1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Do we need to draft a D-lineman early?

Discussion in 'Draft Talk' started by bubba, Feb 12, 2014.

1. bubba

bubba Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +43
    It seems like the system we have our linemen are there to basically eat up blocks. Im thinking why not just go after a few big fatties later like Mcullers. Could basically do what Raji does only a lot cheaper.

2. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,408
    Well, it depends on what will happen between now and the draft. Right now we don´t have a single DL under contract who is best suited to play in a base 3-4 defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +208
    Our fatties are definitely just there to eat multiple blocks. I think Pickett is cool with that because he's incapable of generating much push anyways. Raji, however, I think does not care for the role.

I do think we will lose one or both of these big men, and so I think we will have to replace them in the draft. Just one or two guys to rotate with Josh Boyd. I'm hoping we don't spend anything higher than a 4th on this.

4. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    I'm sure TT will draft a D-lineman early...and then make him a linebacker.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,379
    If all the big bodies needed to do was "eat up blocks" then anybody off the street can play.

The object is to clog running lanes, which might sound like semantics, but there is a difference. Clogging a running lane involves recognition and moving off the block even if a tackle is not made. Slowing down or redirecting the runner is the object. If all a guy does is "eat up blocks" then the offense has him where they want him (see Raji, circa 2013), and the runner is free to the second level.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,379
    Well, we do have Boyd who fits the profile, but we haven't seen enough of him to know if he can play.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Pickett will be back. He wants to play, they like him, he won't cost much, and he's probably good for about 20 snaps per game if his knees hold up.

Still, the point is well taken. Going forward with Boyd, Pickett and some mid-to-low round developmental big bodies is not going to cut it. We'll need a guy who can start now, and that will come at a cost.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  7. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    draft one, then get one from free agency. I say we should see what type of offers Lamarr Houston would entertain. He is young, big and has good production..... and I bet he would be willing to leave the slacker raiders and come to a real team.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HousLa99.htm

8. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,408
    The Raiders have lots of cap space, they won´t let Houston walk away in free agency.

9. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Raiders are one of the most STUPID nfl teams, ya never know unless ya make an offer

10. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,408
    Reggie McKenzie is running that team right now, I think those days are over in Oakland.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +347
    Where is Howard Green when you need him?

• Funny Funny x 1