Credit for a Completed Pass

Reaction score
With great receivers and quarterbacks in football, who has more talent when a pass is completed,
the quarterback or the receiver?

It seems to me there's more talk about the quarterback these days.

Your Thoughts Please

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Dependent variables. A great QB can make average receivers look better than they are and the reverse is also true. What about the O-Line giving a QB time or the schemes and play calling by the coach to get a receiver open? Without Lombardi, the Packers of the 60s may be just a footnote in NFL history. If Joe Montana had been drafted by Tampa Bay he probably would be just another Joe.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I felt like Calvin Johnson was amazing but Stafford didn’t get any credit till he was declining.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh, tough one. All I can think of at the moment is Gregg Jennings. Rodgers made him a great WR. He didn’t fare as well when he left the Packers. I guess I’d give a slight edge to the QB, but the comment about Joe Montana going to Tampa Bay instead of SF makes me wonder.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably the best answe here. Also depends on the QB. Tom Brady has always had success with a semi-rotating WR corps. But he’s Tom Brady and the coach is BB. ARod may get a chance this year to solidify the argument that it’s the QB who carries the day. On paper at least, this is one of the weakest WR groups the Packers have had in a long time. But ARod has shown a real reluctance to go to new guys. This year he may have to take a few more chances, but given his aversion to INTs, maybe not. I guess we’ll see.

D

Deleted member 6794

Probably the best answe here. Also depends on the QB. Tom Brady has always had success with a semi-rotating WR corps. But he’s Tom Brady and the coach is BB. ARod may get a chance this year to solidify the argument that it’s the QB who carries the day. On paper at least, this is one of the weakest WR groups the Packers have had in a long time. But ARod has shown a real reluctance to go to new guys. This year he may have to take a few more chances, but given his aversion to INTs, maybe not. I guess we’ll see.

While Adams, Cobb and Graham will definitely receive the majority of targets Rodgers will have to throw to either Allison or one of the rookies occasionally this season though even if he doesn't completely trust them.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
I guess the answer to my question is the quarterback who plays so many rolls in the game.
A receiver in most cases main job is to catch the ball.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Adams, Cobb and Graham will definitely receive the majority of targets Rodgers will have to throw to either Allison or one of the rookies occasionally this season though even if he doesn't completely trust them.
Agree completely. Someone, hopefully more than one, of the 3 rookies will emerge. My money is on J’mon Moore but it could be any of them. Or as I saw suggested somewhere else, put Ty Montgomery back in the slot as a WR where, IMHO, he belongs anyway. Again my opinion, but I think his injury problems come from the physical demands of the tailback position, without ever having prepared to be a RB. Jones and Williams have proven very capable, and I think it’s time to use Ty as a WR again. But yeah, whether he wants to or not, Rodgers has to go to these new guys during the season. I’m concerned about Cobb, and if an opposing D can simply focus on Adams and Graham, ARod is gonna have a hard time finding people open, other than the new faces.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
Rodgers will have to throw to either Allison or one of the rookies occasionally this season though even if he doesn't completely trust them.

I always laugh when I hear the term "trust" when it comes to a quarterback throwing the ball to certain receivers.
A quarterback's only job is to deliver the $%^& ball, if the targeted receiver continuous to drop the ball, get
his @ss out of town.

D

Deleted member 6794

Or as I saw suggested somewhere else, put Ty Montgomery back in the slot as a WR where, IMHO, he belongs anyway. Again my opinion, but I think his injury problems come from the physical demands of the tailback position, without ever having prepared to be a RB.

While the Packers should definitely use Montgomery as a receiver out of the backfield more often he's primarily a running back right now. He missed 10 games while playing WR during his rookie campaign as well.

I always laugh when I hear the term "trust" when it comes to a quarterback throwing the ball to certain receivers.
A quarterback's only job is to deliver the $%^& ball, if the targeted receiver continuous to drop the ball, get
his @ss out of town.

It doesn't matter how you want to call it but it's a fact that Rodgers is extremely reluctant targeting receivers who aren't on the same page as him. It's not about dropping the ball by the way but being in the wrong spot resulting in the pass either falling incomplete or being intercepted.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends... :)
lol. you're absolutely right. i always hate the "quarterback x makes his wr's better" talk when i hear it. does actually getting open and catching the ball make the qb better? it's a two-way street. oh sure you can pick out the odd play here and there when one will save the others @$$ but for the most part it's 50/50.

D

Deleted member 6794

lol. you're absolutely right. i always hate the "quarterback x makes his wr's better" talk when i hear it. does actually getting open and catching the ball make the qb better? it's a two-way street. oh sure you can pick out the odd play here and there when one will save the others @$$ but for the most part it's 50/50.

In my opinion it depends on the quarterback/receiver combo as well. Rodgers generally deserves more than 50% of the credit for the WRs success in Green Bay.