Connor Barwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Bill Huber of Scout, the Packers are in the mix on Connor Barwin.

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Packers-have-contacted-Connor-Barwin--51705652

Barwin is coming off a mediocre 2016 with 5 sacks, but he was a poor fit in Philly's 4-3. Perhaps the down year might soften up his market just enough for us to land him, and we'd be set at edge rusher for the upcoming season with Barwin, Perry and Matthews.

No doubt that even with just modest upgrades in the secondary, an improved pass rush would make the coverage look much better.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh he should be a decent contributor out of a rotation.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Bill Huber of Scout, the Packers are in the mix on Connor Barwin.

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Packers-have-contacted-Connor-Barwin--51705652

Barwin is coming off a mediocre 2016 with 5 sacks, but he was a poor fit in Philly's 4-3. Perhaps the down year might soften up his market just enough for us to land him, and we'd be set at edge rusher for the upcoming season with Barwin, Perry and Matthews.

No doubt that even with just modest upgrades in the secondary, an improved pass rush would make the coverage look much better.

Barwin not performing on a high level while playing outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense in 2015 is reason for concern though. I would prefer the Packers to pass on him.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While barwin may not be a problem bowl level guy anymore I think he could definitely be useful depth with how often clay is hurt

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think bringing him in on a small contract would be extremely beneficial. He's a great locker room presence and we're going to miss a little of that with Peppers gone. There's a chance with Clay and Perry, he rebounds as well. I'd say it's worth a shot. We've seen players rebound before when placed in the right system around the right people.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, TPB. Half-decent veteran depth at any position of need is not something I'm going to turn away at this point. We are lacking depth at edge rusher, he's a natural 3-4 OLB that's been playing out of position, and he's always stayed healthy. Good enough for me.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here and the Connor Barwin release basically triggered me to make an account. I would absolutely love this guy on a medium sized contract for two years. Agreed with the above two posts, hes been healthy, is a natural leader and will suit up in our 3-4 defense. I think we will have to add one solid linebacker as i dont see us spending money on a CB (there arent any good ones left anyway). This way we can go double down on CB in the draft. I was also wondering what you guys think of ILB Zach Browns and Deandre Levy on short-term contracts? Cheers

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Barwin not performing on a high level while playing outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense in 2015 is reason for concern though. I would prefer the Packers to pass on him.

Chip Kelly, the dorkiest coach in NFL history, was his coach in 2015. PHI was running that stupid INDY 500 offense, so, the defense would get off the field and literally 90 seconds later PHI was punting because they blew through three downs that quickly. Barwin and the rest of the PHI defense was constantly being forced back into the game without a decent breather because of the fool Chip Kelly idiot offense.

Seems unfair to me to hold that goofball Chip Kelly's numbskull coaching against Barwin.

I'll bet he puts up at least 9-or-10 sacks and 25+ pressures in GB if we sign him.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here and the Connor Barwin release basically triggered me to make an account. I would absolutely love this guy on a medium sized contract for two years. Agreed with the above two posts, hes been healthy, is a natural leader and will suit up in our 3-4 defense. I think we will have to add one solid linebacker as i dont see us spending money on a CB (there arent any good ones left anyway). This way we can go double down on CB in the draft. I was also wondering what you guys think of ILB Zach Browns and Deandre Levy on short-term contracts? Cheers

welcome to the forum, elcid
aside from the forum threads, there's a tab at the top called "shoutbox" which is a live text chat for forum users. it's usually very, very active on game days and during the draft. enter shoutbox at your own peril though. you may leave with a venereal disease or two.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Everything I read about Barwin I like. Virtually injury free, at least as far as missing games. Great locker room and community guy. Consistent sack totals and a true 3-4 guy who can get to the QB, tackle and play pass coverage.

I'm not concerned about his 2016 drop (only 5 sacks) due to having to switch to a 4-3. Someone else pointed out in another thread, his 2015 numbers dipped (7 sacks) a bit because he was switched over to the right side of the line, where you typically face the other teams best tackle. Even with those two "off" years, he has 4 more sacks than Matthews in the last 3 years.

This is the mid range vet I like to see. With Matthews future in GB being murky, especially after 2017, we need depth and productivity. Barwin could be that guy, without breaking the bank.

and oh yeah, the kind of FA pickup TT likes, no offset to his coveted compensatory picks.

Last edited:

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score

Following up my prior rant, in 2015 the Eagles were dead last (32nd) in time of possession only having the ball 43.44% of every game. That equated 25:51 minutes per game on average. (They were last in 2013 and 2014, too...the beating these players endured had been going on ever since Kelly took over.)

Barwin and that Eagles' defense were not only getting little rest between drives, they were on the field for over 34 minutes every week.

Chip Kelly destroyed that defense for three seasons. Then in 2016 a whole new coaching staff and switch to a 4-3 for Barwin.

I'm giving Barwin the benefit of the doubt here, he'd be a great replacement for Peppers.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Following up my prior rant, in 2015 the Eagles were dead last (32nd) in time of possession only having the ball 43.44% of every game. That equated 25:51 minutes per game on average. (They were last in 2013 and 2014, too...the beating these players endured had been going on ever since Kelly took over.)

Barwin and that Eagles' defense were not only getting little rest between drives, they were on the field for over 34 minutes every week.

Chip Kelly destroyed that defense for three seasons. Then in 2016 a whole new coaching staff and switch to a 4-3 for Barwin.

I'm giving Barwin the benefit of the doubt here, he'd be a great replacement for Peppers.

Fresher legs too.

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Barwin would be a great replacement for Peppers and upgrade at this point in their respective careers. Extremely humble, great in the community, and would be an awesome locker room presence. Also still has a lot left in the tank at 30. Bring him to Green Bay and help solidify the edge.

H

HardRightEdge

Not sure how you're going to pay for Barwin with the cap space down to $20 mil with Perry and Bennett signed.

Cut Matthews?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not sure how you're going to pay for Barwin with the cap space down to $20 mil with Perry and Bennett signed.

Cut Matthews?

They still have cap space.

But a good question, how much will it take to sign Barwin? From what I can find, Barwin was slated to make around $8M this year and already had told the Eagles he was willing to take a pay cut. So my guess..... $5-7M

If the Packers are even remotely thinking about keeping Jones around, use his money and put it towards signing Barwin.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cut Matthews?

Actually after the Perry and Bennett deals it more like 29 million.

Kendricks deal still needs to be factored in but they still have space for a couple of moves

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like Zach Brown from a numbers standpoint. He just finished 2nd in the league in tackles and made the pro bowl. For some reason it doesn't seem like he is overly coveted right now. Probably because 2016 was his first legit season. He would be a nice addition to our ILB core and would start. Give some time for Blake to develop a little more cause he needs it.

Do Barwin and Brown if nothing else is my train of thought. Missed the boat on bringing in a true #1 CB which sucks. But strengthening up the front 7 even more would be a great thing.

Pipe Dream: Dontari Poe OR Donta Hightower. Each would be a monster signing, Id say both are in the 10-12 range, but Russ would probably back load it like he did for Perry and Bennett and make either of them have maybe a 7 mil 2017 cap hit. Come to think of it, if you did back load it like that, you can make a Poe/Hightower move AND something else like Barwin or maybe Claiborne/Revis/House/Kayvon Webster.

So many options left to improve this squad with 27 or so mil in space. Hell it may still even be bringing back Lang and Lacy, which works I suppose.
I think we are a better team with 2 of the guys I mentioned above than we are a worse team without Lang and Lacy though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we will have to add one solid linebacker as i dont see us spending money on a CB (there arent any good ones left anyway). This way we can go double down on CB in the draft. I was also wondering what you guys think of ILB Zach Browns and Deandre Levy on short-term contracts? Cheers

The Packers could still add a veteran cornerback in free agency, although a bit risky, or via trade. I would have liked the team to sign Brown last offseason therefore wouldn't mind bringing him in on a reasonable deal.

Chip Kelly, the dorkiest coach in NFL history, was his coach in 2015. PHI was running that stupid INDY 500 offense, so, the defense would get off the field and literally 90 seconds later PHI was punting because they blew through three downs that quickly. Barwin and the rest of the PHI defense was constantly being forced back into the game without a decent breather because of the fool Chip Kelly idiot offense.

Seems unfair to me to hold that goofball Chip Kelly's numbskull coaching against Barwin.

I'll bet he puts up at least 9-or-10 sacks and 25+ pressures in GB if we sign him.

While Kelly's offense might have factored into Barwin regressing in 2015 he had his best season while playing in the same system only a year earlier. It's possible he would bounce back with the Packers but I'm not convinced about it.

Pipe Dream: Dontari Poe OR Donta Hightower. Each would be a monster signing, Id say both are in the 10-12 range, but Russ would probably back load it like he did for Perry and Bennett and make either of them have maybe a 7 mil 2017 cap hit. Come to think of it, if you did back load it like that, you can make a Poe/Hightower move AND something else like Barwin or maybe Claiborne/Revis/House/Kayvon Webster.

Dontari Poe is another big name player that hasn't performed up to the contract he will receive this offseason. The Packers should pass on him. I'm not sure why Webster would improve the team's secondary either.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cut Matthews?

They got plenty left. It was $28M remaining in space after Bennett only having a $3.85M cap number this year. I'm not sure what is left after Kendricks, but I would guess $25M or so at least.

With the backloaded nature of NFL contracts for the most part, we could sign a $10M per year defensive player and probably end up with no more than a $8M cap hit this year. Maybe less, Perry's is only $6M this year.

I'm all for restructuring Matthews, don't see it happening though. On the plus side his cap number goes down by 4M in 2018 so while he looks too expensive now if he has a nice rebound season he'll look like a bargain next year.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dontari Poe is another big name player that hasn't performed up to the contract he will receive this offseason. The Packers should pass on him. I'm not sure why Webster would improve the team's secondary either.

Trust me, I was leading the Gilmore or Bouye train. And I am now leading the Butler or Trumaine Johnson train. I want them to sign a true #1 corner more than anything. But those last two remaining options seem bleak cause it's TT. So those other names are all I got. Pair any of them with an early round draft pick and we might have something.

Thing with Poe is, he might be in prove it deal territory. It's already determined that he won't sign long term for the huge deal he probably wants. So it's either one year prove it deal or it's long term for less than what you thought.

D

Deleted member 6794

Trust me, I was leading the Gilmore or Bouye train. And I am now leading the Butler or Trumaine Johnson train. I want them to sign a true #1 corner more than anything. But those last two remaining options seem bleak cause it's TT. So those other names are all I got. Pair any of them with an early round draft pick and we might have something.

Webster hasn't performed on a decent level over his four year career with the Broncos though and wouldn't present an upgrade over any of the cornerbacks currently on the roster.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I dont see how not more people are interested in bringing this guy to Lambeau Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts