D-line

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I posted a topic about drafting Mario or Hawk and we all hashed it out pretty well. Now, I would like to know what everyones opinions on our current d-line are and what can we do to improve.

I think our D-line is average, but progressing. We have some players with sub-par skills but high energy and drive (Jenkins, Cole, and Williams). We have solid players in Kampmann, Jackson, and KGB. And then we have the unknowns in Peterson, Washington, and Montgomery. Montgomery impressed me in limited action last year. He already plays the run better than KGB.

Assuming Jackson and Kampmann are back, do any of you feel we need improvement here, and if so what can be done?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need another "fatboy" that can get penetration UP THE MIDDLE. I don't think Jackson can go full time all season. Our biggest problem the last two years is the lack of push up the middle. QB's have been able to step up into a well-defined pocket to escape any outside rush from the ends. I like Jenkins but I don't know if he is more suited for DE or DT. If we can get push up the middle, KGB gets back to the 15 sacks per season. As it is now his outside speed rush (which is the only move he has) is just negated when the QB steps up into the pocket.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
? What does the Pack run a 3-4 or 4-3if we run a 3-4 I think keeping grady is key. But 4-3 you can generally get away with smaller DT.

On a side note I use a 2-5 in Madden 06 works pretty good made a whole defensive sheme with it. For the last 5 seasons my D has been ranked anywhere from 2nd to 6th overall. 1st and second against the pass and usually 5th to 10th against the run.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is what one of the formations looks like

FS SS
CB1 CB2
MLB
OLB OLB
OLB OLB

DT DT
WR T G C G T TE WR
QB
FB
RB

Kinda like this works pretty good Bellechik used something like in the Super Bowl when he was with the Giants. Sorry doesnt show up right but if you quate it you casn see it.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our "D" line is respectable for the most part. It makes a difference when Grady shows up to play. I know there's a lot of heat on KGB being weak against the run but I also feel that part of this is he doesn't get the strong support behind him from Carroll or the LB. I recall that second Vikes game especially. They killed us going around KGB's side the whole second half but where were the other guys?

When your MLB is making a million tackles it means the other LB's are not and Barnett is not always going to be able to slice in there and make a tackle for no gain.

This "D" calls on the LB's for a lot and I don't think we got that from those guys this last year and that had as much to do with our weak run "D" as anything else.

Many games I saw the interior line holding it's own on runs between the tackles but we were getting beat around tackle and I put that on the guys out there not getting it done. If Barnett didn't get over there and do something it usually ended up in a good gain. Our other LB's and CB's were making the tackles but 5, 6, or more yards down field.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I concur. I'd like to see on the D-line either another big DT or talented DE. We do need another impact LB on the outside as well. Barnett is the LB group. The opposing Offenses typically beat to the edges in the run game as opposed to up the gut, even when Grady was having a breather. I think Montgomery will be special some day. The problem we have is we have so many "tweeners" in the heart of the line. Not super huge for a pure DT yet not quick enough as a DE. This is where a good outside LB will help, if we do nothing with the D-Line. Once Barnett gets caught up with blockers an additional 5 yards are picked up by the time our Will or Sam LB gets there.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard Rumors Johny Abraham is looking to get out of the JETS organization. He would be a good fit for the Pack

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman,Jenkins,(a fat guy), and (a DE who can play pass and rush)

and we're good. we're halfway there. and we got a lot of young men who could fill (maybe) both roles.