Denzel Perryman.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see him and Hawk looking similar though. Hawk ran all over the field, he didn't consistently put a hit on people like Perryman seems too. I don't know, I don't watch Miami football, i'm just going off the few vids I've seen online. This guy looks to be the part, more than Hawk did in college, he was arm tackling a lot of people, but he was strong and all over. Perryman lines you up, explodes in and wraps up.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An offense will always find a way to create mismatches and if a defense doesn´t have an ILB being able to cover RBs or TEs they will exploit it over and over again.

Ray Lewis was never really a burner chase-you-down with speed ILB either though. He was just Football smart. Peyton Manning of the defense so to speak.

Speed honestly isn't everything at the LB position (it does help) but its not the end all be all.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ray Lewis was never really a burner chase-you-down with speed ILB either though. He was just Football smart. Peyton Manning of the defense so to speak.

Speed honestly isn't everything at the LB position (it does help) but its not the end all be all.

Ray Lewis ran a 4.58 40 and at the time he entered the league there weren't as many athletic TEs around.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knowing angles is more important than speed at the LB position.

Ray Lewis was a master at that.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ray Lewis ran a 4.58 40 and at the time he entered the league there weren't as many athletic TEs around.

He actually ran a 4.37 at his pro day and Hawk ran a 4.5. I get that you have to look more at the tape for game speed, but this guy is running a 4.7 right now.

I do love his game tape though.

Edit: I apologize that was Willis that ran the 4.37

D

Deleted member 6794

He actually ran a 4.37 at his pro day and Hawk ran a 4.5. I get that you have to look more at the tape for game speed, but this guy is running a 4.7 right now.

I do love his game tape though.

Edit: I apologize that was Willis that ran the 4.37

I like Perryman´s game tape as well but IMO he´s not the ILB the Packers should be looking for.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I like Perryman´s game tape as well but IMO he´s not the ILB the Packers should be looking for.

Oh. I guess the Packers aren't looking for a guy that is "cut from the cloth" to play 3-4 ILB. I guess we're not looking for a guy that can "fill gaps" and "shed blocks" and go "sideline to sideline". We dont want a guy that can knock your facemask off. Nah. We don't want that kind of ILB. Let the Steelers get em.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh. I guess the Packers aren't looking for a guy that is "cut from the cloth" to play 3-4 ILB. I guess we're not looking for a guy that can "fill gaps" and "shed blocks" and go "sideline to sideline". We dont want a guy that can knock your facemask off. Nah. We don't want that kind of ILB. Let the Steelers get em.

Perryman is the same type of ILB as Barrington. There´s no way the Packers should start both as none of them is a great fit to cover RBs and TEs.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Perryman is the same type of ILB as Barrington. There´s no way the Packers should start both as none of them is a great fit to cover RBs and TEs.

I think on first and second down Barrington can cover. On 3rd down or pass situation's bring in an extra safety. Our problem has been stopping the run. Were good against the pass. Now you can let Clay line up outside and rush.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I like some Sam Barrington. I was on record saying he should of started way before he finally did. Perryman is more them Barrington.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think on first and second down Barrington can cover. On 3rd down or pass situation's bring in an extra safety. Our problem has been stopping the run. Were good against the pass. Now you can let Clay line up outside and rush.

I don´t want Barrington to be the guy covering RBs or TEs. The Packers pass defense has been pretty good vs. receivers last season (17th in yards allowed vs. #1 WRs, 4th vs. #2 and 7th vs. all others) but had troubles covering RBs (20th) and TEs (24th). Therefore we need and ILB capable of improving this aspect of the defense.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Fin
I don´t want Barrington to be the guy covering RBs or TEs. The Packers pass defense has been pretty good vs. receivers last season (17th in yards allowed vs. #1 WRs, 4th vs. #2 and 7th vs. all others) but had troubles covering RBs (20th) and TEs (24th). Therefore we need and ILB capable of improving this aspect of the defense.

Fine then. At least meet me in the middle with Stephon Anthony. We don't need to waist a top pick on a "glorified safety"

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I'm gonna compile some tape of your boy Kendricks against the "power run" in the "soft" PAC 12. Then tell me what you think.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fine then. At least meet me in the middle with Stephon Anthony. We don't need to waist a top pick on a "glorified safety"

Anthony, while being impressive in the 40 yard dash at the combine, needs a lot of work in coverage. Kendricks is my favourite pick at ILB and there´s nothing you can say which will change my mind about it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Anthony, while being impressive in the 40 yard dash at the combine, needs a lot of work in coverage. Kendricks is my favourite pick at ILB and there´s nothing you can say which will change my mind about it.

Yeah and last year you said Borland couldn't help us. I saw Borland knock Lynch on his ***.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah and last year you said Borland couldn't help us. I saw Borland knock Lynch on his ***.

I don´t think you should bring up too much stuff about last year taking a look back at your Seahawks prediction for several months during the offseason.

Borland has been a nice addition to the Niners, he wouldn´t be a great fit next to Barrington for the Packers either though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Borland could help any team in the middle of the defense. He's not a "cover" guy, but just like Perryman, he can recognize a pass and make his read quickly. Get to the qb, or get to this zone. What defense am I in? if a guy crosses his face, the can knock them the **** out, if he has to cover thru a zone, he can. If it's let them catch it short and make a tackle, I don't think many are going to break his tackle.

I think anytime you're depending on your ILB's to cover guys down field like a DB, you're screwed, unless of course they guy is a perfect player. He can lower pads and smash you over the middle and at the LOS and then run with a TE 30 yards down field, great, problem is finding that guy.

On defense it is about angles as a LB'er. Barrington can cover a RB like Lynch, that's good enough for me. Of course he can't try and undercut a "blocker" to get to his position and then be playing catch up which is why he gave up a huge play at the end of the seahawks game. But earlier, they tried the same play and he was perfect. Fast enough for me. I'd rather have a few guys that can blow up the middle than run fast at this point.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don´t think you should bring up too much stuff about last year taking a look back at your Seahawks prediction for several months during the offseason.

Borland has been a nice addition to the Niners, he wouldn´t be a great fit next to Barrington for the Packers either though.

Kendricks isn't a Shazier type athlete so to get a guy like that with a body type that doesn't have much room to grow would be a huge reach. If they got Kendricks in the 3rd round I think it would be good value.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think Borland could help any team in the middle of the defense. He's not a "cover" guy, but just like Perryman, he can recognize a pass and make his read quickly. Get to the qb, or get to this zone. What defense am I in? if a guy crosses his face, the can knock them the **** out, if he has to cover thru a zone, he can. If it's let them catch it short and make a tackle, I don't think many are going to break his tackle.

I think anytime you're depending on your ILB's to cover guys down field like a DB, you're screwed, unless of course they guy is a perfect player. He can lower pads and smash you over the middle and at the LOS and then run with a TE 30 yards down field, great, problem is finding that guy.

On defense it is about angles as a LB'er. Barrington can cover a RB like Lynch, that's good enough for me. Of course he can't try and undercut a "blocker" to get to his position and then be playing catch up which is why he gave up a huge p
lay at the end of the seahawks game. But earlier, they tried the same play and he was perfect. Fast enough for me. I'd rather have a few guys that can blow up the middle than run fast at this point.

Exactly, It's not like were playing against Gronk every week.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Bottom line: Peppers, Perryman, Barrington, Matthews would be the most athletic combo I have ever seen. Mean, nasty and fast.

D

Deleted member 6794

On defense it is about angles as a LB'er. Barrington can cover a RB like Lynch, that's good enough for me. Of course he can't try and undercut a "blocker" to get to his position and then be playing catch up which is why he gave up a huge play at the end of the seahawks game. But earlier, they tried the same play and he was perfect. Fast enough for me. I'd rather have a few guys that can blow up the middle than run fast at this point.

In today´s game the inside linebackers have to complement each other pretty well. Teams need to have a guy capable of blowing up the middle and another ILB being able to cover RBs and TEs. Perryman can for sure improve the run defense but it doesn´t make any sense to partner him with Barrington as the Packers would miss a cover guy in the middle of the field.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
In today´s game the inside linebackers have to complement each other pretty well. Teams need to have a guy capable of blowing up the middle and another ILB being able to cover RBs and TEs. Perryman can for sure improve the run defense but it doesn´t make any sense to partner him with Barrington as the Packers would miss a cover guy in the middle of the field.

Look, on passing downs take one of em out. Let's get em in 3rd in long before we start drawing up coverage's.

Members online

Latest posts