Curious on Packers embracing technology

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw an article on NFL.com that discusses the NFL's recent decision to distribute in-game player tracking data. Part that I'm curious about is this "Some teams have dedicated more resources to analyzing the data than others, and thus figure to get far more use out of the league-wide data. That has led to pushback in recent years from less-invested clubs about distributing any data because of the potential competitive impact." Does anyone know where the Packers fall on this line? Is this something that fans could possibly know? I'm always curious if teams I follow are embracing technological change or insisting on "old-school" methods. Link to the article below.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...t-leaguewide-data-from-ingame-player-tracking

This isn't meant to be a commentary on the overall organization, just curious if Packers are a club embracing this, or pushing back against it.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The data is common. If some teams choose not to invest and look into it, it's their problem.

We have a guy called Mike Halbeck who is in charge of Tech Analysis, but not sure how well funded he is. Been a video intern before. Going by his background, we seem to be not so vested in this.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The data is common. If some teams choose not to invest and look into it, it's their problem.

We have a guy called Mike Halbeck who is in charge of Tech Analysis, but not sure how well funded he is. Been a video intern before. Going by his background, we seem to be not so vested in this.

The Packers now have 4 employees in their football Technology analysis department.

The director of the Football Technology is Mike Halback
Ryan Feder football technology Analysis
Conor Lewis football technology analysis
Chris Gaines Football Technology analysis assistant

In 2014 The Packers start using a Australian based Tech firm to study
using GPS technology to study players injuries.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Data analytics is a whole science of it's own. For a NFL team, I'd believe it's take.more than 4 guys to do justice. Track workrate, speed, performance against opponents, by specific packages and plays etc....it's vast. I'd say a 20 people team minimum. They are not highly paid anyway...

Reaction score
I think we should come with nicknames for them to break them in.. :cool: I'll start

Ryan "The Shredder" Feder

D

Deleted member 6794

Data analytics is a whole science of it's own. For a NFL team, I'd believe it's take.more than 4 guys to do justice. Track workrate, speed, performance against opponents, by specific packages and plays etc....it's vast. I'd say a 20 people team minimum. They are not highly paid anyway...

It's tough to figure out how many people are actually working for other teams analyzing data but it seems the Eagles only have three. Therefore I believe the Packers are set up fine in that area.

OP
OP
S

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Always interesting to see what teams are embracing technology and which teams are, how to phrase it, more traditional. Really hoping the Packers are or will be one of the more advanced clubs in this regard but that needs to come from front office and coaches.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I look forward to future threads where we rant that the data analysis team needs to be fired.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Going by his background, we seem to be not so vested in this.

Clip from behind this paywall:
Eayrs said there are essentially three different ownership approaches on such matters: highly competitive teams that invest freely to win, teams with a spend-with-responsibility approach that invest as costs come down and teams that won’t spend until the league essentially mandates it.
Eayrs counts the Packers in the first group. This is where not having an owner, and thus investing all profits back into football and the franchise’s financial future, can be to their advantage.
Teams have been getting their own game data the last two years, so the more progressive already have been working on analyzing the information for a year or two.
“My best guess is (the Packers) are way ahead of the curve,” said Eayrs, who retired in September 2015.
Mike Eayrs was the Packers’ former director of research and development, and one of the first great analytics experts in league history.
The Packers have been one of the more progressive teams in the league in implementing technology and analytics – they hired Eayrs in 2001, and coach Mike McCarthy was one of the early adopters using GPS tracking in practice, mainly to monitor workloads for injury prevention.
But McCarthy also has warned in the past of information pollution. Too much information can overwhelm, so the challenge for teams will be working with their analysts to bring meaning to the mounds of raw data.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts