Dave Pompei--Yahoo Sports Draft grade

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers -- A+
With linebackers A.J. Hawk and Abdul Hodge, the Packers have the beginnings of a defense that could dominate the NFC North for years.

Highest grade.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think in the next couple of days, as people look at what teams did....people will see GB really did a fantastic job.

OP
OP
P

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly believe the Pack got the TWO BEST LB in the draft. HOdge is better than Sims and Greenway.

Ingle Martin a good punter and good back up. Good O-Linemen. Couple good WR. I know I am biased, but this is FAR FAR FAR better than last year...and Aarron...BLUCK

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If these Defensive predictions are correct ( crossing fingers ) the pressure will be off Brett to score so many points. I am stating the obvious but this would be a very good thing !!!

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our LBers will become the most feared in the NFL!! :D

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta love the LB set....Hawk, Barnett and Hodge. I missed the Hodge pick and just about shat myself when I came back and saw the pick.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny that in the draft most teams don't put a lot of value on LBs, but every great defense in the NFL has great LBs. We have a very competitive group and it will be difficult just to make the roster for some solid players:
Barnett, Hawk, Hodge, Thomas, Poppinga, Manning, Taylor, Campbell. Most likely Campbell and Thomas will have the most difficult time making the roster, but those are a couple of good players in the mix.

A position of weakness quickly became the position of strength on a young, improving defense. The majority of TT's offseason moves (all the big ones) have focused on creating a strong defense. It's obvious the direction he wants the Packers to go. This is a solid young defense ready to make a difference.

GO PACK GO!!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lendale White will have an abbreviated and lackluster career, IMHO. Not a lot of dedication to the guy....played on the best team in the nation for several years and NEVER seems to have worked hard at anything.

The NFL will be a cold *****-slap of reality to that guy.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could be right, or his draft day slide could be a wake up call. I'm probably getting stuck on name recognition, but I just can't shake the feeling that we may have been better off with White than Colledge.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing I like about the linemen we selected is the following words used in their descriptions: mean, nasty, explosive, athletic, intelligent.

Colledge has a mean streak a mile wide from everything I have read...hits until the whistle blows, and is from the truly "Frozen Tundra" of North Pole, Alaska. A perfect fit.

As someone said earlier, all of our selections have years of college production, national/conference/team recognition, and from all accounts, decent intelligence and character.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs...that's what impresses me about colledge too...adds an attitude that I feel we lost with Wahle.

And like you said...these are solid FOOTBALL players (not worried about their 40 stats) with great character...for the most part, I'm very happy with this draft.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
The thing I like about the linemen we selected is the following words used in their descriptions: mean, nasty, explosive, athletic, intelligent.

Colledge has a mean streak a mile wide from everything I have read...hits until the whistle blows, and is from the truly "Frozen Tundra" of North Pole, Alaska. A perfect fit.

As someone said earlier, all of our selections have years of college production, national/conference/team recognition, and from all accounts, decent intelligence and character.

Yea, you gotta love it. This guy is a great pick.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nothing else, this team will reflect the tenacity and toughness with which TT had to display daily to carve out a 12 year career in the NFL as an undrafted FA.

F@ck 40s and verticals....I want guys who are mean, nasty, and accountable for their effort. We signed a bunch of those guys.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing I don't like about Colledge is that in some of the scouting reports I read, he was described as needing to learn how to bend his knees (i.e. play with better leverage). I like what I hear about his attitude and nasty streak, but I'm always concerned when lineman need to work on leverage.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colledge started 52 straight games and holds 3 of his schools weight lifting records. His coaches say he is very coachable and he had a 30 on the Wonderlic score. He also was the fastest in the 40 among OL's with 4.95.

I have not seen it but was told he was captain of his team for 3 years and was very solid on his technique.

The Packers appear to have their starting LG and future OT holes filled with this pick.

He is the third best OL of the draft behind Ferguson and Joseph.

Hawk also is an instant starter
Hodge should be starting sometime during the season if not right away. We were very lucky he fell to the 3rd round.

After the pick of Hodge I said to myself this is a great draft.
My only complaints on the draft are:

The trading down of the 3rd 3rd round pick.
Drafting a QB.

I have seen Hawk, Colledge, and Hodge play and am very happy.

Jennings, Spitz, Rodgers, Blackmon, Martin, Moll, Jolly, Culver, and Tollefson play so I will reserve judgement on them.

I like to think of Barry, Ferguson, and both Whites being bumped off the roster because of this draft.

Thompson may be able to trade away Thomas or Taylor, Carroll, and Klemm before the season starts and thus stockpiling picks for next year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Although Colledge has never played guard, the Packers would have taken him over any guard in the draft. He went third behind Oklahoma's Davin Joseph and Southern California's Deuce Lutui, neither of whom interested Green Bay.

In fact, Philbin ( o-line coach) said he liked Colledge as much if not more than any lineman in the draft except tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

From jsonline

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As opposed to the Queens, who took Tavaris Jackson by trading two 3rds away....I'm sorry, that would be by PISSING away two 3rds.

Kid would have been a 5 - 7 or a FA...but the Queens...well...glad we do not operate like them.

Pack did well top to bottom.

OP
OP
P

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
California, we needed a QB in a bad way (only 2 on the roster right now).

INGLE MARTIN...that man had a great great combine, plus he he is a great punter. He is very underrated watch what this guy can do if he gets the chance he WILL be a pleasant suprise.

BrettFavre4MVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
I'm just concerned we're going to regret passing on LenDale White in favour of that Tackle from Boise St.
LenDale is an intriguing prospect, but he can't run without a line, just like most RBs. Colledge will come in and start at left guard from day 1 (I'm predicting it), and our offensive line will be much improved without the revolving doors we had in at guard last season.

When you really think about it, everything you want to do on offense starts with a good line. We had no running game last year, and Favre was sacked twice as many times as two years ago (consequently, he set a career high for interceptions). A good offensive line is worth its weight in gold.

Members online

Latest posts