Defending Janis

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Three years? This will be his third season upcoming. And let's not forget that for most of his rookie training camp he was down with the shingles. In reality, this year's training camp will only be his second full camp.

And yet he finds himself behind Ty Montgomery, who has had only one (injury shortened) season.

The time for excuses is over; This is a make-or-break season for Janis. I'm rooting for him, but he has to prove it to the Packers now.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I can guarantee you he will make the 53...I'll put money on that. Who remembers Jordys first two years? Yea i can't remember much either. I'm not saying he's Jordy but no one ever reply could tell how good Jordy would be until he saw more snaps and PT. I even remember him seeing time as a kick returner as well before he really got thrust into the offense being behind Driver, Jennings and Jones.

Who remembers Aaron Rodgers first few years? I think it's a big stretch comparing Janis and his first 2 years to Jordy's first 2 years and then extrapolating that into saying Janis could be.....

Jordy was stuck on a depth chart behind Driver and Jennings and still caught 55 passes for 686 in his first 2 years. Jordy looked good pretty much right out of the gate, of course being a 2nd round pick out of a Div. 1 program you would expect that. Jordy learned the playbook and how to be a top notch wide receiver in practice and through his limited snaps while biding his time before starting. I think if you poled coaches after Jordy's first 2 seasons and asked for their impressions of his future as a Green Bay Packer, the comments would be much different then those we still hear about Janis.

The most telling thing for me about Janis and the coaches lack of confidence in him at WR occurred last year in October. Due to injuries at the WR position, Abby is promoted from the practice squad and despite probably being rusty from recovering from injury is given the nod over Janis. Then, it took the Packers being down to 3 healthy WR's (Jones, Abby, Janis) in the AZ game, before Janis actually saw significant playing time and passes coming his way.

Again, I really hope Janis turns into the next Jordy. But he earned a spot on the roster because of his potential, kept his roster spot due to his great play at gunner, but still needs to step his game up a whole lot at WR to be in the mix at that position.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Some of you guys crack me up haha. Jeff Janis is not only the biggest wr we have...he's probably top 3 fastest out of the group. ..probably really only behind Davis. He was not only our best gunner but he's actually not a bad kick returner either. Him and Davis will probably take over those duties full time. All this he will be cut hooblah is crazy. Jarrett Bush stuck around forever simply because he was solid as a gunner and nothing else. I know Janis is a far better football player than Bush was.

If I was a betting man I'd say Janis sees a lot more reps at wr than what some of you think he will. He had a good game against the Cardinals secondary...not the the Saints. Cardinals pass defense was top 10. Two of those guys went to the pro bowl.

I wont be shocked at all if Janis is starting opposite Jordy this coming season.

There's absolutely no doubt Janis will make the roster because of his performance on special teams.

I'm convinced he won't start opposite of Nelson though. While he had a great game against the Cardinals the Packers drafting Davis, a receiver with exactly the same skill set, should tell you a whole lot about the front office's take on Janis as a receiver.

Three years? This will be his third season upcoming. And let's not forget that for most of his rookie training camp he was down with the shingles. In reality, this year's training camp will only be his second full camp.

He missed one and a half of the offseason because of it. Hardly what I consider any meaningful time.

D

Deleted member 6794

The most telling thing for me about Janis and the coaches lack of confidence in him at WR occurred last year in October. Due to injuries at the WR position, Abby is promoted from the practice squad and despite probably being rusty from recovering from injury is given the nod over Janis.

Especially as Abbrederis actually missed all but a couple of practices during his first two training camps.

Sky King

Reaction score
And yet he finds himself behind Ty Montgomery, who has had only one (injury shortened) season.

The time for excuses is over; This is a make-or-break season for Janis. I'm rooting for him, but he has to prove it to the Packers now.
Well, as long as we completely ignore any contributions he makes on STs.

BTW, what excuses are you referring to?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt Janis will make the roster because of his performance on special teams.

I'm convinced he won't start opposite of Nelson though. While he had a great game against the Cardinals the Packers drafting Davis, a receiver with exactly the same skill set, should tell you a whole lot about the front office's take on Janis as a receiver.

He missed one and a half of the offseason because of it. Hardly what I consider any meaningful time.
I'm not sure what you mean about "exact same skill set"...their combine numbers were close, but Janis is 2 inches taller and about 30 pounds heavier. But I agree that they are not likely going into the season expecting Janis to be a meaningful contributor, and were looking to add some speed.

Brendon12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keeping seven WR this year, how will that work out? Will that help Rodgers out a lot?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not sure what you mean about "exact same skill set"...their combine numbers were close, but Janis is 2 inches taller and about 30 pounds heavier.

Davis is mostly a speedy deep threat just like Janis, who hasn't been able to use his size or weight to take advantage of it so far.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Keeping seven WR this year, how will that work out? Will that help Rodgers out a lot?

I would not be a fan of carrying 7 WR's on the 53 man roster. That is overstocking the position by 1-2 guys and will take away from the depth of other positions as well. Only way I could ever see that happening is if all 7 are far too talented to release, can't sneak 1 on PS and 2 of them are heavy contributors to special teams.

Brendon12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be a fan of carrying 7 WR's on the 53 man roster. That is overstocking the position by 1-2 guys and will take away from the depth of other positions as well. Only way I could ever see that happening is if all 7 are far too talented to release 1 or sneak them on PS and/or 2 of them are heavy contributors to special teams.

unless they wanna go full Air Raid with 7 I don't see the need. The 3rd slot though is up for grabs after Nelson and Cobb I would guess.

D

Deleted member 6794

The only way the Packers keep seven receivers is because at least one if them is too valuable on special teams to release but won't contribute anything on offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
unless they wanna go full Air Raid with 7 I don't see the need. The 3rd slot though is up for grabs after Nelson and Cobb I would guess.

I'm sure someone has the stats, but it seems the Packers tend to use 3-4 WR's during an injury free game. So even carrying 6 WR's is a luxury IMO. With the addition of Cook and his speed, I am picturing a lot of 3 WR sets; Jordy, Cobb and whoever wins the #3 spot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Captain, am guessing you know the answer to this. I don't think any of the WR's on the 53 man roster from last year have any PS eligibility left correct? I could see Abby being able to be safely put on it, but doubt he still can be.

Sky King

Reaction score
Davis is mostly a speedy deep threat just like Janis, who hasn't been able to use his size or weight to take advantage of it so far.
He's made several noteworthy plays during his brief career that deserve to be acknowledged.
*cough cough* "Janis"?
Do you have any predictions on what the over and under should be in each of these categories (for Janis): catches, total yards, and TDs?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do you have any predictions on what the over and under should be in each of these categories (for Janis): catches, total yards, and TDs?

Honestly. I hope I am wrong. But I don't see Janis seeing the field much on offense, unless there are injuries. I know people are excited about him, especially after the Arizona game. But if you look at his body of work prior to those 2 hail mary-give a lot of credit to Rodgers-catches, I am not that impressed. So if I was a betting man (on Sports) I would be putting money on any unders as far as Janis offensive stats go. I see guys on that roster at WR that just plain have a lot more overall talent then him when it comes to all the tools required to play WR in the NFL. Can he learn those things? Sure its possible, but how long do you give him and to what extent do you play him when you have 3-4 other guys that have just as good, if not better of a shot at becoming good?

Who knows, maybe that Arizona game gave him, AR and the coaches the confidence they were lacking in him and along with another off season with the playbook and working on routes will prove doubters like me wrong, I hope so!

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyperbole much?

And why would it be shocking? Who else do we have that is a stone cold lock to start opposite Jordy? Nobody. So in other words, that spot is wide open.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying Janis is the second coming or anything, but fact is, that spot opposite Jordy is 100% totally up for grabs and Janis has as good chance as anyone to grab it.

Well in a 2 WR set there still is Cobb. So that would be the starter opposite Jordy and hense the use of hyperbole because no the spot is not up for grabs.

If your going to consider the #3 WR a starter it still would be shocking to see a guy that couldn't get on the field untill literally all but 2 other WRs got hurt and still hasn't shown the ability to run a route consistently jump not one, not two but three other guys on the roster that the coaching staff has shown more trust in.

You might as well say I wouldn't be shocked to see Abby as a starter. That'd actually be slightly more realistic as the coaches have shown more faith in him then they have in Janis

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm sure someone has the stats, but it seems the Packers tend to use 3-4 WR's during an injury free game. So even carrying 6 WR's is a luxury IMO. With the addition of Cook and his speed, I am picturing a lot of 3 WR sets; Jordy, Cobb and whoever wins the #3 spot.
The other side of the argument is what happened last year. We lost our #1 WR before the opening Shot was fired. We lost arguably our #4 (Montgomery)WR
6 weeks later. We also also had our #2 (Cobb) playing injured oIt of the gate. Injuries have to be factored into the equation so having 6 WR is not overkill. I'm confident We'd carry 7 if we had a 56 man roster or didn't have other positional needs (OL depth and 3rd string QB etc)
Which, btw, we also learned the hard way not to go skimpy at QB unless we want to resign old "Groin Pull" Wallace mid season. Lol. Just being sarcastic there of course

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean about "exact same skill set"...their combine numbers were close, but Janis is 2 inches taller and about 30 pounds heavier. But I agree that they are not likely going into the season expecting Janis to be a meaningful contributor, and were looking to add some speed.
Jordy has been 6'3" 217 since he was drafted. Janis is listed at 6'3" 219.

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever happens I believe we will be stacked at WR this season. Personally I think Janis makes the team easily and has a break out year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember Jordy's first 2 years. I remember thinking after year 1 that he was going to be really good. Every pass they threw to him he caught and they were always important throws. lots of 3rd down conversions to a rookie WR or TD's. I remember him standing out quite well.

My biggest memories of Nelson's first two years was his noticeable reluctance to go across the middle and his timidity in that part of the field. He got past that to his credit as he matured as a receiver.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest memories of Nelson's first two years was his noticeable reluctance to go across the middle and his timidity in that part of the field. He got past that to his credit as he matured as a receiver.

I remember neither him or Jones being able to catch

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis has wonderful athletic gifts. He still needs to learn how to consistently run a pass route, and after three years in the system, that has to be a genuine concern. Much of his success on offense has come on ad-lib plays, and while that's valuable, I don't think you can count on that. I agree his special teams expertise will keep him on the roster, but until he masters route-running, he's not going to be a big part of the offense.

Have you watched a single Packer game the past 5 years? They are the kings of ad-lib plays, Rodgers bases his entire game around it, often ignoring w open receivers in the short part of the field buying time to get the big play.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm sure someone has the stats, but it seems the Packers tend to use 3-4 WR's during an injury free game. So even carrying 6 WR's is a luxury IMO.

Before last season the Packers had only four active receivers on game day. With Nelson's injury and the unit struggling for most of 2015 the coaching staff decided to have five WRs on the game day roster for most games.

With Cook and Rodgers capable of catching balls as well and Jordy hopefully returning to full strength I expect the offense to get back to using four WRs for the majority of the season.

Captain, am guessing you know the answer to this. I don't think any of the WR's on the 53 man roster from last year have any PS eligibility left correct? I could see Abby being able to be safely put on it, but doubt he still can be.

Aside of Nelson and Cobb every receiver currently on the Packers roster is eligible for the practice squad. The league implemented a rule allowing a team to sign a maximum of two players who have accrued no more than two seasons of free agency credit to the PS some years ago. Most of the ones having a chance to make an impact with the Packers would be picked up immediately though.

He's made several noteworthy plays during his brief career that deserve to be acknowledged.

Janis has a total of only 11 receptions during his two years with the Packers. I can't remember a single one on which he used his huge frame to take advantage of it.

Well in a 2 WR set there still is Cobb. So that would be the starter opposite Jordy and hense the use of hyperbole because no the spot is not up for grabs.

Cobb will start in the slot with Adams, Janis and Davis competing for the spot on the perimeter opposite of Nelson. The Packers hardly use two receiver sets.

Members online

Latest posts