1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

DISCUSS 1st Round Pick: Justin Harrell, DT

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by all about da packers, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Arles

Arles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Almost every mock done in the past week had him gone by 25. It's not as much of a reach as you think. There were injury concerns early on but once he showed he was past them he climbed pretty quickly.

2. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    i'm not I love Justin Harrell but we didn't need him...or we could of gotten him in the 2nd he is one of the best DE's Justin Harrell is a beast but I'd prefer a WR.

3. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    TT is having a press conference....

4. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    TT says he has a plan, and there gonna try and stick to it.

He is trying to add good people, a core guy to the team, regardless of whether it is on O or D.

5. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Justin Harrel is a country kid, and Reggie McKenzie has contacts in Ten. that spoke well of him.

Wants to play, wants to be good, works hard, humble, and said "he is ready, you got my homeboy Chad Clifton up there".

Said they did a LOT of study from previous season (2005) season, and they liked him. He is primarily a DT, but can move over to DE in running situations.

Has potential, may have been a top 10 pick if not for injury.

TT likes the way he plays, a football guy that is a good guy to add to the locker room, and the best football is in front of him.

Nobody was interested in trading down so the Packers could move up.

TT SAYS HE DOESN'T DRAFT BASED ON NEED.

6. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    TT saw him at the combine, and the doctors have checked him out, and they feel comfortable with his injury.

7. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    TT says he doesn't discuss trades like that (talking about Randy Moss), but says it is a "good question".

8. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm sure Justin Harrell will help in the trenches..Maybe a CB like Chris Houston, or maybe a Safety like Reggie Nelson or Eric Weddle to fix the pass D...maybe they will be better than 25th in points allowed.

9. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Overreact much Packer "fans"? Geez

This is why you aren't the GM of the franchise. I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

10. Toronto_Cheesehead

Toronto_Cheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was a bit shocked by the pick, but it's not a horrible move by Ted. WR and DB are bigger needs for sure. However, this is a deep draft for wideouts, and one of Smith, Gonzalez, or Rice will probably be there in round two when we pick. Also, a CB would've been great, but with Harris and Woodson starting next year I guess Ted didn't think it was good money management to pay first round cash for a nickelback. You can afford to take a corner later because he'll have a couple years to be groomed into a starters role. Finally, starting safeties can be plucked in any round.

As for Harrell, he looks like a solid player. Might be a bit of a reach, but he's crawled into the first round in recent mocks, so his injury woes must not be a huge concern anymore. Also, DT may not have been our biggest need, but it was a need. We had a platoon of guys playing beside Pickett last year, and TT must think Harrell is a guy that can step in and play a bulk of the downs next year. If that's the case then this will be a solid pick in hindsight.

11. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I did. I feel like this is a questionable pick. We have glaring needs - S, RB, TE, CB, and I believe our DL to be quite solid. I hope TT knows what he's doing.

12. Anubis

Anubis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So you feel we need another yet another DT over a CB or SS???

The problem in our D is NOT the front line, it is our pathetic secondary. Our running game left with Green, and TT has done nothing to address this. This pick will do nothing to address the obvious needs of the team. Fot the love of god, Quinn would have been a better choice seeing how this will no doubt be Favre's last season.

This was a complete waste of a pick. I could not even begin to describe how pissed off I am right now.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

13. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with the philosophy of picking th best player available in the first round. You want to get an impact player, someone who can play right away. From what I have read about this guy I see nothing in his resume that indicates that he can be an impact player. He might turn out to be a good player, but you can get good players in the second and third rounds. As you get beyond that you start looking for need and then you take the best player available at a position you need to fill. I just happen to believe that this guy is a stretch pick. If he turns out to be great player, then the pick looks great at 16. If he turns out to be an average player, which is more likely, he will look like a bust if he doesn't play well. It's like taking a player who simply isn't slotted there. It's just a bad pick in my mind because it doens't fit a need and he's not an impact type player.

14. Packman5

Packman5 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't be surprised if TT is trying to work some trade to get rid of KGB and have Jenkins move to the outside. Either way he must be blazed right now to make a draft pick like that.

15. Schmitty

Schmitty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Lions and the Vikings got the two best guys in the draft and we got this friggin guy. I dont like the pick, but he could turn out to be a very good player.

16. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    relax fella

17. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The kid might turn out to be a good player, but I think there were a lot of players out there that could have been drafted and would have a better chance of being the impact player you just have to get in the first round. If you're truly taking the best player available this guy wasn't it.

18. Krazygangsta

Krazygangsta Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Relax ... ya ok loool why would i be relaxed ... its been 3-4 months were waiting for this day ... big expectations for next year and this pick comes alone and just makes you realise that your going to be picking the same position next year orrrr even worst

19. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1

20. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As long as he is good I will be happy but if he is a bust Im going to be mad. It all starts at the D-line and putting pressure on the qb does wonders. Also we have good fast linebackers and if our d-line can consume blockers and open up holes then we can attack the QB. Im a bit confused seeing as we already have Pickett, up and comer Williams and we drafted Johnny Jolly last year. Also like some of you had said if we can get a run stuffing D-line like the vikes then wow. Anyways it all starts at the d-line and they can make an average secondary look great.

21. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    IMO, it would be different if this guy was a 330 lb run stuffer in the middle, but he's not, he's a 300 lb DL tweener. Boy we sure need another one of those.

I wonder what Harlan, Jones and Thompson were thinking when everyone in the Atrium was booing the selection. Not that hearing boos at Lambeau is unusual these days.

22. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Packers picking Harrolle is a bit surprising to me. Esp with so many other players on the board.
    What I don't understand is why did they not work out a trade with someone
    and move down a bit and pick up another 2nd or 3rd round pick.
    Harrolle would prob have still been there at 22 or so. If Harrolle would have been gone, they could have still selected a player that would fit one of the need positions and then had the extra pick as well.

23. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    we've already christened him JH aka the Next Grady aka The Picman! due to his interception skills in college :D

24. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Harrell has a former Vols teammate on the 49ers roster to thank for his disliked alias.

“I think Aubrayo Franklin might have had a hand in it to be honest with you,” said Harrell. “It was a bunch of the DTs when I first got to college who came up with it, and it stuck with me all five years at Tennessee and I guess it’s going to follow me the rest of my life. I kind of was hoping it was going to end after my college career but oh boy.”

25. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I would not be surprised to see KGB traded. Then have the Moss trade solidified later tonight with a 3rd or 4th. Then, if we work out the trade for Turner for next year's 1st or drafting a RB in the later rounds (which is what the ZBS is supposed to allow), we still can get a safety in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

For a draft that was supposed to be so WR heavy, not very many have been chosen. That should have several slide into the 2nd round.