Defense and Special Teams need Coaching Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, defense. If you remember last year's NFC Championship Game, the San Francisco 49ers ran all over us. It was so bad Jimmy Garoppolo only attempted eight passes the entire game. Embarrassing. This year the defense starts out so bad that the so-called defensive leaders have to go into a meeting with their coordinator and basically tell him he's mucking everything up. That's a vote of no-confidence to me. So we fast forward to this year's NFC Championship Game. They know they have to stop the run after Tampa ran all over them the first game and they do generally a pretty good job outside of Leonard Fournette’s TD run. But they can't stop the pass until it's too late. It's always something with this defense and you can't win a Super Bowl without having a top 5 defense. His defense will never produce that. So they need to make a change. What are they afraid of? A worse result? You can't get much worse than when your players don't have confidence in what you're doing. They will not get to, much lrdd win a Super Bowl under him in my opinion. C’mon! Look at these defenses that are left and look at ours…... no comparison.

Second of all, special teams. This to me was a no-brainer after last year but the Packers basically did nothing. That kind of follows the definition of insanity-can't do nothing and expect better results. The only Shining Star was Mason Crosby. He hit on 100% of his field goals including 4 over 50 yards. Great job Mason. Well done! Their punyer is ranking in the bottom half of the league and is still very inconsistent. Coverage teams are at best so so and the return teams continue to be deplorable. Again you can't make it to the Superbowl with units like this. Make changes! They were not afraid to make changes to get rid of Mike McCarthy, you can't be afraid to make changes here. Let Matt LaFleur pick out his defensive coordinator or we will just continue to be the cream of the crap.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Well Pettine should be if not cleaning out his office, I kind of like the idea of a offensive play caller and not the coach, the question will be what kind of upgrades will the Packers org make in the off season, it has to improve special teams coach should be sharing that same Uber with Pettine out of GB

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe let Hackett call the plays..even if he stays in the booth to see the field better.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I really hope they get better guys in the replay booth so MLF can challenge quicker I think this is also overlooked

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ST... honestly you have to invest a little more than the Packers do in that part of the field. We have been complaining about ST coaches since the dawn of the MM era. The only thing Packer fans like more than *****ing about ST coaches is to demand that the best ST players get cut, I guess demonstrated tackling ability on returns is a bad thing.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need to get some peeps in here before the super bowl...staying pat with clowns is no way to run a circus...

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
ST... honestly you have to invest a little more than the Packers do in that part of the field. We have been complaining about ST coaches since the dawn of the MM era. The only thing Packer fans like more than *****ing about ST coaches is to demand that the best ST players get cut, I guess demonstrated tackling ability on returns is a bad thing.
Just curious just who is our best special teams player? People probably ***** about ST because theirs not much to be happy about. Any attempt of improvements like you said since MM haven’t been noticed much

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What if these coaches are teaching the way MLF wants and what he is asking but players are just not able to perform?

Not giving them a pass, but its possible MLF likes how the coaches are doing their job but knows the players are either idiots and not listening or just can do it.

Like bostock in the Seattle collapse...he knew what he was suppose to do, he just didnt listen

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
May be wrong, but I think a coach's job is to get the best out of his team (or unit). If the personnel you have can't/won't do what you think they should, you either get new personnel or a new system - you don't keep banging your head against the wall.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
May be wrong, but I think a coach's job is to get the best out of his team (or unit). If the personnel you have can't/won't do what you think they should, you either get new personnel or a new system - you don't keep banging your head against the wall.
I fully agree.

Im just thinking outloud and if MLF was good with how his coaches are preparing the players

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but why, I thought LaFleur did a good job overall with playcalling this season

He did insanely well, one of the most efficient seasons produced in the NFL.

Maybe let Hackett call the plays..even if he stays in the booth to see the field better.

Why would you remove the playcalling from a guy that literally just called one of the most efficient offense in the history of the NFL?

Last edited:

MolineGeneseo12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, defense. If you remember last year's NFC Championship Game, the San Francisco 49ers ran all over us. It was so bad Jimmy Garoppolo only attempted eight passes the entire game. Embarrassing. This year the defense starts out so bad that the so-called defensive leaders have to go into a meeting with their coordinator and basically tell him he's mucking everything up. That's a vote of no-confidence to me. So we fast forward to this year's NFC Championship Game. They know they have to stop the run after Tampa ran all over them the first game and they do generally a pretty good job outside of Leonard Fournette’s TD run. But they can't stop the pass until it's too late. It's always something with this defense and you can't win a Super Bowl without having a top 5 defense. His defense will never produce that. So they need to make a change. What are they afraid of? A worse result? You can't get much worse than when your players don't have confidence in what you're doing. They will not get to, much lrdd win a Super Bowl under him in my opinion. C’mon! Look at these defenses that are left and look at ours…... no comparison.

Second of all, special teams. This to me was a no-brainer after last year but the Packers basically did nothing. That kind of follows the definition of insanity-can't do nothing and expect better results. The only Shining Star was Mason Crosby. He hit on 100% of his field goals including 4 over 50 yards. Great job Mason. Well done! Their punyer is ranking in the bottom half of the league and is still very inconsistent. Coverage teams are at best so so and the return teams continue to be deplorable. Again you can't make it to the Superbowl with units like this. Make changes! They were not afraid to make changes to get rid of Mike McCarthy, you can't be afraid to make changes here. Let Matt LaFleur pick out his defensive coordinator or we will just continue to be the cream of the crap.

MolineGeneseo12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree totally, Mike Pettine has got to go. The defense is so predictable and an experienced franchise QB (ug Tom Brady) will rip it apart. The coverage man to man on wideout at end of half was unacceptable, what is he thinking dah, keep the receivers in front of you, hale mary prevent, even a grade school coach could figure that out. Kevin King has got to go also, the guy is so hot and cold and maybe get 10-12 games out of him due to injuries.

As a 60 year Packer fan, a common thread is poor defenses, these coaches make good money and if the results don't live up to expectations, ship them out, its a results driven business. 3/4, 4/3 defense change the schemes up, analyze the opponents QB accordingly, pocket passer like Brady can not give him 2-3 seconds to throw he'll **** and dunk to back out of backfield, or short crossing patterns to move chains. Analyze ie, the oppenents QB strengths and put appropriate personnel groupings in to address. What happened to the occassional corner or safety blitz to QB blind side ie. LeRoy Butler. Our inside push along with our edge rush and/or run defense is lacking, set the edge and LB needs to clean up the play.

We can't rely on our offense to week in weekout out score our opponents, give Rodgers more weapons WR.
Look at historically SuperBowl winners have good defenses. I think we have a good HC, but I think GM should be on a short lease prove it contract 2021 season or gone along with Murphy, have no idea what that guy does?? Will be watching closely this upcoming season that basically is a year round business, Packer fans pay rediculously high amounts of money for tickets, gear, concessions, hotels etc., now it's time for a SuperBowl Championship anything less is a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts