Dallas Goedert

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just wanted to throw up a thread on one of my favorite tight end prospects in a while. I think we can all agree a talented pass catcher at tight end could really put this offense over the top. My favorite prospect at that position right now is Dallas. He comes from a smaller school, but his tape is really legit and I expect him to test very well at the combine. Very much reminds me of a Travis Kelce/Zach Ertz hybrid. I don't know if he's going to last, but I'd love to grab him in the second.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/dallas-goedert?id=2559850

Edit: Throwing up a highlight reel since I know people love them.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You know, normally I look at highlight reels and say "yeah...not bad, but wonder how he would do in the NFL". Toss in those highlight reels of guys playing at small schools and it takes even more to impress. But I will say this, Goedert is impressive! Some of what he did wouldn't matter if it was Ohio State or Alabama he was up against, the guy can catch a ball and move some bodies! Reminds me of Zach Ertz.

Here I was all about Fumagalli in the 3rd round, but this guy might be worth grabbing if he is still available in the 2nd round. Looks like he is being projected as a late 1st to early 3rd pick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's got some hands that's for sure. Some impressive catches there. Needs to get a bit stronger though or he's just a big WR

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was fortunate enough to see him live.

Great hands. Uses his body well. I didn't come away thinking he was really fast for a TE. He's definitely a good one.

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The TE position needs a major overhaul. I have always been a Lance Kendrick fan and liked his signing over Bennett. This is a position I feel needs multiple draft picks. I have said on this board I am a big Troy Fumegalli fan and if available in the second round he should be selected. I did like this video of Goedert and the more information I get on him I like. The traditional West coast offense needs a TE that can stretch the field and move the chains. This position needs to be upgraded through FA or the draft.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The TE position needs a major overhaul. I have always been a Lance Kendrick fan and liked his signing over Bennett. This is a position I feel needs multiple draft picks. I have said on this board I am a big Troy Fumegalli fan and if available in the second round he should be selected. I did like this video of Goedert and the more information I get on him I like. The traditional West coast offense needs a TE that can stretch the field and move the chains. This position needs to be upgraded through FA or the draft.
Well said. Except I don't like anything the FA class has to offer. Either very talented young guys who are too much of injury risks or a way too expensive guy on the decline.

Goedert is certainly what this offense could use, a TE who can stretch the field. Love how he caught the ball in traffic over his head. That is a tough thing to do.

Another guy I'm pulling for is Schultz in the 3rd. Not much stats, didn't get many opportunities at Stanford to catch. Seems to do everything well though and is probably the best blocker. I think he can be a very good receiver as well.

If TT was still in charge I would lean towards Gisicki of Penn State, looks like a TT guy. A surprise could be Caleb Wilson who has the tools and if he didn't get injured would be in the conversation of Hurst and Andrews, who will both be great options if they somehow are there at our 2nd.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said. Except I don't like anything the FA class has to offer. Either very talented young guys who are too much of injury risks or a way too expensive guy on the decline.

Goedert is certainly what this offense could use, a TE who can stretch the field. Love how he caught the ball in traffic over his head. That is a tough thing to do.

Another guy I'm pulling for is Schultz in the 3rd. Not much stats, didn't get many opportunities at Stanford to catch. Seems to do everything well though and is probably the best blocker. I think he can be a very good receiver as well.

If TT was still in charge I would lean towards Gisicki of Penn State, looks like a TT guy. A surprise could be Caleb Wilson who has the tools and if he didn't get injured would be in the conversation of Hurst and Andrews, who will both be great options if they somehow are there at our 2nd.

Absolutely agree that the tight end position needs to be restocked. There's a few guys that would be great project tight ends if we match them up with someone who can contribute right away. Like Jordan Akins from UCF and Jordan Thomas from Miss St. Akins is more polished, but I'm concerned about his 40 time being in the upper 4.8-4.9. Jordan Thomas is a mess, but has all the physical tools. I didn't get to watch Schultz, but I'll check out some tape when I get time.

Hayden Hurst is the second most intriguing tight end in this class for me. He's literally good at everything and was asked to do everything. He's a good blocker, receiver, and played some H-back as well as FB. He looks like his 40 time will be quite fast for a tight end too.

Mark Andrews is a great receiving threat, but his blocking is awful!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if Fumagalli wasn't from Wisconsin most of y'all wouldn't like him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if Fumagalli wasn't from Wisconsin most of y'all wouldn't like him.

Yeah appears all those draftniks and the media must be homers from Wisconsin. Same group who were probably so damn high on bust Melvin Gordon. ;)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah appears all those draftniks and the media must be homers from Wisconsin. Same group who were probably so damn high on bust Melvin Gordon. ;)

Using Melvin Gordon, who has never averaged more than 4 ypc in a season, as a positive argument is a bold move. Very bold.

Ask @dantes his thoughts about Gordon. He's quite familiar with the Chargers if I remember correctly.

Anyways, Fumagalli is an average blocker, isn't fast, mediocre route runner, and doesn't use his length as well as he should when receiving. He's just ok to me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Using Melvin Gordon, who has never averaged more than 4 ypc in a season, as a positive argument is a bold move. Very bold.

Ask @dantes his thoughts about Gordon. He's quite familiar with the Chargers if I remember correctly.

Anyways, Fumagalli is an average blocker, isn't fast, mediocre route runner, and doesn't use his length as well as he should when receiving. He's just ok to me.

Yeah, it would suck to have a RB that has been very healthy, averaged 1500 all purpose yards and 12 TD's in each of the last 2 years on the Packers, total bust that Melvin.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I see what you're saying and I know a lot of people can be homers with Wisconsin players, but I'm actually a Georgia fan and besides Hayden Hurst, Fumagalli is the most complete tight end in this class. Now, I'm not saying he's the best tight end, but he can block, run routes, and has terrific hands. Goedert, Andrews, and Gesicki are more receivers and don't really have the ability to block just yet. Fumagalli isn't the most athletically gifted player, but he's savvy and finds ways to get open. It's not just Wisconsin homers this time.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it would suck to have a RB that has been very healthy, averaged 1500 all purpose yards and 12 TD's in each of the last 2 years on the Packers, total bust that Melvin.

He has been productive because of volume, not efficiency. Just for example, Gordon averages a TD every 28.5 touches, Jamaal Williams averages a TD every 29.6 touches.

Is he a bust? No. Was he worth a first round pick, let alone trading up for a first? No.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He has been productive because of volume, not efficiency. Just for example, Gordon averages a TD every 28.5 touches, Jamaal Williams averages a TD every 29.6 touches.

Is he a bust? No. Was he worth a first round pick, let alone trading up for a first? No.

and my point was......Melvin Gordon got some hype because he was a pretty good football player, not just because he was a Badger. Same with Fumagalli.

Yes, you are going to hear more hype about local guys in a place like this, because some of us are more familiar with them. But I am guessing that is the same for any top 5 guy at their position in whatever college town they are from.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see what you're saying and I know a lot of people can be homers with Wisconsin players, but I'm actually a Georgia fan and besides Hayden Hurst, Fumagalli is the most complete tight end in this class. Now, I'm not saying he's the best tight end, but he can block, run routes, and has terrific hands. Goedert, Andrews, and Gesicki are more receivers and don't really have the ability to block just yet. Fumagalli isn't the most athletically gifted player, but he's savvy and finds ways to get open. It's not just Wisconsin homers this time.

Look, I don't think he's bad, I just think he's meh. To me, he's ok at everything, not exactly good at anything.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fumagali imo looks like a nice second TE. He can block, has good hands and can high point the ball and use his body to shield defenders from the ball. On the down side, he doesn't separate all that well and his YAC are mediocre. If the Packers can get him at the end of the third with a comp pick I would love it. While I'm a Badger fan, familiarity means that a player's talents and weaknesses are well known and there should be less hype.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Gordon was one more player in a long line of overrated Wisconsin running backs.

He’s a decent talent, but the Badgers made him look way better than he is, as their system is wont to do. The Chargers, being pathetic, fell for it and actually traded up to get him.

He’s of a caliber that’s worthy to get the lion’s share of a committee backfield, but not special in any way. His numbers look better of late because the Chargers use him a lot on the goal line. Touchdowns bring notariety but there a lousy indicator of ability.

But there’s a reason why undrafted guys like Anthony Ekeler can come in and carve out a role in which they’re clearly better than him.

Wisconsin is a great program and has put a lot of talent into the NFL, especially on the OL, but their backs are generally fool’s gold.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gordon was one more player in a long line of overrated Wisconsin running backs.

Wisconsin is a great program and has put a lot of talent into the NFL, especially on the OL, but their backs are generally fool’s gold.

Yup, just like James White and Corey Clement. Why would any team give those 2 guys jobs?

While I admit that with as great of O-lineman as the Badgers seem to put into the NFL, the "greatness of their running backs might be inflated a bit. However, if you are writing a story about Wisconsin RB's and are going to hang your hat on using Ron Dayne and Montee Ball as your proof that the Badgers have turned out a long line of overrated backs, I think you are writing a pretty weak script.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we look at history, can' we say Fumagali will be a good TE base on Kendricks and Owen Daniels?

My thinking, by the way, is Jonathan Taylor is going to be the best pro RB the Badgers have produced.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If we look at history, can' we say Fumagali will be a good TE base on Kendricks and Owen Daniels?

My thinking, by the way, is Jonathan Taylor is going to be the best pro RB the Bashers have produced.

I will say the Badgers notoriously produce pretty quality Offensive lineman, but I am pretty certain someone could come up with the names of a few guys that would disprove that "theory". No guarantees really when it comes to any position or player coming out of any college.

Taylor does look special for sure. He will benefit from all the starters on offense, except Fumagalli, being back in 2018. The Badger offense could be really good with Taylor and the group of WR's that they have coming back, especially if Hornibook steps up his game a notch. Wouldn't shock me if Taylor hits 2000 yards, declares for the NFL as a sophomore and is a top 5 pick in the 2019 draft.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say the Badgers notoriously produce pretty quality Offensive lineman, but I am pretty certain someone could come up with the names of a few guys that would disprove that "theory". No guarantees really when it comes to any position or player coming out of any college.

Taylor does look special for sure. He will benefit from all the starters on offense, except Fumagalli, being back in 2018. The Badger offense could be really good with Taylor and the group of WR's that they have coming back, especially if Hornibook steps up his game a notch. Wouldn't shock me if Taylor hits 2000 yards, declares for the NFL as a sophomore and is a top 5 pick in the 2019 draft.

Taylor was a true freshman, correct? He won't be eligible until the 2020 draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Taylor was a true freshman, correct? He won't be eligible until the 2020 draft.

Good point and YAY!!! Means he will be with the Badgers 2 more years!

Forgot that a player has to be 3 years removed from high school to be eligible to enter the NFL draft and Taylor was a true freshman.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yup, just like James White and Corey Clement. Why would any team give those 2 guys jobs?

While I admit that with as great of O-lineman as the Badgers seem to put into the NFL, the "greatness of their running backs might be inflated a bit. However, if you are writing a story about Wisconsin RB's and are going to hang your hat on using Ron Dayne and Montee Ball as your proof that the Badgers have turned out a long line of overrated backs, I think you are writing a pretty weak script.

It's longer than that. Since 2000, five Wisconsin backs have been drafted in the top 3 rounds: Dayne, Ball, Bennett, Calhoun, Gordon. All of them failed to make good on the draft investment. Their college production was the primary argument in their favor. Dayne and Ball are obvious. Bennett had a great single year and never topped 500 yards again. Calhoun did nothing. Gordon was hyped as a franchise talent after making a living at Wisconsin on jet sweeps and outside zone. He doesn't have the juice to do that in the NFL when the blocking in front of him isn't as good, thus he's a pedestrian player who was drafted to be a star.

James White is different in that he was not overdrafted. I'm not anti-Wisconsin backs. The point is not that they can't play. I'm just saying that the system and OL talent in Madison pads their stats and gets them overdrafted routinely. It's a pattern. For some reason, White's hype over production stayed under control and he was a fine draft pick (may it was his size).

What's funny to me about Clement is that I actually suggested that the Packers take him in the ~5th round based on his measurables, and the same crowd that normally pumps up the Badger prospects assured me that he would be a wasted pick. So much for that.

EDIT: It's no different than looking at air-raid offensive systems in college and realizing you shouldn't overreact to QB stats in those programs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts