Denzel Perryman.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what I saw from Perryman. He may not keep up with Gronkowski down the seam, but from what I saw, he can read the run/pass pretty well and get into coverage pretty easily. I guess I'd have to see him do it against NFL caliber players, but I don't watch enough of these guys to know how it will translate.

and there's no mistaking his tackling. They guy knows how to play football. He hits well, he tackles well. he takes on blockers and gets rid of them and still delivers a hit and wraps up. I think any team has a place for hardnosed football players.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See here's the problem. We want a guy that can flow to the ball, but also come up and lay a hit. I'm not sure there's a do it all in this class, but McKinney seems like the closest to this kind of player. I don't want to end up with a guy that's quick and can follow a play, but when the ball come up the gut, gets pushed back 5 yards. We definitely need a good tackler as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

I liked what I saw from Perryman. He may not keep up with Gronkowski down the seam, but from what I saw, he can read the run/pass pretty well and get into coverage pretty easily. I guess I'd have to see him do it against NFL caliber players, but I don't watch enough of these guys to know how it will translate.

and there's no mistaking his tackling. They guy knows how to play football. He hits well, he tackles well. he takes on blockers and gets rid of them and still delivers a hit and wraps up. I think any team has a place for hardnosed football players.

Don't get me wrong, I agree Perryman will probably turn into a reliable ILB in the league but I'm not sure the Packers need a guy like him as his playing style is similar to Barrington's.

IMO Kendricks would be a nice complement to Sam at the position.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kendricks would for sure be the biggest "want," but I really doubt he'll be there at 30.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I might like him to, I haven't seen him yet :) I really don't get to watch college football much anymore, so mostly I base my comments on some video someone has posted. It's about all I usually have to go on. Nobody is hiring me as a draftnik any time soon that's for sure.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what we do in FA will dictate what we draft in round 1 and 2. If we get to the draft and haven't signed a FA ILB, that means we'll draft one in round 1 or 2. However, if we do sign a FA ILB or two, we could very well do the BPA route.

Bruce Carter (ILB from Dallas) is a FA. He'd be a good fit for us.

H

HardRightEdge

Dawson tweeted, "I'm an awesome football player. The best/most productive linebacker in this draft. Not a track Star."

No mention of injury that I could see.

H

HardRightEdge

Kendricks would for sure be the biggest "want," but I really doubt he'll be there at 30.
I did a quick survey of the 10 mocks at at CBS, ESPN and Walter:

3 - AZ at #24
1 - DEN at #28
1 - GB at #30
5 - not in the first round

D

Deleted member 6794

I think what we do in FA will dictate what we draft in round 1 and 2. If we get to the draft and haven't signed a FA ILB, that means we'll draft one in round 1 or 2. However, if we do sign a FA ILB or two, we could very well do the BPA route.

I don´t expect Thompson to sign two free agents at the ILB position. In addition Carter played OLB in the Cowboys 4-3 defense, not sure he would be a great fit for the Packers inside.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dawson tweeted, "I'm an awesome football player. The best/most productive linebacker in this draft. Not a track Star."

No mention of injury that I could see.

On the bright side, he maybe there when we pick in the 2nd if we don't go LB in round 1. Dawson would be a good pick in round 2.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

My suspicion is Thompson will draft BPA on his board or trade to a position where the guy he wants, fits.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t expect Thompson to sign two free agents at the ILB position. In addition Carter played OLB in the Cowboys 4-3 defense, not sure he would be a great fit for the Packers inside.

There was an article that said Carter excelled in Rob Ryan's 3-4 scheme before he left and had difficulty making the switch to 4-3. I don't know much about him to throw a lot of cash at him.

H

HardRightEdge

My suspicion is Thompson will draft BPA on his board or trade to a position where the guy he wants, fits.
There is a parallel situation in history for some guidance.

Following the 2005 season, Thomson cut ties with two starting LBs in the 4-3. Paris Lenon left for Detroit as a free agent. Na'il Diggs was released. These were solid if unspectacular players; both went on to start for 5 or 6 years with other teams.

That left Barnett, Popinga with a couple starts in his 2005 rookie year, and nobody else I can remember.

How did Thompson address these holes a LB?

He drafted Hawk with the #6 pick and another LB, Abdul Hodge, with the #67 pick in the 2006 draft. He also signed a FA LB, 4 year vet Ben Taylor, who'd been a starting LB with Cleveland the year before.

Don't be surprised to see similar moves in the draft, and in free agency as well if Hawk is released. Even in the world according to Ted Thompson, at times need trumps best value.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a parallel situation in history for some guidance.

Following the 2005 season, Thomson's cut ties with two starting LBs in the 4-3. Paris Lenon left for Detroit as a free agent. Na'il Diggs was released. These were solid if unspectacular players; both went on to start for 5 or 6 years with other teams.

That left Barnett, Popinga with a couple starts in his 2005 rookie year, and nobody else I can remember.

How did Thompson address these holes a LB?

He drafted Hawk with the #6 pick and another LB, Abdul Hodge, with the #67 pick in the 2006 draft. He also signed a FA LB, 4 year vet Ben Taylor, who'd been a starting LB with Cleveland the year before.

Don't be surprised to see similar moves in the draft, and in free agency as well if Hawk is released. Even in the world according to Ted Thompson, at times need trumps best value.

Well isn't that funny. We could have just stuck with Barnett and Popinga, then never drafted Hawk. This would have opened us up for a better prospect later. Looking at that draft and all the potential if we would have dropped back.

I mean we drafted Cory Rodgers over Brandon Marshall for Pete's Sake.

H

HardRightEdge

Well isn't that funny. We could have just stuck with Barnett and Popinga, then never drafted Hawk.
Thompson did stick with Barnett and Popinga, for a few years anyway. You can't play 4-3 with 2 linebackers last time I checked. And then there's the matter of the bench. He had to bring in multiple guys.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson did stick with Barnett and Popinga, for a few years anyway. You can't play 4-3 with 2 linebackers last time I checked. And then there's the matter of the bench. He had to bring in multiple guys.

No I know, I'm just saying that draft was a mess. The year after had to have been the most talentless draft class I've ever seen as well.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully 100% expect us to have 3 new ILB's on our roster by the time preseason gets here.

D

Deleted member 6794

There was an article that said Carter excelled in Rob Ryan's 3-4 scheme before he left and had difficulty making the switch to 4-3. I don't know much about him to throw a lot of cash at him.

Carter only started 12 games at ILB since entering the league in 2011. To be fair he was better than any of guys during that period though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Even in the world according to Ted Thompson, at times need trumps best value.
And IMO need plays a significant role in where players appear on the board. IOW, Thompson can both stick to his board and draft for need when the best available players at any pick are on the same talent tier.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I see video of Perryman, the more I like him. The guys is just a football player. He looks instinctive and knows how to finish a play. He's not fast, but he's not slow either. On some of the passing plays, he seems to read them well and react well to the guy he's covering or a receiver coming into his zone.

Other guys might be taller, faster, etc, but if we have a guy up front that can take on a blocker and finish a play, who says we need to commit a linebacker to covering a TE down the seam? There are a lot of ways to play defense and I think with a guy like him in near the LOS and middle zones, we free up a safety for other jobs rather than bringing them down in the box all the time.

D

Deleted member 6794

The more I see video of Perryman, the more I like him. The guys is just a football player. He looks instinctive and knows how to finish a play. He's not fast, but he's not slow either. On some of the passing plays, he seems to read them well and react well to the guy he's covering or a receiver coming into his zone.

Other guys might be taller, faster, etc, but if we have a guy up front that can take on a blocker and finish a play, who says we need to commit a linebacker to covering a TE down the seam? There are a lot of ways to play defense and I think with a guy like him in near the LOS and middle zones, we free up a safety for other jobs rather than bringing them down in the box all the time.

An offense will always find a way to create mismatches and if a defense doesn´t have an ILB being able to cover RBs or TEs they will exploit it over and over again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they always try, that's for sure. But nobody wins with a perfect player at every position. He looks to react well enough to reading pass and the receiver, which i think bodes well for him in the NFL. Some of the others seem very un-instinctual when it comes to the pass game. If that makes sense.

anyway, we had a nick barnett once, pretty fast, but I'd take a guy that can read, react, and lay a freaking hit at this point. It's not like he's too slow to play the game.

D

Deleted member 6794

they always try, that's for sure. But nobody wins with a perfect player at every position. He looks to react well enough to reading pass and the receiver, which i think bodes well for him in the NFL. Some of the others seem very un-instinctual when it comes to the pass game. If that makes sense.

anyway, we had a nick barnett once, pretty fast, but I'd take a guy that can read, react, and lay a freaking hit at this point. It's not like he's too slow to play the game.

I wouldn't mind drafting Perryman either but I don't think he would be a great fit opposite Barrington. In that case the Packers better bring in someone able to cover RBs and TEs as well.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I want to say the same thing. His tape doesn't lie, but I often wonder if he'll end up like Hawk. A great college player with a good tape, but doesn't quite translate. I don't think this is what will happen and I'd like to think he'd be way better.

Members online

Latest posts