Courtland Sutton

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I've seen Sutton mocked to Packers in 1st round out there on the web. I think it would give us a great future at WR and the offense could certainly use the added firepower.

I've heard Julio Jones, Dez Bryant and Mike Evans comparisons. Hard not to get excited about those.

Time to give Rodgers an elite weapon. Thoughts?

cheesehead1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen Sutton mocked to Packers in 1st round out there on the web. I think it would give us a great future at WR and the offense could certainly use the added firepower.

I've heard Julio Jones, Dez Bryant and Mike Evans comparisons. Hard not to get excited about those.

Please not another Dez Bryant type, overrated and not a team player IMHO. We need to fix this D once and for all. Who we draft, I have no idea. Time to trust our new GM.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the kid may be a great player, he does not immediately make the team better. As someone else mentioned we need pass rush or corners

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure he is value at 14. I think there will be some better players available.

If we traded back a bit, I could see it.

But we should sit tight and get a better player at position that will have more impact.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imma be real blunt.

Courtland Sutton might end up being a good WR. As of right now, he is strictly a RZ threat.

It will be 2-3 years before he makes a serious impact. He's fine, but certainly not at 14.

Reaction score
While I think Courtland is one of the most exciting pass catchers in this draft, I'd prefer to go after a DE/OLB. We only get a top 15 pick once every 10 years or so (thankfully)
I feel there still will be some really good second tier WR's that may not be quite as polished, but will still be around second day that we'll have a stab at. As said somewhere before, this all depends on the FA activity, obviously if we go out and sign a top tier Veteran Corner or Veteran OLB (or Veteran WR for that matter) it changes everything

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have enough WRs. I'd like to see Geronimo play more. I'd have to say No unless one if our existing 3 highly paid WRs are moving out.

A top CB would be my choice. I don't mind trading #1 pick for a Trade involving a shut down corner.

EvAn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only offensive player I’d be fine with st 14 is that OG. The offense has ran wel under philbin with fairly the same personnel. First round needs to get a staple difference maker for Pennels new system.

Antonio Calloway could be the most talented WR in the draft and we could get him in the middle rounds due to some (quite major) red flags. But I’d take a flyer on him with a comp

Andy Burczyk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass rush or corner, please.
I think the pick needs to be spent on the defense. I believe the greatest need is getting a pass rush. We have a very good corner in King. We have spent a lot of high picks on corners. Rollins, Jackson, Randall, House...one of them needs to step up. If we don’t have a rush, pedestrian QBs will eat up above average corners.

Reaction score
I've been doing a little research and one thing is true. There is truth to theory of getting a slew of pass catching playmakers for Aaron. This was our receiving cast in 2011. There's not a player in that bunch that didn't catch double digit TD's or attain multiple 1,000+ yard seasons. Granted Aaron has a habit of bringing the best out of an above average receiver, but we still have Aaron and we just don't have that #4 and #5 receiver that can come in an punish the #2 or #3 opponent's Corner (all due respect to Geronimo) I believe Sutton would be that guy
IF and I mean IF... we go Courtland Sutton and we can resign both Cobb and Jordy to more team friendly contracts, we have to lean heavy on Defense in FA with at least one solid Veteran CB or OLB, a player or two for Defensive depth and a couple of second day picks to back it up

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not sure he is value at 14. I think there will be some better players available.

If we traded back a bit, I could see it.

But we should sit tight and get a better player at position that will have more impact.

Trade back? The guy is a top ten talent. 6'4 225 with 4.4 speed. He is an elite talent for that matter. I can only imagine what Rodgers could do with a talent like Sutton. Might be game over for opposing defenses.

https://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings

https://www.drafttek.com/m/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2018.asp

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Imma be real blunt.

Courtland Sutton might end up being a good WR. As of right now, he is strictly a RZ threat.

It will be 2-3 years before he makes a serious impact. He's fine, but certainly not at 14.

You simply don't know that for certain. Guys jump on the scene all the time earlier then others. Well be lucky if the Bears don't take him and he is even there at 14.

Someone gonna ride that "Cadillac". Mine as well be us.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The nice thing about picking #14 is that there are roughly 5-6 position groups on each side of the ball. One of those position groups (QB) should conceivably take up 3-4 of the first 13 picks which leaves 9-10 remaining picks. Of those 9-10 you have OL, RB, WR, TE (which won't be a factor this early) OLB, ILB, CB, DE, DT, S
Other than Cleveland, the chances of everyone picking from a separate position group is next to zilch. Several of these remaining position groups will be selected more than once before our pick and thus become a bit more depleted than others.
Doing the math and excluding TE this means that there should conceivably be 2-4 position groups that have not been picked over (or picked at all). IMO, its also reasonable to believe RB will be 1-2 of those (with Saquon) and we don't necessarily need that, so that's to our benefit also. We should have our best available selection in each position group already designated for that moment and there will most likely be a surprise in one or two position groups being skipped over.
We should have a very nice selection whatever way the cards fall. There's a big difference between picking 26th or 28th like many years and 14th like this year.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I come from the perspective that replacing incumbents with age+decline+money are the priority, and that means WR and edge, two positions that require a year of seasoning.

I looked at Ridley, Sutton, Kirk and Washington. I'd agree Sutton's the most ready for prime time among that group. He's the most natural catcher of the football in the group. Good hands. Good body control for a man that size. What I like in his tape are a variety of catches: slants, sideline-two-feet-down, bubble screens, back shoulders, deep ball tracking. He's got a "man among boys" look about him. If he goes 4.45 at the Combine, he'd be a viable choice. I'm not sure he's that fast.

What we don't need is just another polished possession receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I come from the perspective that replacing incumbents with age+decline+money are the priority, and that means WR and edge, two positions that require a year of seasoning.

I looked at Ridley, Sutton, Kirk and Washington. I'd agree Sutton's the most ready for prime time among that group. He's the most natural catcher of the football in the group. Good hands. Good body control for a man that size. What I like in his tape are a variety of catches: slants, sideline-two-feet-down, bubble screens, back shoulders, deep ball tracking. He's got a "man among boys" look about him. If he goes 4.45 at the Combine, he'd be a viable choice. I'm not sure he's that fast.

What we don't need is just another polished possession receiver.

All that and a mean stiff arm to go with it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade back? The guy is a top ten talent. 6'4 225 with 4.4 speed. He is an elite talent for that matter. I can only imagine what Rodgers could do with a talent like Sutton. Might be game over for opposing defenses.

https://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings

https://www.drafttek.com/m/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2018.asp

Funny how that elite talent ha
You simply don't know that for certain. Guys jump on the scene all the time earlier then others. Well be lucky if the Bears don't take him and he is even there at 14.

Someone gonna ride that "Cadillac". Mine as well be us.

I don't know that, but you do? Ok. You should probably consider trying to get a scouting job with the Packers.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Funny how that elite talent ha

I don't know that, but you do? Ok. You should probably consider trying to get a scouting job with the Packers.

There are obviously no guarantees with any prospect. With that said I believe we would be very fortunate to end up with a talent like Courtland Sutton at 14. It fills a need and a highly potential upgrade as well at the WR position.

Everyone keeps saying defense, defense, defense but this offense needs another playmaker besides Adams. Rodgers deserves better. Pettine has enough high round draft picks to work with and we can pick up an edge rusher in second round or trade back up if the right guy is there as the Packers have the draft capital to do it. Heck, why not get both?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are obviously no guarantees with any prospect. With that said I believe we would be very fortunate to end up with a talent like Courtland Sutton at 14. It fills a need and a highly potential upgrade as well at the WR position.

Everyone keeps saying defense, defense, defense but this offense needs another playmaker besides Adams. Rodgers deserves better. Pettine has enough high round draft picks to work with and we can pick up an edge rusher in second round or trade back up if the right guy is there as the Packers have the draft capital to do it. Heck, why not get both?

And that's fair. You are more than entitled to that opinion.

I disagree with your evaluation of Sutton, and potentially what's better for this team, but time will tell. We will just have to agree to disagree and move on with this subject.

OP
OP
brandon2348

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
And that's fair. You are more than entitled to that opinion.

I disagree with your evaluation of Sutton, and potentially what's better for this team, but time will tell. We will just have to agree to disagree and move on with this subject.

I like Michael Gallup too out of Colorado State. Gonna come down to his 40 time. He is a guy we could potentially get later.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be fine with the Packers selecting Sutton at the end of the first round but in my opinion he's not talented enough to justify spending the 14th pick on him.

We have enough WRs. I'd like to see Geronimo play more. I'd have to say No unless one if our existing 3 highly paid WRs are moving out.

There's definitely reason to be concerned about the wide receiver position with Nelson getting up there in age and Cobb having struggled the past few seasons. In addition the team doesn't have proven quality depth on the roster.

The only offensive player I’d be fine with st 14 is that OG.

The Packers shouldn't use their highest pick in nine years on a guard.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's definitely reason to be concerned about the wide receiver position with Nelson getting up there in age and Cobb having struggled the past few seasons. In addition the team doesn't have proven quality depth on the roster.
There are other positions that need reinforcement more.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts