1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Defense ??

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by buggybill2003, Sep 1, 2012.

1. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,014
    As a foriegner, has there been some drastic change to the rules on tackling, or is our run defense really as poor as it looks recently ????

I`ve seen all four of the preseason games so far, and I cringe when the opposition run the ball at us.
    Kansas City being a perfect example. The 49ers have three scrambling quarterbacks on their books at the moment who will kill us when we play them. IMHO

2. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    We have 7? ROOKIES on defense?
    Perry, Worthy, Hayward, McMillian, Daniels, Richardson, Moses....
    And John Clayton thinks rookie Mike Daniels first name is Alex.
    He also thinks DJ Smith is a rookie again?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/tag/_/name/nfl-roster-analysis-2012

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +3,014
    ;) thanks Frank,

4. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    8? Didn't Terrell Manning also make the team?

5. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    We have a high powered passing offense and a running game that is equally soft. It makes sense that when you can't practice against a decent running game that you suck at run defense. Really it has been some time since we had any manner of run defense.

• Like Like x 1
  6. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Yeah Hypon I hear what you are saying, but I don`t recall it being this poor before, and I take Franks point about being rookies.

7. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    Rookies make a big part of it. Also not game planning for a team and running specific plays for situations not necessarily changing based on what the other team is doing. Ill take your lead and use KC as an example. Watching the packers line up in nickle over and over and over during a KC 9 running play streak really lays it out. The coaches were looking to evaluate one on one match-ups with our guys vs KC guys more than the defense as a whole. Also generally speaking I thought the tackling did take a step back a bit on Thursday as a whole I have been fairly impressed with the packers this preseason especially the secondary. Big hits in the backfield by a CB or safety really get me pumped up so to see more of that is a welcoming sign IMO

As far as SF and their scrambling QB's. Dont expect to see anyone besides Alex Smith out there for them. Unless he gets hurt we will face him. I dont know about yall but in my eyes he for one is not a mobile QB.

8. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +3,014
    I admit I`m not totally fluent in the game as I didn`t grow up watching it, or was coached at school, so I bow to those of you more knowledgable than me, but I admit to nearly crapping myself everytime Kansas ran it. :(

9. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    I felt the same way watching it live. I couldn't believe some of the holes their RB could have walked through for 5+ yds. I guess I'm just trying to stay positive moving into the regular season.

10. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I rewatched them on DVR and it was the ILB fault.... kept going to the wrong gaps. This is where the loss of Desmond Bishop will hurt like hell.
    Also, hopefully, will hurt Da Bears as Urlacher is injured too apparently.... hopefully we run thru them in week 2 for 200 yards on the ground. 130 from Cedric, 40 from 2 Rodgers scrambles, and 30 from 2 Alex Green draws.

11. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    As bad as this defense has looked in preseason and memories of all the stress they gave from last season and not being able to stop anyone from scoring and driving up and down the field, the defense really does concern me since the schedule is much tougher.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    IMO it’s a mistake to put too much emphasis on either run or pass defense because teams that excel in one phase can slide down the rankings in the other phase and still have a good defense. For example, rush yards surrendered in the fourth quarter for a team with a big lead don’t matter. IOW IMO points surrendered for the D and point differential for the team should be the gold standard in evaluating team defense. Obviously the Packers D has to be better this season, but mostly vs. the pass IMO. In fact the Packers 2011 stats vs. the rush were very similar to their 2010 stats.
    In the regular season, the Packers 2009 surrendered about 83 rush yds/game and 3.6 yds/rush. That was good enough to finish first in the league in the former and tied for second in the latter.

13. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    I stick to my guns, as a young man, 2009 was "some time" ago

14. milani

milani Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +72
    Our defense will need to get the turnovers like it did last season. They won't be a shutdown defense. Capers is armed with a lot of new bodies who will get on the field for sure with our history of injuries on the D. And raw as they will be it is an opportunity for these kids to earn their way into the NFL if they are made for it.
    With that said our offense and special teams will still need to put up a lot of points again if they can. Otherwise, we are looking at a mediocre season.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Any guesses on who plays in the Nickel and Dime packages? Jennings or McMillian could come in, but its just as likely Bush moves to the FS and Burnett moves over. McMillian has also seen reps as the Dime CB.

16. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Preseason = glorified practice. This is a judgment that can't really be accurately made until about a month into the real games.

17. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    Just to add to Greenblood's post: the reason why it's considered glorified practice is because team's don't gameplan to win. They're more interested in seeing how this inside linebacker will perform in pass coverage, or how that defensive tackle will perform when given two-gap responsibility, or how this cornerback will perform in cover-2. They create situations to see what these guys can do with specific assignments. It's about assessing how strong their strengths are, and how weak their weaknesses are, so there are no surprises once the regular season starts.

18. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I didn't see the KC game. But the games I have watched in the preseason I thought the tackling was better. Like has been said those weren't starters in the KC game for the most part.

19. GeeDogWarrior

GeeDogWarrior 0 - 0

Ratings:
    +139
    I thought our pass rush looked a lot better this preseason compared to last year....
    we got pressure with a 3 man rush... a lot of young guys thou, so idk.... Our D isn't gonna be 2010 good, but it'll probably be close to 09' good thou.