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That 2011 Giants team was fantastic, but we got beat pretty badly...
It should have been a much closer game. Take away the halftime hail mary, and it's only 30-20. Then there was the would-be touchdown pass to Jennings early in the second half that went right thru his hands in the end zone. That was definitely rust, and should have been caught. That would have made the final score 30-27. Of course, a different sequence of events could have resulted and maybe we win that game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts