DISCUSS 1st Round Pick: Justin Harrell, DT

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read his history and it seems like he played around 20 games in college. Is anyone else not concerned about his injury history? I'm not concerned about him not playing well, I'm concerned about him not playing at all.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really wanted Reggie Nelson. I'm pretty dissappointed, but I won't hold it against Harrell. I hope he proves us all wrong.

We need to create more pressure with our front four. Hopefully, Harrell will help us create pressure on the QB.

Manuel can't eff up if the other QB has no time to throw!

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there was no concern about his injury history, he would have been top 10. The fact he was available at 16 was because of his injury past. However, given he checked out I don't think this should be a death sentence on the pick. Just a factor to balance out his upside a little more.

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok i confess i said WTF?? i sure as heck hope i am wrong otherwise a bad pick conscidering his injuries over the past 4 years. I would have actually gone for a TE to replace bubba "cant catch a cold" or as fodder for the draft or as a starting QB in Quinn/./

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is a reach like the bills when they grabed macargo last year, just ****ing stupid. if we did not like anyone at that point why not trade down.
he would have bin around later towrds the end of the first round.

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 stars from scout.com (3rd best at his position in this draft)
from nfl.com
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/harrell_justin

OVERVIEW
Harrell, the team captain who wears his emotions on his sleeve, knew the veterans were needed to step up and take charge in 2006 after a disappointing 2005 season. He was primed for a banner senior year, but suffered a ruptured left biceps tendon in the second game.

The team doctors ruled Harrell lost for the season and scheduled surgery, but the gritty veteran postponed the procedure one more week. He had his arm heavily bandaged and stepped out on the field with the starting unit for a crucial match-up against Florida. The Vols fought valiantly and Harrell produced three tackles with a stop behind the line of scrimmage, but the Gators rallied for a 21-20 victory. Right after the game, the team lost its injured star for the rest of the year. He finally went under the knife, which brought his Tennessee career to a close.

Harrell was a standout defensive lineman at Westview High School. He was selected Tennessee's Class 2A "Mr. Football" in 2001, adding Prep Football Report and PrepStar All-American honors. He was named West Tennessee's Defensive Player of the Year by the Jackson Sun and earned Class 2A all-state accolades, as he helped the 2001 team to a 13-2 record and a state runner-up finish. After his final season, he played in the Georgia-Tennessee All-Star Game.

A three-year starter on both offense and defense, Harrell caught 18 passes for 354 yards and six touchdowns as a tight end and recorded 72 tackles as defensive lineman, including 19 for loss, four sacks and eight pass deflections as a senior. During his junior year, he caught 21 passes for 291 yards and three touchdowns. Defensively, he recorded 61 tackles, 12 for loss, and deflected four passes. He was also a three-year starter in basketball, as he scored 17 points per game his senior season.

Harrell enrolled at Tennessee in 2002, spending the season performing on the scout team. Hard luck with injuries limited him to eight games as a reserve defensive tackle in 2003. He missed more than half of spring drills after right leg surgery. In fall camp, he broke his ankle, sitting out the first five games. When he returned, he re-injured the ankle after only one snap against Miami and saw limited action the rest of the year. He finished with 10 tackles (5 solos), a stop for a loss and a quarterback pressure.

In 2004, Harrell started the team's first 11 games at right defensive tackle before an ankle injury against Kentucky would limit his play in the final two games. He registered 26 tackles (17 solos) with 11 pressures, 1½ sacks and 4½ stops for losses. He also batted down four passes and recovered a pair of fumbles.

Harrell started all 11 games in 2005, shifting to left tackle. He totaled 39 tackles (21 solos) with 2½ sacks and 7½ stops behind the line of scrimmage. He intercepted a pair of passes, returning one for a touchdown and was credited with eight pressures. He also caused one fumble and batted away three passes. For his performance, he earned second-team All-Southeastern Conference honors.

The defensive captain started the first three games of the 2006 season at left tackle before missing the rest of the season. He posted seven tackles (three solos) with a pressure and a stop for a loss. With Harrell in the lineup, the team rang up 2.33 sacks per game. With Harrell sidelined, the Vols had an average of one.

In 35 games, Harrell started 25 times. He registered 82 tackles (46 solos) with four sacks for minus-32 yards and 14 stops for losses of 57 yards. He collected 21 quarterback pressures, recovered two fumbles and caused four others. He knocked down eight passes and intercepted two for 36 yards in returns, including a touchdown.

ANALYSIS
Positives: Has thick upper-body mass with a firm chest, shoulders and good arm-muscle definition. … Has big hips, thick thighs and calves and room on his frame to add at least another 20 pounds of bulk with no loss in quickness. … Quick and explosive off the snap; even though he was used mostly to occupy multiple blockers at the line of scrimmage, he does a good job of anchoring and clogging up the inside rush lanes. … Has outstanding weight-room strength and is starting to learn how to translate that to the football field (must keep his hands inside and active to get full value out of his punch). … Does an effective job of combining aggressiveness with strength to create an explosive surge off the snap. … Maintains a low center of gravity to fill the inside lanes. … Will make plays downfield and shows good urgency closing on the ball. … Lacks ideal instincts, but shows no hesitation getting to the ball once he locates it. … Leader-by-example type who proved his moxie by refusing surgery to play with a ruptured biceps vs. Florida in 2006. … Responsible, mature type who really embraced the leadership role thrust upon him as a senior. … Will duck his head at times coming off the ball, but has the leg drive and burst to gain advantage. … If he learns to anticipate the snap quicker, he has that natural burst needed to dominate at the line of scrimmage. … When he hunkers his pads down and drive his foot into the ground, he is very effective at containing inside run plays. … Has good change-of-direction agility and it is rare to see him exposed on the move. … If he learns to use his hands better to gain leverage, he could be very effective in attempts to stack and control. … Has the strength to split double teams, but must be conscious of using his hands. … Compensates for a lack of ideal timed speed by taking proper angles to gain position to make the tackle working down the line. … Difficult to handle in one-on-one situations; he will constantly battle until the whistle. … Delivers a punishing hand jolt as he slides down the line of scrimmage and has the balance to sidestep and slip past the blocker when bull rushing. … Still plays more on his raw ability, but shows quickness reacting to the running plays, where his lateral agility is shown while giving chase. … Not much of a pass rusher; he is used more in run containment, but shows effective rip and club moves in attempts to get penetration. … More of a push type of pass rusher, but has the strength to gain inside penetration and is decent trying to adjust on the move. … Won't get to the quarterback when taking a wide loop, but up the middle he closes quickly on the quarterback, showing the leg drive and burst to collapse the pocket (better getting to the passer from his inside alignment than on the edge). … When he extends his long arms, he does a nice job of keeping blockers off him (needs to do this with more consistency, though).

Negatives: Not that "field smart" and needs to make quicker reads, but shows good urgency to pursue when he locates the ball. … Must learn to keep his head up coming out of his stance; this causes him to lose sight of the ball, especially when working through a crowd. … Has a good short-area burst, but when he overpursues, he lacks sharp stop-and-go action to redirect suddenly (will gather some). … Is susceptible to angle blocks and traps (mostly when he keeps his head down or fails to maintain inside position with his hands). … Lacks ideal hand placement to prevent blockers from getting underneath to lock on and ride him out of the play (blockers get their hands into his chest too often). … Has to improve his hand usage; blockers know they can attack his feet without him countering (must learn to keep his hands active in attempts to separate).

Compares To: Johnny Jolly, Green Bay. … Jolly might not have played much in 2006, but Harrell has that same explosion off the snap that lets both occupy multiple blockers. Harrell plays with the strength needed to take up space, and while he lacks sustained speed, he does explode off the ball. He needs to develop a better feel for the ball and must be more active with his hands. His main job is clogging and constricting the inside rush lanes, but he must create better separation with his hands if he hopes to improve his pass rushing skills. For a team looking for a plugger in the middle, Harrell could be the answer, if he is recovered from his torn biceps.

jessefly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah im a little worried myself.....why pick a guy who missed ten games because he tore his biceps....i hadnt even heard of him....i def. said WTF

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also said WTF really loud. I don't get it. Our first round pick was spent on a guy who didn't even play last year. Wow. I don't know what to say.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ted address the pick, typed up by another poster on Bretts forum

"We felt he was the best value and his ability you have to think of taking him.

We felt very good about him. You try and work through the different scenarios.

We saw him at the combine with the medical staff and we felt very good about where he is. I think he bench pressed 24 times even though he couldn’t lift much.

We felt pretty strongly about taking Justin.

(When asked if he considered Brady Quinn) We consider everybody

I think he (Justin) will fit in very good with our guys

We like having a lot of good defensive line men

We wanted to add another guy to our group

Good citizen, great man

(said with a laugh) People in the atrium booed me (when talking about drafting Justin)

we had calls from 5 different teams to trade down but none were good enough

hes a spread out defensive line man

we feel very good that he can play in any facet of the game

hes a tough guy, now, hes a country kid, I think hes a tough guy

That’s what the green bay packers is all about, about the fans and they care

If they (fans) disagree with the decision that’s ok, if we believe we are doing the right thing we can take a few shots

We’re gonna keep drafting here, whether theyre offensive players or defensive we’re gonna keep to our plan

I have a defensive background, and I think you win championships with defense but certainly we pay attention to the offensive side of the ball

Justin is a man’s man, hes a country kid from a town

Great guy, humble, wants to play, wants to be good, understand what it takes in terms of hard work.

We went back and did a lot of study from the 2005 season (for Justin)

He’s kind of a long spread out guy but I think primarily he’ll be a tackle

I was trying to quit them (the fans) booing me, I think he has the potential to be a single digit pick

(what set him apart) we liked the way he played, good human being, good guy in the locker room, best football ahead of him

We don’t draft based on needs, we don’t think that’s the best policy, the more good football players regardless of position the better off you are as a team

Our doctors laid their hands on him, did the xrays and all those type of things, and he looked good"

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
THE GUY WASNT PROJECTED AS A FIRST ROUNDER AND DIDNT EVEN PLAY HALF OF THE PAST SEASON AT TENNESSEE THIS PICK IS GARBAGE< THERE IS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND HE WOULD HAVE BEEN THERE AT 47

IM DISGUSTED<< AM I THE ONLY 1~~?????

Excuse me?????????

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analyzer

16 16 Green Bay Justin Harrell DT Tennessee
Pat Kirwan's Analysis
I had Justin Harrell going somewhere at this point in the draft because when he regained his health, it demonstrated to the NFL -- with the 35 reps on the bench -- NFL personnel people went back and looked at 2005 game tapes and convinced themselves he was a first-round selection because he has a unique ability to disengage from blockers and make plays in the backfield.

Gil Brandt: Harrell was injured in 2006; he tore his pectoral muscle and missed most of the season, so you had to go back to 2005 to see what he could do as a defensive lineman. He has been well coached by Texas associate head coach John Chavos. He has regained all the strength he lost during the time he was injured.

Vic Carucci: Thanks to the Bills, the Packers couldn't get the running back they wanted in this spot. They needed defensive tackle help, and at one point, it seemed Alan Branch of Michigan would be te next player selected at the position after Okoye ... if not before Okoye. But concerns over Branch's tendency to play too upright and over his health made him too much of a risk for the Packers. Harrell is healthy and a safer choice. He should be a force against the run and a solid anchor for Green Bay's defensive line for a long time.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really understand the pick. I would have rather seen a weapon for Favre, but the guy seems pretty solid, and i hope for being the #16 pick he at least starts at DT in '07

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really understand the pick. I would have rather seen a weapon for Favre, but the guy seems pretty solid, and i hope for being the #16 pick he at least starts at DT in '07
The WRs slotted there (Bowe, MEacham) were not good options, IMO. There was no RB and Olsen is limited. Get the DT now (there is little depth) and get the WR,S and RB in the middle rounds. The depth is there at those spots.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we all saw in the last four games of the season the best weapon Favre had was a defense that started to show more signs of life and helped Favre win games without having to be superman. There are still 6 more rounds. Well ok 4 more where there will be great value. There are also trade possibilities.

I was confused by the pick but I will give the guy a fair shot he may or may not surprise us.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we all saw in the last four games of the season the best weapon Favre had was a defense that started to show more signs of life and helped Favre win games without having to be superman. There are still 6 more rounds. Well ok 4 more where there will be great value. There are also trade possibilities.

I was confused by the pick but I will give the guy a fair shot he may or may not surprise us.

Totally agree. I'm pissed about the pick. I would have rather lost value in a trade than take an injury prone DT.

But, DT is one of, if not the hardest position to get in FA. So, the draft is about the only place to get elite guys at the position. I'm at least gonna wait till this is over to pass judgement on the whole thing.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys i know i was pissed about this pick yesterday and i hate him and TT but i actually think that now its a good pick ... we picked the best 3rd DT in the draft ... he is a monster ... scouts had him top 10 if he wasnt injured wow ... that pretty much destroys the other teams running game so they got to throw more ... * Woodson Harris * Collins and Rouse Hard hitting safeties ... its a good pick on defense ye i know its nothing on offense but think of it this way ... jennings should be better then last year ... and if robinson comes back our wr depth would be pretty damn good ... our running game will be just fine with morency and jackson ... and im sure franks will step up once more ......

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Three pages and you all forgot the KEY point to drafting Harrell.

Harrell agreed to contract principles before being selected. He was the cheapest Ted could find in the first round. That's why we picked him. DUH!

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great. We picked the cheapest guy we could find, who's been injured almost his entire college career, in the first round. This does WHAT for the team? TT's not saving any money to pick up other players. He's not saving money to pick up Moss. And we haven't picked a TE yet? Sad.

Members online

Latest posts